PDA

View Full Version : my temp light stays on.

ThorMX17
09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
ok, i just bought this bike today and the temp light stays on even when its been sitting for a long time. like, a few days or whatever. it comes on when i start it. there is a wire that is supposed to go to the water pump i think on the front of the engine at the top. its not there though. does that have anything to do with that? in the pic, the wire is there, its another bike. if that wire has nothing to do with it, what would it be?

mc_racer
09-06-2008, 02:37 PM
That is the temp wire that turns the light on.
Does you fan run all the time? If it does, sounds like the prior owner grounded the wire to make the fan run constantly, which will make the light stay on also.
Another option is that it came loose and touching something and grounding itself. Not as likely though since it has a rubber cover around the terminal.
I'd start looking for a grounded wire that has a non factory terminal. Maybe start looking where the coil is grounded.

bobbys9350
09-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Couldn't have said it better......

ThorMX17
09-06-2008, 03:46 PM
alright, thanks, ill look for a wire grounded. ill just unplug my temp light and remove it. just extra weight anyway. thanks alot guys.

KILLAQuad
09-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by mc_racer
That is the temp wire that turns the light on.
Does you fan run all the time? If it does, sounds like the prior owner grounded the wire to make the fan run constantly, which will make the light stay on also.
Another option is that it came loose and touching something and grounding itself. Not as likely though since it has a rubber cover around the terminal.
I'd start looking for a grounded wire that has a non factory terminal. Maybe start looking where the coil is grounded.

^^^ What he said ... ;)

ThorMX17
09-08-2008, 09:55 AM
ok, my fan does run all the time. he grounded that wire. im glad he already did cause i wanted to do that anyway. the CRF i traded for it ran hot when i got into some slow tighter trails or when trying to navigate a water hole. hopefully the fan will help this not run hot. thanks for the help guys.

KILLAQuad
09-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ThorMX17
ok, my fan does run all the time. he grounded that wire. im glad he already did cause i wanted to do that anyway. the CRF i traded for it ran hot when i got into some slow tighter trails or when trying to navigate a water hole. hopefully the fan will help this not run hot. thanks for the help guys.

Proper jetting will help as well ...

ThorMX17
09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
the CRF was spot on jetting wise. i have heard of alot of problems with the CRFs running a tad hot when going slow. they rely solely on the radiator scoops and moving to get air. some people put fans on them but i didnt want to mess with that. they had to rewind the stator and all that crap cause it only has enough power for the ignition.

i got this quad 2 days ago and havent got a chance to mess with it much yet. im gonna check the jetting and a few other things before i go ride it much.