PDA

View Full Version : Check Out The NEW 2009 Honda Trx400X!!!

atvmaster0927
09-06-2008, 08:56 AM
This year for 09 they realeased a new model called the Trx400X

This thing looks pretty cool, compared to the others.

Check it out, and leave your thoughts/comments.

http://powersports.honda.com/atvs/sport/model.asp?ModelName=TRX400X&ModelYear=2009&ModelId=TRX400X9

Here's what they had to say:

The TRX400X strikes an excellent balance between all-out, race-ready performance, reliability, and sport ATV riding ergonomics. Its legendary SOHC, 397cc, air-cooled, dry-sump RFVC Honda engine combined with triple-disc brakes, long-travel, Baja-ready Pro-Link® suspension, standard reverse, one-thumb electric start and radical race-style bodywork, means you're looking at a machine that's just as dedicated as you are.

ENGINE
Engine Type 397cc RFVC air-cooled dry-sump single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke 85.0mm x 70.0mm
Induction 38mm piston-valve with accelerator pump
Ignition CD with electronic advance
Starter Electric

DRIVE TRAIN
Clutch Manual
Transmission Five-speed with reverse
Driveline O-ring-sealed chain

CHASSIS / SUSPENSION / BRAKES
Front Suspension Independent double-wishbone with Showa shocks, five-position spring preload adjustability; 8.2 inches travel
Rear Suspension Pro-Link fully adjustable single Showa shock; 9.1 inches travel
Front Brakes Dual hydraulic 174mm discs
Rear Brake Single 220mm disc
Front Tires 22 x 7-10 knobby radial
Rear Tires 20 x 10-9 knobby radial

DIMENSIONS
Length 72.2 inches
Width 45.3 inches
Height 43.7 inches
Wheelbase 48.4 inches
Seat Height 31.9 inches
Ground Clearance 4.3 inches
Turning Radius 10.5 feet
Curb Weight 410 lbs (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel—ready to ride)
Fuel Capacity 2.6 gallons (including 0.4-gallon reserve)

OTHER
Note No operator under age 16. Honda recommends that all ATV riders take a training course and read their owner's manual thoroughly.
Available Colors Black/White, Red/Black, Black
Model ID TRX400X

FACTORY WARRANTY INFORMATION
One year

Banshee_370
09-06-2008, 09:12 AM
so what did they change from 08?

bbender85
09-06-2008, 09:13 AM
what's the difference between it and the EX?

Yippie-Ki-Yay
09-06-2008, 09:22 AM
This year instead of giving you bold new graphics which you all love, and instead of improving anything, we give you..A BOLD NEW NAME! All of the 09's are called x, instead of ex, so buy it now!!!

atvmaster0927
09-06-2008, 09:32 AM
It's basicly just new plastics and graphics. BUT, with race style.

I just wanted to post this to see everyones opinion. I dont like it at all.

krt400ex
09-06-2008, 10:33 AM
i dont like it...and i think it was dumb to change the name. there are no new innovative changes that might constitute a name change to be able to tell the difference between the ex and x. it is dumb and i think honda needs to get their act together.

brian76708
09-06-2008, 10:36 AM
has any one seen the 09 crf50r can u say ugly although they do come with a Steering Damper and EFI which is cool

09-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by brian76708
has any one seen the 09 crf50r can u say ugly although they do come with a Steering Damper and EFI which is cool

are you serious? that bike is amazing!

krt400ex
09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
are you serious? that bike is amazing!

completely agree. that bike is hot

brian76708
09-06-2008, 11:54 AM
the 08 body style looks way better to me also the shorty on the 09 looks retarted IMO also the rear plastic there is way to much

on the other hand the trx450r looks ba with the BNG and painted frame a nice accent color to go with white

krt400ex
09-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
the 08 body style looks way better to me also the shorty on the 09 looks retarted IMO also the rear plastic there is way to much

on the other hand the trx450r looks ba with the BNG and painted frame a nice accent color to go with white

yes the 450R is hott, but i dont care for the black rims...

i dont care for the shorty silencer on the crf, but i love th body work and graphics.

HondaRaceReady
09-06-2008, 01:14 PM
"The TRX400X strikes an excellent balance between all-out, race-ready performance, reliability, and sport ATV riding ergonomics."
They should have never said anything about the 400ex even being close to race ready. The ******* 450r isn't even race ready from the factory.

HondaRaceReady
09-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Just noticed all of their bikes are just x now. 300x, 250x... They have a 250x again, but it sucks compared to the old one with a real clutch.

Snipe
09-06-2008, 02:25 PM
It looks identical to my 08 ex lmao even the same color. Check the thread (lets see them ex's) and mine is on the 3rd page I think exact same bike lol.

leasureryan
09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
nobody noticed that it's the SUSPENSION that is differant???

09' come with long travel suspension, and a prolink swingarm.....cool, but not differant enough to be considered a "New Model" IMO

atvmaster0927
09-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Yes i did notice it. i was wondering if anyone else did too.

09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
its the same shocks and all i think they just reworded it to sound different and new

maxfior
09-06-2008, 03:51 PM
...no NOS?

hypersnyper6947
09-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Did you guys see the 09 z400 its pretty sick, honda needs to do something to keep up and this isnt it. I do like the color scheme though, its the same as last year but i love the white and black.

09-06-2008, 04:02 PM
Believe it or not, I would rather have a 09 z-400 in a heartbeat.

I could care less for the 03-08 Z's, but the 09's are sick!

REDRIDDER
09-06-2008, 05:22 PM
I love my Honda's but what a joke, whats next year going to bring a Trx400x with hand warmers. What a disappointment for 09 but the CRF450R should be kick *** lol.

REDRIDDER
09-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by leasureryan
nobody noticed that it's the SUSPENSION that is differant???

09' come with long travel suspension, and a prolink swingarm.....cool, but not differant enough to be considered a "New Model" IMO I'm confused I didn't see any difference in suspension,both the 08 and the 09 400ex have the same specs am I missing something or what?

Snipe
09-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Everything is the exact same open 2 notepads on your comp click on the link in the first post. Copy all the specs from the 09 and paste in one notepad then go to the same link and look for the 08 and copy and paste the specs in the other notepad its the exact some bike just paid some random guy to black out the E in the name lol.:D

BlasterEaten250
09-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Why in the world would they change the name? :ermm:
400x sounds stupid...

bbender85
09-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
I'm confused I didn't see any difference in suspension,both the 08 and the 09 400ex have the same specs am I missing something or what?

that's what i originally thought was maybe different.. so i looked too before i posted before; everything's this same.

elmer91
09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
the only thing that is new this year is they added all black plastic, along with the 'X'

Snipe
09-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I wish they had the all black on the 08 I would had bought that. lol

Yippie-Ki-Yay
09-07-2008, 07:25 AM
Getting rid of that useless "E" makes the new 400x lighter, and even MORE unbeatable!

leasureryan
09-07-2008, 07:58 AM
The Z's are now fuel injected.......which Honda needs to do to keep up

stoopidbot
09-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Why would Honda change everything? The 400 is one of the top selling quads. Because they don't make some huge change everyone is pissed. Why try and fix what's not broken. For Honda being so out of date, they sure do take a lot of podiums.

brian76708
09-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
Why would Honda change everything? The 400 is one of the top selling quads. Because they don't make some huge change everyone is pissed. Why try and fix what's not broken. For Honda being so out of date, they sure do take a lot of podiums.

the truth hurts they are outdated the z400 spanks them have you ever thought the reason why they take so many podiums is because people throw thousand of dollars at them to make them the best. have you ever thought that this machine has been virtually unchanged for 10 years I am not trying to bash it but come on its time for something new just think of how much technology has changed in the past 10 years i think its past time. the 400 is a solid beast and was ahead of its time when it first came out but its past its time and it should be ready to move on to such items as liquid cooled and efi.

09-07-2008, 09:10 AM
there is no way Honda has the best selling 400ex as of last year. The 2008 I think were worse and 2009 they didnt do anything but color change and the 2009 z400 is wider, has better shocks, has more power... if I had the money and I was forced to buy a new 400 I would be buying the z400.

stoopidbot
09-07-2008, 09:35 AM
I never said it was the best selling. I said it is one of the leaders in sales. I agree that they SHOULD make the upgrades, but look at it from a profit point of view. It doesn't cost them squat to change plastics and color. They continue to sell more than enough every year to make a huge profit. There are a lot more people that buy a machine and ride it stock than drop 1000s of dollars into it for racing. Honda is a VERY reliable name and people trust them. Most of Honda's sales are to the recreational rider. Honda offers good support to people who race red. (at least they did when I ran Whiplash Series on 2 wheels)

elmer91
09-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
there is no way Honda has the best selling 400ex as of last year. The 2008 I think were worse and 2009 they didnt do anything but color change and the 2009 z400 is wider, has better shocks, has more power... if I had the money and I was forced to buy a new 400 I would be buying the z400.

I agree...I am a honda man through and through, but the z400 is a better buy. the 400x is $6,149. the z400 is $6,199. for $50, you can get a now overall better bike.

Snipe
09-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I agree with ya'll on the honda needing to step up a bit.

But one of the great things about these quads and what makes them so buyable is not all the fancy water cooled bull crap or anything like that but the fact that I can take my 08 and buy some **** from a 99 and bolt it right on.

That is what makes the ex one of the top bikes talked about, everyone always has something to say about the 400ex weather it be its the best bike in the world or it sucks there always talking about it lol.

My point is if it aint broke dont fix it, I ride mostly woods off road trails (try racing mx on the offroad its awhole lot harder). now I wouldnt like the watercooled casue I mean all it takes is one rock kicked up or another bike sliding throwing stuff and you put a pin hole in the radiator that is pretty exposed and before you know it your piston has welded to your engine wall.

Not my thing at all I actually prefer to stay away from the watercooled crap.

Only thing I would add to the ex is a efi carb that would be nice and yes I woulda left the E alone that is what makes this quad this quad the EX quad.

dynofox
09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
I agree with ya'll on the honda needing to step up a bit.

But one of the great things about these quads and what makes them so buyable is not all the fancy water cooled bull crap or anything like that but the fact that I can take my 08 and buy some **** from a 99 and bolt it right on.

That is what makes the ex one of the top bikes talked about, everyone always has something to say about the 400ex weather it be its the best bike in the world or it sucks there always talking about it lol.

My point is if it aint broke dont fix it, I ride mostly woods off road trails (try racing mx on the offroad its awhole lot harder). now I wouldnt like the watercooled casue I mean all it takes is one rock kicked up or another bike sliding throwing stuff and you put a pin hole in the radiator that is pretty exposed and before you know it your piston has welded to your engine wall.

Not my thing at all I actually prefer to stay away from the watercooled crap.

Only thing I would add to the ex is a efi carb that would be nice and yes I woulda left the E alone that is what makes this quad this quad the EX quad.

If water cooling was so unreliable every other performance ATV wouldn't have it. How often do you hear of any race quad having problems with the cooling system, its very minimal.

I've owned a few 400ex's in the past and really liked them but if I were to walk into a dealership right now looking for a new 400cc sport quad I would buy the Z400 in a heartbeat over the 400x. Honestly it would be crazy for someone to buy the honda over the new Z.:huh

stoopidbot
09-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
Honestly it would be crazy for someone to buy the honda over the new Z.:huh
That is where the die hards like myself come into play. I won't buy anything but red.

09-07-2008, 06:05 PM
That is where the die hards like myself come into play. I won't buy anything but red.

yeah as much as I love Honda I wouldnt even consider buying the 2008 or 2009. I rather buy a used older model. The new Z400 is nice though but i'm happy with what I have

09-07-2008, 06:18 PM

And that's why you own a YAMAHA rhino:p

haha, j/p man.

stoopidbot
09-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
And that's why you own a YAMAHA rhino:p

haha, j/p man.

That's my ladies. LOL Good observation though.

coryatver
09-07-2008, 07:06 PM
I always thought ex sounded kind of wimpy just x sounds much better. I have a feeling since they named the 700xx with two x's they are going to just be using x for straight axle and xx for independent.

They slap efi on the z and everybody goes crazy for them. They still are a z400 with some more shine. Bells and whistles don't get you home from a long day of riding or finish a race without getting towed out.

I don't buy into the EFI hype. It will cost 1000 bucks to put a full exhuast on the z becuase you will need a controller when you can get a 3 dollar jet for the 400ex....uh i mean 400x.

And I think the less complex something is that performs just as good as the complicated option the simple one is the best choice! We run these quads through the most nasty conditions mud, water, rocks, sticks, hard impacts and so on. When something happens with the efi good luck troubleshooting that!

Snipe
09-07-2008, 07:20 PM
On a MX track a watercooler wouldnt be that big a deal but you come ride with me buddy I have seen time and time again replacing of radiators and so on cause of it.

Not my first choice in a quad actually when I bought my quad that was the exact reason I didnt buy a 450R a KFX 400 450 or 700 they were all setting less than 3 feet from the one I picked out cause mine wasnt water cooled lol.

stoopidbot
09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by coryatver

And I think the less complex something is that performs just as good as the complicated option the simple one is the best choice! Come ride in the Rockies, Any given day can range from 7,000 up to 13,800 is the highest I've been. Tell me EFI would not out perform a carb. I feel the effects on my 450R

coryatver
09-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Come ride in the Rockies, Any given day can range from 7,000 up to 13,800 is the highest I've been. Tell me EFI would not out perform a carb. I feel the effects on my 450R

I agree EFI would definitly be great for those conditions. Majority of people don't have to deal with that though.

stoopidbot
09-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
I agree EFI would definitly be great for those conditions. Majority of people don't have to deal with that though. Yeah, I manage. You just have to get going REALLY fast so by the time you get up that high you're still cruising!

When you get that high you end up working the clutch like a 2 stroke.

krt400ex
09-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Snipe

i agree with that. i got to replace a radiator on my kx now cuz i twisted it up today...that sucked balz. but, while all the other manufacturers are making updates to their machine...honeda has just made it worse with the lousy plastics and what not. i think that the bike has gone down hill. they need to do something to improve it.

people want the newest and the best...people hear that this or that has been updated and they assume "oh, this is the best"...that is just the way the vast majority of our population works. if honda wants to keep its sales up, they had better throw a little pizzaz into the mix or else the other manufacturers are going to outsell them.

dynofox
09-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i agree with that. i got to replace a radiator on my kx now cuz i twisted it up today...that sucked balz. but, while all the other manufacturers are making updates to their machine...honeda has just made it worse with the lousy plastics and what not. i think that the bike has gone down hill. they need to do something to improve it.

people want the newest and the best...people hear that this or that has been updated and they assume "oh, this is the best"...that is just the way the vast majority of our population works. if honda wants to keep its sales up, they had better throw a little pizzaz into the mix or else the other manufacturers are going to outsell them.

You can't really compare radiator damage issues on a bike to a quad, a bikes radiator is much easier to damage than a quads.

dynofox
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM

Honda does have a lot of die hards and I like them as well. I've owned many in the past and still have 2 250rs but I just can't see buying a certain brand just because you always have when there are options out there that have more features for basically the same $$. Why can't honda at least put an FCR on the 400? How about some decent front shocks that are at least rebuildable so they can be custom valved? These are things that should have happened to the 400 many years ago IMO and I'm sure even the die hards agree.

krt400ex
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
You can't really compare radiator damage issues on a bike to a quad, a bikes radiator is much easier to damage than a quads.

that wasnt my point. all i was saying is that is just sux when you mess them up. and if you dont realize it...you can cook your engine, as i almost did cuz i didnt notice it.

Snipe
09-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Thats why I wont have a radiator on any bike I have. Cause in a new twist we also race woods at night and its just to big a risk for me ill never have a radiator or water cooler on my quad.

smelly$cat
09-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I think the ergonomics of the z are worse than the ex stock for stock. z's feel more tippy to me vs. the ex. z's feel like they have less bottom end as well vs the ex. I haven't ridden a newer z though. Someon e mentioned here that they are now wider, so, that might change things.

Dangerous400EX
09-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I got my 400 for $4500 out the door with a couple helmets and some boots, I dont think the z400's are anywhere near that price.

Also I am oldschool, and I like air cooling and carbs. I have enough other toys with efi and computers, I didnt want that extra headache on my quad.

I dont think there is anything wrong with leaving the 400ex the same every year, but there is no way in hell it should be $6000 MSRP. For $4500 though I think its one hell of a quad.

dynofox
09-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Dangerous400EX
I got my 400 for $4500 out the door with a couple helmets and some boots, I dont think the z400's are anywhere near that price.

Also I am oldschool, and I like air cooling and carbs. I have enough other toys with efi and computers, I didnt want that extra headache on my quad.

I dont think there is anything wrong with leaving the 400ex the same every year, but there is no way in hell it should be $6000 MSRP. For $4500 though I think its one hell of a quad.

Excellent point, if they priced it better it would be completely different.

krt400ex
09-08-2008, 07:52 PM
i do have to say that i much prefer a carb over the efi on a quad. i hate out everything is so technical and electric

Snipe
09-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Now you could prob get a 08 for around 5000 I gave 5800 for mine brand new its all like everything els wages goes up so do prices lol.

honda400ex2003
09-08-2008, 08:03 PM
What Da? Honda is really losing points quick. Now this! I did not like the looks of the new ones and the only thing that made it close to the old one is gone too. it is a sad day. Not only are they getting wooped in 400 class look at the 4x4s and stuff. Can Am is dominating here in tomahawk, WI. i assume this is true alot of places since i am seeing alot of can ams on trails all over WI and Michigan. My dealer is a honda/can am dealer and I bet he sells at least 3 to 1. Honda definately needs to look at their line up. Too bad. I still like honda but some things just bug the crap out of me. I still wish everyday they will go back to the old look so I can buy a new one with reverse. i guess next will have to be a 450r before they totally screw that one too. We should get together and email honda and say how we feel. Maybe, just maybe they will actually listen just a tad and do something for us the consumers. Anyone know anyone at Honda motors they could email? Good luck, im in for anything, Steve

stoopidbot
09-08-2008, 11:34 PM
An Email won't do crap, Do you know how many phone calls and letters and emails these guys get EVERY YEAR. Honda has a plan, be patient. All these guys that claim to be Honda diehards, you guys ***** an awful lot about Honda.

honda400ex2003
09-09-2008, 04:08 AM
An email may not work but possibly a few thousand could. I still love my 400 and will never ever get rid of it no matter how many times I rebuild it or have to fix it or anything. one day i want to have the whole line up back to the 250r till now. steve

honda400ex2003
09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Anyone up for it?

09-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Everyone always says the new 08 plastic is ugly..

I think it's hot. It looks sportier and pointier. All the other ex's are kinda bubbley.
Plus, when sitting on it, it feels much sportier and agile.

How can you say this is ugly?

09-12-2008, 09:42 PM

09-12-2008, 09:43 PM
tres
(BTW, this is 08400EX's quad)

04TRX400EX
09-13-2008, 12:01 AM
I think the point everyone is trying to make is this: Honda does indeed have a huge die-hard fan following that will only buy a Honda. However, when other manufacturers continously update their quads with performance enhancing products or at least something worth talking about besides new graphics, the "die-hards" even begin to question their loyalty to Honda. There comes a point when loyalty and past experience takes a back seat to the value of money. As others have pointed out, in this new comparison between the 400X and the Z400, for virtually the same price the Z is by far the better way to go for a variety of reasons. Sure, Honda will still sell a bunch of 400X's but they at least need to take into consideration what their customers want (like a simple adjustable shock that performs worth a damn) so that they do not inadvertantly turn away those customers. I mean how hard would it be to put some 450R knock-offs on the 400 so you could at least get them rebuilt?

As for the carb vs. EFI discussion, I will agree carbs are a lot easier and work great when setup properly. If you are building a track quad for example, once you tune it you really are not going to touch it anyways so the EFI is not that big of a deal. On the other hand, EFI does equal better throttle response (usually) and allows you to more accurately tune the engine across the powerband.

honda400ex2003
09-13-2008, 09:13 AM
EXACTLY That is perfect!!!

RATPACK Z400
09-14-2008, 10:27 AM
the exs selling for 4500 is cause nobodys buying them theres to much to choose from these days,The Z year after year gets REAL updates not that honda bullsh1t update they call the letter x an update new plastics to change the appearance to look fast when its really just a polished turd! people need to realize the 400ex was never a race quad its a trail quad.the Z was the first race quad except the cannondale to hit the scene then they upped the ccs to 450 then the new 450s shined and the z still ran with 450s there was no 400ex running with 450s in the pro level ever and winning! I had both ex and Z and I would never go back to 400ex.

08400EX
10-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by elmer91
the only thing that is new this year is they added all black plastic,

Too funny, I sent pics of my all black 08 to a contact at the Honda factory in SC... I guess they liked it also :-)

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2135d.JPG

scuzz
10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Man, I miss my 400EX. Those quads are awesome.

Futurefelon400
10-01-2008, 04:08 PM
All this talk between the 400's is easily explainable.. Honda hasnt always had the "fastest" bikes, quads, etc... BUT the machines that they build are ledgendary... Look at the 300ex, the fourtrax 300 2WD and 4x4, and CBR900, and the 400ex.. All 3 are ledgendary quads. (the900rr is on the street) I remember as a kid reading the shootouts in dirtwheels and honda was all the rage and to this day the 400ex is one of the best all around sport quads ever built... The problem is that no-one whats a sport quad. Everyone wants a 450 "race quad".. Honda, kawi, suzki, and yamaha. thats all I ever hear about anymore... Truth be told is that most "450" owners dont even race their quads. they trail ride em', so whats the point of owning one. Most of my friends ride the 450's and all they can brag about is racing down the street... Well if thats all u wanna do buy a banshee or zilla, then talk... Honda is known for its quality and handling.. I had 2 CBR 929's that could out handle most of the newer bikes.. Most people care about "racing " now and thats why honda changed the look of the 400ex (or whatever they wanna call it).. and thats all i have to say about that!!!

bigredisb
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Futurefelon400
Honda hasnt always had the "fastest" bikes, quads, etc... BUT the machines that they build are ledgendary... Look at the 300ex, the fourtrax 300 2WD and 4x4, and CBR900, and the 400ex.. All 3 are ledgendary quads. (the900rr is on the street) I remember as a kid reading the shootouts in dirtwheels and honda was all the rage and to this day the 400ex is one of the best all around sport quads ever built

Wow this is so true. What sold me on Honda years ago was watching farmers beat the hell out of the old 300 4X4's. I had never seen a piece of machinery keep coming back for more like that. Fastest no but tested and durable yes.
I had the choice between a 450r and my 07 EX and I chose the EX because I also remember reading about the EX in dirtwheels during its initial release. I wanted one so bad I lost sleep over it. So when I finally had the right time bam I bought one and a couple months later, I bought another one!
I am not trying to burst anyones bubble but no matter what you build somebody probably has somthing faster. Build your machine to your liking and enjoy it forever! After all its a Honda!

P.S. No one in my opinion has a better looking quad than 08400EX!

racerdan24
10-03-2008, 08:40 PM
looks like my 08 EX.....Only i sure as heck didnt pay 6000 for mine about 2 months ago!

10-03-2008, 09:34 PM
What I really love..

When the 400ex first came out, it was the best thing to hit the sport ATV scene.

Every magazine raved about it. How it was the most race-ready, had explosive power, and the best stock suspension. It was a huge hit and had no competition.
It was the biggest, baddest 4-stroke you can buy.

These days it gets beat up left and right. They say the power is timid and tame, the stock suspension sucks, and don't really say much else. It went from a almost race-quad to a timid trail bike.

:ermm:

Amazing how things change.. when my dad was a teenager, the warrior was the biggest baddest 4-stroke you can buy:huh lmfao

hypersnyper6947
10-03-2008, 09:50 PM
yep, i remember reading about it in dirt-wheels and then i saw one out on the trail i was like WOW there it is. Now i have one and i think its pretty awesome. I really dont think stock or mildley modded 450's have much on me, i would rather be on mine.

HondaRaceReady
10-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Too funny, I sent pics of my all black 08 to a contact at the Honda factory in SC... I guess they liked it also :-)
Only person I've ever seen run iRazr's.

08400EX
10-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
Only person I've ever seen run iRazr's.

They are very impressive, handling is fantastic, smooth ride and grip like crazy when the going gets tough. Best trail tire for a Sport Quad I have ever owned.

bigredisb
10-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I have the I razr's on my list. Radials do have some psoitives like traction. The construction and Agriculture markets have all stated switching to radials for the advantages they offer. I mostly trail ride in very uneven terrian and rocks which I think the Radials conform much better providing a stable ride and handling.

08400EX
10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by bigredisb
.... I mostly trail ride in very uneven terrian and rocks which I think the Radials conform much better providing a stable ride and handling.

That is a fact. When I switched from Razrs to IRazrs I found I was no longer being bounced off of obstacles but simply zooming over them along the path I aimed for. HUGE difference.

A side benefit was being able to ride longer without being beat up and getting arm pump trying to maintain my intended direction.

powermadd400ex
10-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
That is a fact. When I switched from Razrs to IRazrs I found I was no longer being bounced off of obstacles but simply zooming over them along the path I aimed for. HUGE difference.

A side benefit was being able to ride longer without being beat up and getting arm pump trying to maintain my intended direction.
not trying to go OT but
do they wear fast?

08400EX
10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
not trying to go OT but
do they wear fast?

Opps, I guess we have gone into hijack mode, my apologies.

Last comment from me on this, I haven't noticed wear being an issue and I have put a lot of miles on asphalt between towns in West VA. Certainly don't wear as fast as the stock tires.

dynofox
10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
What I really love..

When the 400ex first came out, it was the best thing to hit the sport ATV scene.

Every magazine raved about it. How it was the most race-ready, had explosive power, and the best stock suspension. It was a huge hit and had no competition.
It was the biggest, baddest 4-stroke you can buy.

These days it gets beat up left and right. They say the power is timid and tame, the stock suspension sucks, and don't really say much else. It went from a almost race-quad to a timid trail bike.

:ermm:

Amazing how things change.. when my dad was a teenager, the warrior was the biggest baddest 4-stroke you can buy:huh lmfao

It is funny how things change, stock sport quad power and suspension has come a long way since '99 when the 400ex came out. The shock packages that come on the new 450's and even the z 400 are all better than the 400ex's. It's a shame that honda can't put a decent pair of front shocks on the 400, even a revalved and resprung version of the 450r shocks would be a nice addition.

Although the mags really loved the 400ex when it came out it still was not better than a 250r, didn't handle as well, wasn't as powerful and was heavier. It did have one thing going for it, ease of use, the 400ex is easy to ride thanks to its smooth power delivery. Don't get me wrong the 400ex is / was a great quad, I've actually owned 2 in the past but now have a pair of 250r's and don't miss the 400's at all.