PDA

View Full Version : quad wont go above 30

quazymoto360
09-02-2008, 11:49 PM
ok so i ride on two wheels but i have a Q about a friends quad

2002 bombardier quest 650
just got it back from the shop for electrical issues and now it wont go past 30 mph also i might add that when you take off it dosnt have its usual pull that i have grown accustomed to transmission???? or possibly i have heard of a "limp home mode" that the quad switches into when it is low on oil i might add that the oil was extremely low before i noticed and took care of my friends naive mistakes the oil is changed/filled and so is the coolant.

quazymoto360
09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
anyone??
this quad has just been sitting for months :(

quazymoto360
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
do we have any gurus or addicts that can help me with this problem?

quazymoto360
09-03-2008, 03:51 PM
come on the guys on DIRTRIDER.COM did better then this and thats for dirtbikes :huh

JHracing4
09-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Well if you just got it back from the shop and its having problems i would take it back because they obviously didnt fix it. Did you check the jetting to make sure its right? you may want to clean out the carb with some carb cleaner to make sure it not all gunked up. Also if the quad has been sitting for months make sure you drain the old gas and put fresh gas back in.

hope this helps

quazymoto360
09-04-2008, 02:30 PM
well the damn thing has been in the shop 3 thimes this month and its getting really expensive so i told my buddy i would help him out and fix it if i can
it dosnt want to shift out of first and it is a automatic so im still thinking it is a computer thing correct me if im wrong but if the tranny is toast dosnt that usually involve a horrible grinding sound followed by stopping completely
im leaving it unplugged form the battery for a couple of days and we will see if that clears it up

JHracing4
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM
sound like tranny issues, take a look at the gears and see if any are damaged.

quazymoto360
09-04-2008, 10:24 PM
have you ever split a lower end?? its not that easy especually on a automatic trany

:eek:

bwamos
09-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Wish I could be of help, but I honestly dont know jack about the Quest 650.

Is it EFI or Carb?

What has the shop worked on? It's possible they reinstalled something incorrectly.

Is it possible you cam timing is off? (1 or 2 teeth off will make it drive like your towing a car behind you.)

You might re-ask this down in the more specific UTE forums. Most members here are sport quad members, so you're likley to get a lot of uninformed advice up here.. lol.

quazymoto360
09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
ok so the quad had a CRUSHED electrical box so a brand new box was installed
it has a carb
Are they injecting quads now a days??
im really thinking it is electrical of tranny because it wont shift out of first and it sounds good and is rining fine
i think the computer is tripping

man i wish they made these things manual tranny ;) :ermm:
i could at least attempt splitting it because it would be simular to a dirtbike but im not gonna touch that auto tranny:eek2:

JHracing4
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
i would just take it to another shop and have someone who has experience with auto trannys fix it.

and yes yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki, can am all use fuel injection where have you been? lol

bwamos
09-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Won't shift outa first... that certianly narrows it down. ;) Either tranny control or tranny itself I'd imagine. So you're probably on the right track.

If the CDI was crushed.. a short there could have messed with the tranny control if it is connected.

Yes there are a lot of EFI quads now including some Bombardier's. Most are UTE's. That's why I asked.

quazymoto360
09-05-2008, 11:46 AM
i like simpler designs like carbeuration i can change my jetting much easier and i also really like manual trannys usually all you have to do is a clutch job instead of replacing the whole bottom end /tranny plus i like to be able to control what gear im in for enguine breaking and what not
cant tell you how many times ive grabbed break and down shifted and saved my ***

any way i will try a utility quad forum and i will post back when or if i have the answer :confused:

quazymoto360
09-05-2008, 11:51 AM
oops didnt see your most recent post well if it is electrical ... i really am not good at electrical im more of a mechanical guy:D
i guess back to the shop im gonna clean the carb out needs cleaning anyway and i will wait and see if the comp re sets itself after being nuplugged from the positive
im really thinking it is stuck in this "limp home mode" that the comp switches into when the oil is low