PDA

View Full Version : For the Hunters

dmaxx
09-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Wondering what everyones take on high fence hunting is? I work for someone who has high fence and has some extreme bucks. He has put some big money into making a very large ( 1200 plus acres ) and a very nice preserve. Some will hate on them some will be for them and some will not say. I just wonder what reasons you may have if you like em or not and why.

Pappy
09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Id say that for me, it would depend on the size of the impoundment and the number of hunters. 1200 acres and 3 or 4 hunters in that size of an area is fair chase as long as its not dirt and open range. Most deer have less then that for a home range.

I dont agree with all out hunting operations that use high fence, but for some its the only option I geuss. If I wanted to kill an elk without going west, i could pay $3500, head to PA and shoot one. Not hunting imo, more like paying for a raised animal in a false enviroment.

chris46250r
09-05-2008, 07:25 PM
If its a legal opperation and you are on the same side of the fence as the deer I say start shooting.

quadlee
09-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I think as long as a deer can escape danger and there still free roaming. its ok. I lease over 900 acres here in west tn. we have good deer on the land, we have been in contol of the land for 9 years now. We dont have a fence, but with work and effort we put into food plots and our QDM standards we have came along way. we average 6 bucks a year that score between 120 and 150. our property boundries join the state groud which is open to all hunters. we loose alot of good young bucks ever year that needed another 2 years to reach full potential due to that isue. I think if we had a high fence to keep the deer on us and the state hunters off of us we could have a world class hunting lease. Im for high fence as long as it still fair chase.

justin1022
09-06-2008, 12:26 PM
dont most people buy deer and put them in the fence?

dmaxx
09-06-2008, 06:05 PM
justin: Yes people do buy and pay alot of money for genetics so they can produce some big bucks. Some claim that they entrap wild animals to, and I can see that happening in some cases. Especially when the land is of considerable size it would be hard to ensure you didnt.

quadlee: Do you lease the land just for this reason or farming also? do you incorporate grain into your food plots? Average scores for his bucks are 180 to 200 and it seems like some are just genetic freaks to me.

pappy: Of his 1200 acres probably 1/4 is tillable but the rest is woods. I do agree with it seeming like animal farming.

I think the only time I see problems with it is when you can pick the ones that you want to shoot and along with what you've said if it's not fair chase. I enjoy being around them and the pay is pretty good to.

byrdman37876
09-06-2008, 07:20 PM
meat for the freezer, sure. hunting for a head and a set of horns for the wall for bragging rights, nope.

quadlee
09-06-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by dmaxx
justin: Yes people do buy and pay alot of money for genetics so they can produce some big bucks. Some claim that they entrap wild animals to, and I can see that happening in some cases. Especially when the land is of considerable size it would be hard to ensure you didnt.

quadlee: Do you lease the land just for this reason or farming also? do you incorporate grain into your food plots? Average scores for his bucks are 180 to 200 and it seems like some are just genetic freaks to me.

pappy: Of his 1200 acres probably 1/4 is tillable but the rest is woods. I do agree with it seeming like animal farming.

I think the only time I see problems with it is when you can pick the ones that you want to shoot and along with what you've said if it's not fair chase. I enjoy being around them and the pay is pretty good to.

I lease the land for deer and Turkey hunting only. we have over 300 acres in bottom land timber, the rest is in corn and soybeans which the farmer does harvest. we have 8 food plots that cover just over 18 acres between all 8 plots combine. we use all anual plots with Tecomonee Monster Mix, and Austrailin Winter Peas, Buck Forage oats. We do have a 2 & half acre clover feild that produse year round. just have to spray it and mow it twice a year.

Pappy
09-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Good lord, 180-200 class bucks are HUGE!!! If I had the land and $$ I would high fence just to keep the deer on my property where i could manage them, but again, it would have to be enough land to offer fair chase for me.

quadlee, thats almost exactly what I plant, just not as much land and it sure has made a difference.

quadlee
09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
yea, it helps. I think my biggest promblem is the buck to doe ratio. I beleive its around 5 does to ever 1 buck. This year we plan on taking atleast 25 does off the land. We have just been issued a new bag limit in the county I hunt. We are now alowed 3 does a day. that will make it alot easier to reduce the number of does on the farm.