PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP TODAY with cam chain install

mxpimp2000
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
i got 24 hours to install a new cam chain in my yfz450 i have a race tommorrow and cant miss this race its costin me point championship if i do PLEASE SOMEONE tell me how to do this and is it very hard to do???????:mad:

Ride1Rob
09-05-2008, 01:00 PM
It's not difficult. You just need a flywheel puller to remove the flywheel so that the old chain can be removed and the new one placed in.

mxpimp2000
09-05-2008, 02:28 PM
i dont have one of those lol:macho

ohsobad_chevy
09-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
i dont have one of those lol:macho

Some parts stores will rent them to you....get on the horn and find you one.

mxpimp2000
09-05-2008, 05:45 PM
will the flywheel pullers for cars/trucks work?? is there a how to onine anywheres ive searched everywhere for one cant seem to have any luck:mad:

rt20ps
09-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Drive to your local Yamaha dealer and ask them to pop it off for you. If you use an automotive type gear puller you risk damaging your flywheel.

mxpimp2000
09-05-2008, 06:00 PM
well not gonna happen its gotta be done tonight and no stores are open around this town so looks like i wont be changin the chain so im gonna run the hell outta it at the race and hope it dosent jump time

Ride1Rob
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
well not gonna happen its gotta be done tonight and no stores are open around this town so looks like i wont be changin the chain so im gonna run the hell outta it at the race and hope it dosent jump time

Has it been jumping time? If so and the chain is the culprit u risk causing more damage to your topend (head, piston, valves). Check the chain to make sure that it's not kinking as well as making sure it's tight when the tensioner is applied. If it's kinking and or lose and the bike has been jumping time, I'm not sure if I'd take that chance.

mxpimp2000
09-05-2008, 07:59 PM
its never jumped time it just started to rattle a little and it isnt the valves cause they click like and im pretty sure that the chain is gettin worn i plan on rebuilding it soon everything new i just dont have the time to do it b4 tomm race and was afriad it would jump time while i was raing it since it was rattling a lil bit its still runs like top though wat do u think bout me racing it

Ride1Rob
09-06-2008, 08:58 AM
It depends how bad the rattle is. Rattling can also come from your piston and wristpin. Rebuilt a motor where it was thought the valves were rattling and the piston had cracked at the bottom causing play with the wristpin. It's your call whether to race or not. I don't want to advise u to mess your motor up.