PDA

View Full Version : 440ex questions

foxrider7
09-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I thinks a 02 or 03 440ex with pipe
just wondering if its worth getting it if it will break
whats the down falls on the 440 big bore?

HondaRaceReady
09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Heat issues, unreliability, and if you buy a 440 make sure you also buy about 20 head gaskets. You'll use about all of them before you get tired of that **** and sell it.

drew416ex
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
Heat issues, unreliability, and if you buy a 440 make sure you also buy about 20 head gaskets. You'll use about all of them before you get tired of that **** and sell it.

This isnt necessarily true. If its built right, you wont have heat issues and you wont blow head gaskets. It takes a little more cash to do it right, but you wont have the problems described above.

Wheelie
09-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I built my stroker in April of 06' and have yet to blow a head gasket with the STOCK head studs still in place and over 11:1 compression. If built right a modded engine will hold up just as good as a stocker. Don't cut corners and build it right. In return you'll get an engine that will treat you right.

AZ440ex
09-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
I built my stroker in April of 06' and have yet to blow a head gasket with the STOCK head studs still in place and over 11:1 compression. If built right a modded engine will hold up just as good as a stocker. Don't cut corners and build it right. In return you'll get an engine that will treat you right.

X10!!!!
I am so tired of hearing how bad a 440 is and how they eat head gaskets.

To start, yes modified motors require more attention, but when built right and treated right will last a long time. I am now on 6 years of a 440 big bore and stock head studs and zero head gasket failures! I even run stock valve train!

I have read people hear give advice that you don't need pipe packing, it sounds better without it :eek2: I have read race fuel has no benifit:confused: I have read a 416 will smoke a built 440:huh

This is what it comes down to, use a freeking torque wrench to assemble your motor(they put those little numbers in tha manual for a reason) Change your oil! Jet your bike correctly!! Run good fuel, 3K worth of motor work is useless if your running crap fuel with water contamination and everything else in it. (How many race teams do you hear say "we use brand x pump gas"? There is a reason for that! Cheap fuel causes detination, detination blows motors.

Take it for what it's worth but there are tons of us here with 440's than run hard and have no problems.