View Full Version : Springfield® 40 S&W XD-M 40

Pappy
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Thinking hard on buying one for day to day carry and replacing my Kimber....anyone here use this or have expierence with them?

77rigid
09-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I haven't shot the M,but I bought the XD-40 for my wife awhile back and love it.I have a P99-40 cal that I use,but actually like the XD-40 better.I didn't like the feel of the XD-M that we looked at compared to the XD,not alot of difference,but enough to pass on buying it.

jherbie28
09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Thinking hard on buying one for day to day carry and replacing my Kimber....anyone here use this or have expierence with them?

funny this has been brought up, michelles cousin works for gander mountain and has this model. sweet gun, very small and accurate. im no expert on guns by far but i was very impressed with it. it has my vote and thinking hard on getting one myself;)

infantry317
09-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I just don't like that they aren't made in the US or Germany. Croatia, right? They definately look badass and are comfortable.

SPDSNYPR
09-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I am a firearms instructor with my department and often teach as an adjunct instructor for the state academy.

There are not a lot of XD's that I have seen go through the academy, and those that I have seen have not fared well compared to the mainstays of the police pistol market (Glock, Sig, Smith, HK, Beretta, etc). I would anecdotally put their failure rate (meaning parts breakage) at about 25% of the XDs I have seen. Of course, this is running the gun hard for several weeks. If you are an occasional shooter, it might serve you fine.

Were I to spend my personal money on a polymer .40 pistol for CCW, I would narrow my list to the Sig 2022, the Glock G23 and the Smith M&P .40. You're talking very little difference in price and much better quality control during manufacture. Also, the Glock and Smith are going to have a lower bore axis than the XD, which tends to minimize perceived muzzle flip. The XD is not bad in this department, but the other two are just a bit better. The Sig is about the same as the XD.

Good luck with your search. Let us know how it turns out.

Pappy
09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Thx for the input, its kind of off my list after doing some reading on it. I assumed it was like the XDM 45 with a thumb safety (not much retraining myself if it were so equipped)

I will remain cocked and locked i suppose:D

SPDSNYPR
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, why were you wanting to switch? Has your Kimber been reliable? Or is it just such a huge hunk of steel you were looking for something a little lighter?

Pappy
09-06-2008, 08:33 PM
The wife likes my Kimber, and Iusually dont carry my full frame 1911 until its cooler out. I like the 40 round alot and started looking for something in 40 that I liked and yes, lighter wouldnt hurt combined with higher capacity capability.

I have a Glock in 40, but dont usually carry it. Its my nightstand weapon, bang to boogie as soon as my finger touches the trigger no matter how confused I am. (Your a training officer, you should understand that whole concept)

I had tried to purchase the Kimber in 40 but they do not offer it, only if you special order it from Kimber and I was told that might not even be doable, so I just HAD to buy one in 45:p (Not a fan of the 9mm)

Not a single issue out of the Kimber thus far with just a bit over 1400 rounds fired through it in the past 3 weeks. (I went back on my word abit as I usually will not carry a sidearm until it gets a TON of ammo through it and im comfortable with it, but its a 1911 so it fit right in to my normal routine)

SPDSNYPR
09-07-2008, 02:16 AM
Well - you got a Glock and a 1911 - so you got the basics covered. They pretty much own IDPA and IPSC matches. If you got a 1911 that's 100%, keep it. Great design, classic pistol, but lots of problems with some manufacturers. But the good ones are good. Wish I still had one but we're all Glock at my PD and I don't like being a slave to too many masters.

I think I am going to pick up a smith m&p 9mm though. Great ergos and love the sights on em from the factory. My son needs to step up his shooting a little if he's going to be state champ by 12, and it should be a good pistol for him as he gets older. ;)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/jlatzke/Guns/IMG_0323.jpg

We're working on it. He just turned 10. And that was all at 25 yds there.

Pappy
09-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Oh shame on you for teaching your kid about firearms:devil: Shame Shame Shame:D

SPDSNYPR
09-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Oh shame on you for teaching your kid about firearms:devil: Shame Shame Shame:D

There are many dems out there wailing and gnashing their teeth. I'll learn to deal with the shame one day at a time, I guess. :devil: :devil: :devil:

ohsobad_chevy
09-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but I was really close to picking up a Glock 22 in 40 yesterday. I really don't know a whole lot about pistols, but I would like to start shooting pistols more often.

Is the Glock 22 in 40 caliber a good choice?

SPDSNYPR
09-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
Not to hijack this thread, but I was really close to picking up a Glock 22 in 40 yesterday. I really don't know a whole lot about pistols, but I would like to start shooting pistols more often.

Is the Glock 22 in 40 caliber a good choice?

If there is one pistol that I'd say pretty well owns the police market, the G22 is it. There are lots of nay-sayers out there who don't like it, but the largest agency in my state uses them - no problems. The FBI uses them. No problems. They're great pistols.

Of course - firearms safety is all important. With the Glock, you gotta keep your booger hook off the bang switch or it will go off - just like it's meant to.

But yeah, they're good guns.

Pappy
09-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Treat the Glock like a revolver and youll be fine. The only advantage I see with a 9mm version is the sometimes large difference in ammo costs between the 40 and 9mm. I handload for target/training, but carry with store bought ammo just to take away any excuse a lawyer might have if I ever do have to defend myself over a shooting. (Proficient with both types of ammo, infact I hardly notice a difference on the target range between the two)

G22C is what is on my nightstand......I like that model very much. I had a G35 in 40 (longslide) that was insanely accurate and I did well with it in steel matches and combat courses.

ohsobad_chevy
09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by SPDSNYPR
"you gotta keep your booger hook off the bang switch or it will go off - just like it's meant to.

lol.....I say that to my buddies all the time.

I am going to look at the G35's, Pappy. I just don't think I want a long slide.