PDA

View Full Version : Mini help please looking to purchase and really confused

TRX450RACER174
09-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi guys i need some help, I live in California and am looking to buy a race mini for my 8yr old, I have found a really good used 06 Apex 100 in my area thats well taken care of and has all the mods done to it, I also have found a new 07 Xtreme 125 Typhoon but i'm not sure as which one to buy they are both about the same price but i have no knowledge about the Xtreme and am looking for a little feedback on either model. I have no parts support here in Ca so if you know someone close for either model please let me know also.

Thanks Erik

mini racer #39
09-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Call Scott at West Coast Quads. He can give you all the info you want about the APEX. They sell them and you can also get parts through him if you need them. He's a nice guy to work with and will help you out with any questions that you have.
1-480-644-1400
www.westcoastquads.com

riding4fun
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Since you say you want to race I don't think either of the quads will work. I guess you would have to check local rules.

I know the 2 series that we have run WORCS and ITP Quadcross there is a 90cc 2 stroke /125cc 4 stroke limit and the ages usually run 8-15 for WORCS and 8-11 for ITP. I believe the Apex, while a good machine the 100cc would put him in a higher class.

Although the Extreme would fit in somewhere I haven't seen one compete yet.

The ITP he would have to be 12 years old to run a 100cc machine.

If you need someone to talk to contact Les at extrememiniquadsnw 253-538-2133 they are a DRR and Apex dealer and won't steer you wrong.

Good luck with your purchase, racing is a blast.

I apologize if any information is wrong, that's just how I understand it.

Darrell

Logan #34's Dad
09-02-2008, 08:35 PM
The Extreme is a piece of junk, can't keep up and it will cost you a fortune to make it fast.
Figure out your local rules for the series you want to run in along with the rules of the area's BIG (National type) series so you can stay legal for both. If he is only 8 I'd bet the 70cc class is where he should start. The beauty of the Apex and DRR is that the engines from the other cc Apex and DRR bolt into each others frame.
A good used one is going to save you money BUT you never know what problems it may have.
DRR's are about $1000.00 cheaper new.

TRX450RACER174
09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by riding4fun
Since you say you want to race I don't think either of the quads will work. I guess you would have to check local rules.

I know the 2 series that we have run WORCS and ITP Quadcross there is a 90cc 2 stroke /125cc 4 stroke limit and the ages usually run 8-15 for WORCS and 8-11 for ITP. I believe the Apex, while a good machine the 100cc would put him in a higher class.

Although the Extreme would fit in somewhere I haven't seen one compete yet.

The ITP he would have to be 12 years old to run a 100cc machine.

If you need someone to talk to contact Les at extrememiniquadsnw 253-538-2133 they are a DRR and Apex dealer and won't steer you wrong.

Good luck with your purchase, racing is a blast.

I apologize if any information is wrong, that's just how I understand it.

Darrell

I'm not looking to race at the WORCS or ITP level, we run a local series here in So Cal that has general age rules for the classes but are not as strict for age limit as the other series, My son is on a LT80 right now he runs the 71-90cc stock 8-12yr old class in our series and he just needs a better machine as he is advancing in riding. I have a Raptor 250 but i don't think he is ready for me to teach him to ride that yet i think he still needs another year to when he is almost 10 to start riding that. I think i will go with the Apex as it is used but has all the updated trans mods and things in it to get me started down the right path.

TRX450RACER174
09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
The Extreme is a piece of junk, can't keep up and it will cost you a fortune to make it fast.
Figure out your local rules for the series you want to run in along with the rules of the area's BIG (National type) series so you can stay legal for both. If he is only 8 I'd bet the 70cc class is where he should start. The beauty of the Apex and DRR is that the engines from the other cc Apex and DRR bolt into each others frame.
A good used one is going to save you money BUT you never know what problems it may have.
DRR's are about $1000.00 cheaper new.

The person that own's this Apex raced it one season in the ITP series here and then his son got out of it and is racing dirtbikes now, I have looked over this quad it seems very nice you can tell it has not been raced very much and is super clean start and idles great. It has all the new upgrades and he knows the guys at West Coast Quads very well, it broke the trans twice when new and then got the bronze bushing upgrade with the slipper sprocket and has the modded clutch springs and variator spring a fresh top end and fresh clutch. I'm just new to these quads and want to make sure i am getting a stable platform to start with i don't want to dump money into a turd.

WOLFPACK
09-03-2008, 06:33 AM
The Bronze bushing was only a partial fix and was only needed on the Apex cases. We haven't tested it much but several people have said the bushing robs power. The reason Apex' would break gears faster than all the other CVT's is the Apex cases are made of an inferior material.

We still race a Typhoon but not many people out there do so support will be limited.

Depending on the price your paying for the Apex i'd suggest a new DRR.

TRX450RACER174
09-03-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by WOLFPACK
The Bronze bushing was only a partial fix and was only needed on the Apex cases. We haven't tested it much but several people have said the bushing robs power. The reason Apex' would break gears faster than all the other CVT's is the Apex cases are made of an inferior material.

We still race a Typhoon but not many people out there do so support will be limited.

Depending on the price your paying for the Apex i'd suggest a new DRR.

I have never seen a stock DRR are they out of the box good or am i looking at dumping a bunch of money in it, I want something for him to ride that he can progress on and ride for awhile.

mini racer #39
09-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Call west coast and talk to scott! he can help u with your decision.

Nichols Atvs
09-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Check out the DRR Thread Ask any Questions.

airmobile101
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I like those DRR'S . Those are some neat bikes. I made the mistake of buying a 4-stroke Kawasaki KFX50. Not because my son loses to DRX50'S , but because he is such a small kid. That Kawi platform is too large for him. Those DRR'S seem to be more kid friendly in size. What ever you buy, just make sure he fits it properly. It will be more fun for him regardless if he wins or comes in dead last.

TRX450RACER174
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
I like those DRR'S . Those are some neat bikes. I made the mistake of buying a 4-stroke Kawasaki KFX50. Not because my son loses to DRX50'S , but because he is such a small kid. That Kawi platform is too large for him. Those DRR'S seem to be more kid friendly in size. What ever you buy, just make sure he fits it properly. It will be more fun for him regardless if he wins or comes in dead last.

Yes it's hard for me to judge size when i don't have any of these mini's close to me to have my son sit on. I had him sit on the Apex and ride it as it is alot wider and taller than his LT but he fits fine on it size wise. I just don't want to have one shipped to me and be disapointed when i get it.

airmobile101
09-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Yea, I dont blame yea there. I was naive when I bought that KFX50. I didn't even have my son sit on it prior to buying since it was a birthday gift(very expensive gift). I installed some AC nerfs on it and still had to raise the foot pegs for him. He only has maybe a 1-2" clearance under his butt when standing up. That was a year ago, he does handle it pretty well now, but he still is short.

airmobile101
09-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Here, to give yea an idea!!!

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/FMF.jpg

marsrace2
09-03-2008, 02:57 PM
I researched alot of these and I would suggest the Apex, especially if you can get it local for a good deal. Alot of people like to claim the DRR is less money but you will have to spend more to make it equal to that apex, and Scott at West Coast quads is great if you need help with parts and service.

racerdad199
09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Buying him a 100 cc 2-stroke he wont be able to race it anywhere will he? Most tracks have a limit of 90 cc 2-stroke and 125 cc 4-stroke. If you are looking at Apex maybe look at the 90 cc one instead. I wouldnt want to see his face if you showed up at a race and he cannot race because he is over the cc limit. or be protested and be penalized because you are running to many cc's for the class. Just a thought:macho

STOCKRACING917
09-03-2008, 03:32 PM
We bought a new apex this year with the LT. Trust me, we were not disappointed. We have owned two and the new one is better.
We haven't had a drr and can't really make comparisons, and the drr guys are awesome at the track for support but we chose the apex for it's width for handling issues. Our son loves it.

Stockton 917

TRX450RACER174
09-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by STOCKRACING917
We bought a new apex this year with the LT. Trust me, we were not disappointed. We have owned two and the new one is better.
We haven't had a drr and can't really make comparisons, and the drr guys are awesome at the track for support but we chose the apex for it's width for handling issues. Our son loves it.

Stockton 917

Have you done any mods to it or are you racing it in stock form as you received it?

WOLFPACK
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM
You should call Gary Fallon (800-658-1843) and talk to him. He's a dealer for both brand and is as honest as the day is long.

etondaddy
09-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Get the local Apex.......help is only a phone call to Gary away. If you what to race it in a 90 class throw a crank in it and go racin. There's not that much to a 2 stroke jog motor..... and all the help you need is on this forum..... if it starts, sounds good, idles, and moves under it's own power....get it.

Mike Kozura

STOCKRACING917
09-04-2008, 11:43 AM
We put elkas on it and a little porting..rest is purely stock.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

TRX450RACER174
09-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Well guys i talked to Scott at WestCoastQuads and got alot of good info from him on this particular Apex i'm looking to buy and he looked up all the sellers records and he has maintained it pretty well so i am going to buy it and put a 90cc crank and topend in it, thanks for all the info i will post pics when i get it and am also gonna be looking for suspension for it.

etondaddy
09-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Well guys i talked to Scott at WestCoastQuads and got alot of good info from him on this particular Apex i'm looking to buy and he looked up all the sellers records and he has maintained it pretty well so i am going to buy it and put a 90cc crank and topend in it, thanks for all the info i will post pics when i get it and am also gonna be looking for suspension for it.
Try giving Dave Carter a call..... there's a link to his site DC Motorsports on Kyle's site www.kylekozura.com

Mike Kozura

neveready
09-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by STOCKRACING917
We put elkas on it and a little porting..rest is purely stock.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

If you have to change the shocks on the LT Apex then what makes it a better deal than the DRR??? So now you have 5K$$ in something that still has a mass produced set of a-arms and swinger on it. Seems for the same money you could have DRR with the DC long travel setup that is a proven national product. Just my thoughts:confused:

STOCKRACING917
09-05-2008, 08:02 PM
It's the beautiful freedom of choice ..I guess. Not 5k here .Guess it depends on where you shop. Thanks for the input though.

racerdad199
09-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Attn STOCKRACING917

I was just wondering why you chose to change the shocks to the
Elkas? Do the stock shocks not measure up? We have a drr and we put on aftermarket shocks after he went through 3 sets in about a month of stock shocks.

STOCKRACING917
09-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Just for better suspension and easier for the jumps. He raced the whole year before on his stock shocks (and by the way we bought the first bike used from a guy that had had it about a yr. and he hadn't had to replace the stock shocks either.) on the old bike and we put the elkas on the last race in 2007 at Loretta's. It made such a difference to him that we purposed to go ahead and do that when we bought the new one. We also transferred the flex bars we had from the old bike,I'd forgotten that. But other than that..that's pretty much it. I don't think I said anywhere you won't want to do upgrades to it. I believe, as I've see Eton Daddy refer somewhat...It's a sickness we can't help but keep tinkering..I am in the process of trying to build my own aftermarket "attachments" to continually increase the performance of our bike..while trying to somewhat maintain a fraction of control of my wallet..lol.

TRX450RACER174
09-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Yes it is a sickness i love to tinker and fabricate so i will have alot of one off custom parts on my Apex i will post some pics of my bulid when it gets started.

racerdad199
09-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the response.

How does the long travel compare to an aftermarket set up?

I couldnt agree more... it is a sickness:eek2:

marsrace2
09-08-2008, 08:59 AM
congrats, buying that Apex was a good choice.