PDA

View Full Version : white smoke??? (not R related)

450raider
09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
sorry but this is for my 250ex, ill take it down soon but ive had this in the ex section and nothing happened, now it just started yesterday and when you start it and hit the gas it shoots a heavy jet white smoke out of the pipe..... what usually causes this??

thanks for any help....

d3ktrix
09-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Normally means you are burning coolant or water.
Bad head gasket possibly.

Is your oil milky?
Coolant level low?
Coolant black?
Spark plug wet?

Or maybe u submerged the quad recently?

blacknblue#2
09-03-2008, 04:45 PM
The 250EX is air cooled. Yes possible you have submerged it recently thats a possibility but it cant be a coolant problem. Are you sure its white. cause if it just does it on startup it sounds like you have some valve stem seals leakin and are sippin oil on top of the piston while it sets

d3ktrix
09-03-2008, 05:14 PM
lol forgot those are air cooled.
Guess that's why I stay in the 450r section :P

blacknblue#2
09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
haha i know what ya mean i actually had to think twice before i replied. When i read your post i was like "man i coulda swore those little things were air cooled?? :confused: " then i had to scratch my head for 5 minutes

450raider
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
haha i know what ya mean i actually had to think twice before i replied. When i read your post i was like "man i coulda swore those little things were air cooled?? :confused: " then i had to scratch my head for 5 minutes

yeah like i said i didnt wanna stick it here and look like a moron but i know this is where the most folks hang out and folks=knowledge and i really do thank yall for the replies, anyway i just got done changing the oil (for what it was worth) and yeah i have submerged it but i have quite a few times with no problems...... so next ill check the sparkplug and pop a new one in and see where that goes...

rollie
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Is the air filter dry?? i put one in that i thought was dry one night, when to start it the next day and white smoke poured out the exhuast.

gcart2
09-03-2008, 06:15 PM
it isnt diesel fuel in there is it??

i say that casue believe it or not i ran my 250ex on complete accident of diesel. the little gas in it started it and i got like 200 yards down my pasture and sure enough starts popping and pouring white smoke. i had a cloud the size of a school bus behind me... now that i think about it i think that was on my 400ex.

mjc597
09-06-2008, 12:12 PM
i would have to agree with the valve stem seals, i bought a used 400ex a few years ago. it would do the same thing when i first started it up.. i had the motor overhauled..high compression piston,new valves and seals, new cam, everything.. never had a problem after that... check the valve seals....