PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Wheelie?

sweet300ex
12-08-2002, 06:42 PM
I want to learn how to ride long wheelies but i keep over revving the engine....whats the best way to do wheelies on a 300ex? mine is stock for now but soon i will have a white bros e series pro meg system,uni filter,and it will be rejetted....any responses will be appreciated

Ride400
12-08-2002, 06:43 PM
learn to shift gears in a wheelie, then you wont over rev

Ryan
12-08-2002, 06:49 PM
This is one of the most common questions I ever see, lol. Anyway its simple and yeah learn to switch gears. You know how to pull the front up and balance it out right? Well also you can work the cluch on a wheelie and use the back brakes to balance it out and not over rev it. Your better off shifting first though. When your rpms are high (Ready to over rev) Pull in the cluch and switch fast and be easy on the throttle when you hit your next gear. I pull in the cluch with my 2 fingers so when im doing this I can still kinda hold myself on when going over stuff, wheelies ect.
It really just takes practice. Don't kill yourself ;)

trueblue450
12-08-2002, 06:50 PM
to start off...

its easiest to put it in 2nd gear.. pull in the clutch from a complete stop.. give her bout 1/2 throtle (on stock) then pop the clutch. Just find the balance point and just give her gas and keep it up.. once you can start shifting through the gears.

Once you get better and put a pipe on it you can pull wheelies easy while youre moving.

But I like riding them in 1st gear only and just creepin as long as I can.. specially if you in 4th gear and hit the grab bar.. bend em up pretty easy.:blah

goldfish
12-08-2002, 06:55 PM
After watching the CVB'z video and how they get it at that certain point and keep the throttle steady and can ride it forever. I can ride wheelies for quite a long while but i have to use quite short revs, i cant keep it steady or i'll either drop it or flip back. Im starting to get pissed, because i cant find the 'good' point of throttle. I think it might be because i ride in fields, not really bumpy but might just be enough to alter my throttle a bit?

Ryan
12-08-2002, 07:01 PM
Well you should try it on a 2-stroke. Its alot harder to pull up and really hard to get that steady point but I got used to it. You will never find that point untill you practice more, Its like walking, It takes time to try a couple times to do it. The only time I really do wheelies now is to get over stuff or climb a bunch off ruff stuff that I would normally bottom out over.

ny300exrider
12-08-2002, 07:06 PM
i gotta practice my wheelies., i have the same problem as you...im gonna learn to get into the balance point and shift through em

Stevo
12-08-2002, 08:45 PM
The way i started was putting my right leg on the seat and grab bar and then poppin it up, and just go as far as u want to find the balance point don't worry if u flip cuz u can stop urself with ur leg. Then u still have ur left foot to shift.:)

RdingManiac420
12-08-2002, 08:59 PM
Oh man whatever you do dont listen to these idiots and pop the clutch in second. You'll DESTROY your clutch so fast!! Just ride in second mid throttle and gas it and pull up on the bars. Get it to the balance point(something you gotta get used to) and then just blip the throttle as your front end falls. You can ride them all day like this and eventually learn to shift.

QuadJunkies
12-09-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by RdingManiac420
Oh man whatever you do dont listen to these idiots and pop the clutch in second. You'll DESTROY your clutch so fast!! Just ride in second mid throttle and gas it and pull up on the bars. Get it to the balance point(something you gotta get used to) and then just blip the throttle as your front end falls. You can ride them all day like this and eventually learn to shift. THis is the way we go ours too...But we dont have down the shifting thing yet,heck Im still working on finding that balance point, buy my hubby can wheelie forever on his...:D

trueblue450
12-09-2002, 07:19 AM
damn...my clutch is still working fine.. I said to learn try that.. its prolly the easiest way to learn.. :o

300exQuadracer
12-09-2002, 09:57 AM
dont drop the clutch thats for puss!es go in second and pull up and get the grab bar like 5 inches from the ground right where its bout to go over backwards then hit the rear brake and give it gas when the front starts droppin

HoNdAdude48
12-09-2002, 10:07 AM
dude first you learn by putting your foot in the grab bar then you start shifting then you finally learn to sit down.

goldfish
12-09-2002, 06:24 PM
I cant really fit my foot in my grab-bar, i sorda bent it when i stood it up before trying a wheelie. I usto do that on my old quadrunner 4-wheeler it is really easy, but it looks pretty easy also, so it isn't very impressive. I could ride them forever if i didn't keep slowly creeping to one side. but anyways..

Ive figured two ways to do it on my 300ex

1. in 3rd get the rpms high enough so that when you clutch and rev it wont sputter. You might have to pull up pretty hard (mine i dont really have to, but i imagine a stock 300ex or lower might have to) !be careful, you can get going quite fast!

2. in second either get going slow enough to rev and pull up and go for a long time without whining it out, i guess this is where the shifting needs to come in? Its much easier for me to go slow in 2nd, clutch, rev, pull-up, because my rpms aren't as high..

Moded86R
12-09-2002, 06:45 PM
I learned how to ride wheelie's on a timberwolf without brakes!So I know you can learn on a 300ex.

I agree with riding maniac 420.Don't pop the clutch.Not only is not good on the clutch.It brings the front end up way to fast.Like he said be driving along in 1st or 2nd gear.Going slow enough that you still have some torque left.Bring the front end up.The next part is the most difficult.The rear tires are basicly the fulcrum whenever you are on a wheelie.So Until you can balance the amount of power given,and the weight over the fulcrum(the rear wheels)Your not going to wheelie for long.

There is not a set point that is the balance point.It depends on the speed and the amount of power being put to wheels.No one can tell you where this is.You have to find it yourself.

Whenever Shift on a wheelie I don't use the clutch.I can use it.I just prefer not to.I ussually don't use the clutch whenever I am riding at all.

The main thing is practice,Practice,practice.

beg2007
01-17-2008, 09:09 AM
I agree with the dude that said put your left foot in the grab bar.....this will allow u to still keep one foot free for the rear brake...I just learned the balance point last month and have a twist throttle , which I dont care what anyone says.....makes it a heck of a lot easier.....give it a shot, hope it helps...also have had street bikes and 4 wheelers and MX bikes since a kid and u know what I always slip the clutch and HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM with my clutch wearing or anything like that!! Good Luck and wear a helmet, I have seen some pretty nasty **** happen to heads without lids!

01-17-2008, 09:18 AM
try to find ur balance piont on the quad, i can ride a wheelie on a 250ex for ever in 3rd gear.

Scro
01-17-2008, 09:30 AM
Wonder how much he has learned in 6 years:confused:

beg2007
01-17-2008, 09:31 AM
HAHAHAHA, I just realized that it was a post form 02' man am i burnt!!! LOL

Titanium
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
300's are pretty simple to wheelie on. I rode one about 2 months ago for the first time in a couple years and i rode wheelies clear through 4th gear. almost 5th but everytime i hit 5th gear it didn't have enough motor to keep it up.

KXRida
01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
If he can't wheelie a 300ex by now, god help him. IMO 300ex's and 400ex's are the best wheelie machines hands down. Blasters are damn easy to wheelie too.

Exrider434
01-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Wonder how much he has learned in 6 years:confused:

i wondered why i didn't recognize any of the names.......:rolleyes: