PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft rebuild problem

danney f
12-08-2002, 03:59 PM
OK I am rebuilding my wife's quad. I found out it had a bad rod so I tore it apart and had the crank rebuilt. I was just out there trying to put it back together and I'm having trouble. I cant get the case back together. Every thing is lined up all the shafts for the trans are lined up and spin easy but it is like the crank was not pressed together all the way. I have about a 1/4 of an inch or less gap in cases and if I push the cases together and try to spin the crank it acts like its in a pinch. I can spin the trans with no problem so I know its not that. Can it be that the shop did not press the crank together all the way or what. Any idea would help thanks.

GoLikeHell
12-08-2002, 04:21 PM
If its binding that doesnt sound good to start with. I had a 200x that I had the con rod replaced and they didnt line the crank halves up correctly and it did bind. I removed one side of the case and used a dial indicator on a base to check run out.

Hope this helps

Mark

12-08-2002, 06:40 PM
i dunno on what engine you have. but on yz426 motor i did a crank on the crank had to be pressed in and out of one side of the case.

danney f
12-10-2002, 03:22 PM
No it's not a yz426. I wish!

It's a Suzuiki LT230s quadsport an 86

I know its the crankshaft because I pulled it back out and the case go together with no problem and are flush. Anyone wouldn't happen to have a service manual for this quad, would they? O well I'm going to call the shop that rebuilt the crank and see what kind of bull***** they feed me. I'll let you all know what they have to say.

2fastandfurious
12-10-2002, 03:32 PM
hmm

quadbiker
12-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Sounds like the crankshaft halves are not pressed completely together. How much clearance is there on each side of the lower rod bearing journal?

danney f
12-10-2002, 04:10 PM
My feeler gauge is in the car at my wifes work right now. I have my brother-in-law bringing it to me in a few minutes, so I'll find out in about 30 minutes what the gap is. I called the shop and they said they press them to about 18 thousandths and that I should check that, but that they really don't know why I would have this problem unless I got the wrong rod. I just email Versah with the part # off the rod and am waiting for a reply from them.

No one on here would happen to know what the Versah part # for this Suzuki would be, would they? wishfull thinking

danney f
12-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Well I just found out that the rod I have is the right one. So that nocks that out of the pic. The only thing I can think that it might be is that it wasn't pressed together all the way(which I will find out here soon) and if its not that I don't know. I haven't changed the bearings, so I know its not that. I'm puzzled and I'll be more puzzled if the crank to rod checks in spec.:confused:

12-10-2002, 05:38 PM
wow..i am in the middle of rebuilding a 86 lt 230s also.. had to get a stator cover and a clutch cover of ebay

danney f
12-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Yea, I had to buy a bran new stator cover also. This Is what I have done so far.
Here's the frame

danney f
12-10-2002, 06:06 PM
And here's the motor

12-10-2002, 06:08 PM
nice. i am not investing alot into mine cause i am gonna sell it when it's done. i need new swingarm bearings and plastic and i am pretty much done

danney f
12-10-2002, 06:24 PM
Here is a brand new set of swing arm bearings on ebay for $15 right now. Kind of makes me mad since I just spent about $40 on the same set.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874488827

12-10-2002, 07:19 PM
sweet..thanks alot .. i ended up paying 73 dollars for my stator cover cause someone kept bidding me up. it came with a good stator to so i thnk it's worth it. the only problems with the quad is the center case has a small chip out of it but i epoxyed it so i hope it holds good

danney f
12-10-2002, 08:08 PM
http://vincescycle.tripod.com/newparts/lt230s.html
Check this web site they have some good deals on new and used parts for the lt230s. They also have good deals on 300ex parts too.

danney f
12-12-2002, 04:09 AM
I have finaly been able to check the clerance of the rod and this is what I got. On one side (top) I can get a .004 to slide in and on the other side (bottom) I can get a .012 to go in. When I say other side I mean 180 degrees on the rod pin on the same side of the rod. So, would this mean that the crank halfs are not straight? I'm going to call the shop again today and see what they say.

wheeltrax
12-12-2002, 04:46 AM
Here was my 230, it was an 85. Not that this really helps, but i figured i would post mine. It was a decent quad, it gave me stiches from the kickstarter that decided to snap...It turned out to be a project quad to get it working good.

danney f
12-12-2002, 09:17 AM
If I can get a hold of a scanner, than I'll post a before pic. You wouldn't believe it. It was spray painted yellow, red, orange. and blue.