PDA

View Full Version : stripped..

monkeyballs
09-02-2008, 06:28 PM
OMFG! I just frigen stiped the screw on the heat shield on the carb. GAH! And b4 that I gave it a couple taps.. still did not come loose.. Then I took a hack saw made a grove so I could fit a flat head screw driver.. And now that striped.. What do I do now? Only think I can think of is a bolt remover.. Like reverse thread thing.. And im going 2 have 2 borow that dont feel like doing.. Any other ways?

brian76708
09-02-2008, 06:39 PM
if you have a welder weld a bolt to it

monkeyballs
09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
That would work realy good.. If it was not on my carb on the heat shield that is for some reason made out of plastic.. :-s. Then I dont have a welder.

Now I just phoned my bud and im probably going 2 borow his tools..

Take a realy small drill bit a drill a hole into it. Then take the spetial tool thing.. idk if you know what I mean but the threads are reverse so it can take out the bolt while it is digging in.. And I realy hope it works. ty any ways.

09-02-2008, 06:47 PM
is it the black piece your talkingabout on the carb? try welding a bolt to it like he said. or try a reverse bit or extractor. I replaced about 5 screws on my carb and bought satinless steel bolts, no screw drivers now just sockets so much better. Now I am trying to geta stripped screw out of the slide in my carb. it wont budge at all and its so small and deeper in there i cant get to it so make a slot in it. Once i get it out i'm probally getting stailess steel for that too along with the bolts for the top part cover. Bolts are the way to go if you can find them small enough and the right size. I just took my screws to lowes or home depot and went down the isle finding the right one thats a bolt. i had to do some shaving off the ends to make them the right size but it took no longer than 5 minutes. check out this thing http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?gclid=CJ3Jq9-BspUCFRILIgodulXdQw&bhcp=1

monkeyballs
09-02-2008, 06:50 PM
thats exactly what I am going 2 use. And yeh that sounds pretty smart with the stainless.

And I just got a crazy idea ill use jp weald and weald a bolt 2 it or somthing and that should work hehe.

Ty thought. And yeh im talking about the black plastic.

justin1022
09-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
OMFG! I just frigen stiped the screw on the heat shield on the carb. GAH! And b4 that I gave it a couple taps.. still did not come loose.. Then I took a hack saw made a grove so I could fit a flat head screw driver.. And now that striped.. What do I do now? Only think I can think of is a bolt remover.. Like reverse thread thing.. And im going 2 have 2 borow that dont feel like doing.. Any other ways?

make another grove. the screw i tihnk your talkign about is that soft stuff that stripes easy right? well try giving it a jerk in the tightening way it breaks it loose i striped one really bad like that and my uncle had it out wth a regular screw driver in like 1 mintue all he did was turn it tighter then loosend it

trailex
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
small visegrip locking pliers worked for me( if were talking about the same screws, the two that hold the throttle linkage cover on the carb)

CJM
09-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Pepboys or similar sells a bolt/screw removal kit. It comes with 4 pcs and looks like square taps. The ends have little grippy spots on them that work well.

Drill a hole and tap it in with a hammer than use a plier to remove the screw/bolt. I just used one today to remove the danged master cylinder cover screws. The crapsmen screw off didnt work to well..

ben_400ex
09-02-2008, 11:36 PM
i'm with trailex, visegrips can work wonders on tight screws, get em so you gota really squeeze em on till they lock then loosen the screw, worth a try anyways

monkeyballs
09-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Yeh its those realy soft screws on the carb cover.. Like 2 screws on the plastic cover.. I put some jb weald on it with a bolt on top and it should work. That stuf is tough. Ty guys. If that wont work ill use the extractor peace ty