PDA

View Full Version : Problem With excelleration

papacrews
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I have a 350 1990 Banshee that boggs down bad at low RPM. I have pulled the carbs and checked the Jets. They are 280's and I am at an elevation of 4,000 ft. The bike has ran great before with this set up. I did notice I have a yellow spark. The bikes starts and idles/revs up fine but as soon as I put a load on it, it boggs down untill the power band kicks in. Compression seems to be ok (blows my thumb off the hole). Does anyone have any ideas? This thing is making me crazy and I know the dealer is just waiting for me to hand him a few hundred bucks. Thanks for any help.

Bob

rideracelivemx7
09-06-2008, 09:38 AM
...blows your thumbs off the holes.... a completely blown engine will blow your thumbs off the holes. save your self some pride and go get a compression tester. you cant tell by sticking your finger on the hole lol when was the last time you redid the motor. 1990 and if your still running stock oem thats why. 2 strokes are usually done ever season or so to stay up on performance

papacrews
09-14-2008, 05:58 AM
I have a compression tester so pride is in tac thanks for the pointer. Guess I'll just figure it out on my own. I get plenty of charactor help from the wife. I appreciate your concern though.

09-14-2008, 06:55 AM
I'll try to help you figure this out..

Stators we're notoriously known to go bad on the older ones. Your stator may not be functioning properly.

But first, try replacing the coil. It's cheaper than a stator. If it's not the coil, I have a feeling its the stat.

The spark should be a big fat blue.. not yellow.

papacrews
09-14-2008, 07:56 AM
It is a 1994 so you're probably right on. I was reading the book I have on it and was leaning in that direction but didn't know which one to start with (appreciate the tip). I just got it about 7 months ago so I'm not real familiar with the history of the bike. It does have FMF pipes and a note from FMF that the jets should be 280's with the needle three notches down. I checked and that's exactly what they are. While starting the bike up and finding out about the TORS unit I noticed the weak spark. The problem came on so sudden I couldn't help but think it was either fuel or electrical. Thanks for the help. I probably should trade the darn thing for something slower and easier on my old bones but my boys just love it. I'm probably gonna kill myself on it. Thanks, again, Bob

09-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by papacrews
It is a 1994 so you're probably right on. I was reading the book I have on it and was leaning in that direction but didn't know which one to start with (appreciate the tip). I just got it about 7 months ago so I'm not real familiar with the history of the bike. It does have FMF pipes and a note from FMF that the jets should be 280's with the needle three notches down. I checked and that's exactly what they are. While starting the bike up and finding out about the TORS unit I noticed the weak spark. The problem came on so sudden I couldn't help but think it was either fuel or electrical. Thanks for the help. I probably should trade the darn thing for something slower and easier on my old bones but my boys just love it. I'm probably gonna kill myself on it. Thanks, again, Bob

Good luck with it!

The TORS are disconnected, right?

It has to be a spark issue.. I bought my banshee as a project. The stator ended up being bad so it had no spark. I threw a new stator on, and the spark was a real thick, strong blue. I have never once seen a yellow spark.

Like I said, I would do the coil first just for the hell of it (if it is the coil, you'll get away much cheaper)

But if that doesn't work look for another working stator;)

BTW. Your engine is a 1994 too, right? If so, Look for a stator from a 1987-1994. In 1995 they changed the electrical plug connecters so the new stator won't plug into the old wiring harness.

papacrews
09-15-2008, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
Good luck with it!

The TORS are disconnected, right?

It has to be a spark issue.. I bought my banshee as a project. The stator ended up being bad so it had no spark. I threw a new stator on, and the spark was a real thick, strong blue. I have never once seen a yellow spark.

Like I said, I would do the coil first just for the hell of it (if it is the coil, you'll get away much cheaper)

But if that doesn't work look for another working stator;)

BTW. Your engine is a 1994 too, right? If so, Look for a stator from a 1987-1994. In 1995 they changed the electrical plug connecters so the new stator won't plug into the old wiring harness.

"The TORS are disconnected, right?"
As a matter of fact no it isn't. I figured if I had spark the TORS was good. I'll take your advice though and disconnect and check the spark. I checked the price on the Stator! Holly crap! LOL. I will be getting the coil first and stator as soon as I sell my first born!
In the process of moving right now so I don't have time to mess with it but am hoping to get into in a couple of weeks. Good thing is at least I'll have garage to work in now. Livin in the desert and working in the open sucks! I get to change my water pump on my old Dodge truck today. Things have a way a having great timing. At leats I heard it ratling around in the front yard and not out on the road.
Anyway I appreciate all the advise and I'll let ya know what I find when I can tear into it. Bob

09-15-2008, 01:25 PM
"The TORS are disconnected, right?"
As a matter of fact no it isn't. I figured if I had spark the TORS was good. I'll take your advice though and disconnect and check the spark. I checked the price on the Stator! Holly crap! LOL. I will be getting the coil first and stator as soon as I sell my first born!
In the process of moving right now so I don't have time to mess with it but am hoping to get into in a couple of weeks. Good thing is at least I'll have garage to work in now. Livin in the desert and working in the open sucks! I get to change my water pump on my old Dodge truck today. Things have a way a having great timing. At leats I heard it ratling around in the front yard and not out on the road.
Anyway I appreciate all the advise and I'll let ya know what I find when I can tear into it. Bob

Sounds good.

Definitely disconnect the TORS before you do anything, it will still get spark, but won't rev up and I have heard of it doing some other wacky things if its still connected.

Then the coil.
I got my stator used off of bansheehq.com (great site if you havent been there yet. Really smart people that can even help you 10x better than I could) for like $20 shipped I think. You just have to look around and buy from a trusted member.

Let us know how it goes!
And the truck sucks, lol. Breakin at the worst of times.

papacrews
09-16-2008, 03:16 AM
AH used is good! I checked the price of the Stator new and about fell over. I'll check out the other forum and appreciate the lead.
Bob

P.S. Truck's back together and runnin. Lost a pint of blood though so I figure beer and napping today should fix that.

09-16-2008, 02:47 PM
AH used is good! I checked the price of the Stator new and about fell over. I'll check out the other forum and appreciate the lead.
Bob

P.S. Truck's back together and runnin. Lost a pint of blood though so I figure beer and napping today should fix that.

lmao.

Im bansheeb0y5505 over at the HQ. I pop around from time to time.

papacrews
09-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
lmao.

Im bansheeb0y5505 over at the HQ. I pop around from time to time.

Well it was the coil. It wasn't too painfull price wise. I also cleaned the air filter (per your wise advice) and it has even more pep. I have moved out to the boonies and I have a long stretch of dirt road that runs along interstate 80 where the speed limit is 70 and I couldn't beleive that darn things was going as fast and passing some. I'm gonna kill myself on that thing! Anyway thanks again for all your help. If you're ever out towards Reno let me know. Take Care, Bob

09-30-2008, 04:41 AM
Well it was the coil. It wasn't too painfull price wise. I also cleaned the air filter (per your wise advice) and it has even more pep. I have moved out to the boonies and I have a long stretch of dirt road that runs along interstate 80 where the speed limit is 70 and I couldn't beleive that darn things was going as fast and passing some. I'm gonna kill myself on that thing! Anyway thanks again for all your help. If you're ever out towards Reno let me know. Take Care, Bob

haha, awesome. Glad it worked for ya with the cheaper part.

And sure will.