PDA

View Full Version : KTM Quads are faster than Bikes!

J Caster
09-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Ok I just wanted to post this for all the quad guys out there. Most of the bike guys I know are always bagging on quad guys for being slow and for racing a couch around the desert.

I recently took my nearly stock All American/Precision Concepts KTM 525 quad to a night race in California City and won the overall by 3 minutes. Here is some quotes from Lou the promoter who runs the race series-

"It was a night race. It was a dead engine start. It was like a bomb run (all lined up on the same row in the dark desert - full moon was just rising), except no bomb. Before starting, you had to straddle the front wheel of your bike or Quad, and when the Green flag dropped, you moved around, jump on your ride, start it and take off.

Josh Caster was among the top five at the start, Nicholas Blais was about three bikes behind, when they all hit the road, it was pandemonium and just like being shot out of a cannon, Caster and Blais were up in front and diced it out for the next eight laps. It was a barn-burner, Mama. Caster took the OA and first in Open Expert Quad, Blais took second overall and first in the Open Exp MC. But what a race! I spotted these guys at various points of the 9.5 mile course, and I have to tell you, they never let off, even on the roughed out, rocky, dusty whoops. Frikin' amazing!
Congrats to Josh. As Blais said at the finish, "I came out on the high speed road and I had it pegged, and then I saw Josh get by me. I figured that was it for me."
Nonetheless, these guys put on a great show."

“OH, yes. That was the first time that a Quad has taken an overall in our Gran Prix and/or SuperCourse events, since we first started in 1986. Even when we start Quads four-minutes behind the start time for the first bikes and adjust their start times accordingly to make them equal, nobody has been able to come close to it. And by the way, you beat no slouch. Nobody has been able to beat Nicholas at our events. I believe he has a 100% record. He's never lost in one of our races. That's sweet and will hopefully light a spark to others if you decide to race with us in October."

Here are the results- http://www.altavistaevents.com/08-SC4r.htm

Thanks to All American KTM and Precision Concepts!
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/fastercaster/P1010787-1.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/fastercaster/P1010027.jpg

ADTR14
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I saw that on RDC. Good Job! So how are you liking your KTM? Any plans for it in the near future? wider a-arms ect?

J Caster
09-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ADTR14
I saw that on RDC. Good Job! So how are you liking your KTM? Any plans for it in the near future? wider a-arms ect?

I love the quad. It will stay the way it is now. I see no need to put arms on it because it works so good the way it is. This was the second night race I've raced it at, both with overall wins.

KTM built a race winning quad right off the showroom floor. The only changes to my quad are a twist throttle, steering stabilizer, lights, larger Maxxis tires and had Precision Concepts revalve the suspension.

realbadlarry
09-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Bigger stator???Are they 35watt HIDs?

J Caster
09-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by realbadlarry
Bigger stator???Are they 35watt HIDs?

KTM comes stock with 200watt stator. There is no need to change it.

I run two 8" Baja Designs lights, a 100 watt pencil beam and a 55 watt flood beam. Both are halogen. The halogen lights are easier on my eyes than the HID's.

realbadlarry
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM
I had heard about the 200w stator, but nobody, actually confirmed it by running big lights. I'm thinking I'm going to get some of the bar mount trail tech hid's for mine. Just for the late night Ocotillo and Glamis runs.......hell I can't see well enough to race in the daylight let alone nighttime.

BludgerDB
09-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Awesome....congratz!

joedirt
09-02-2008, 08:10 PM
You got HIDs on your helmet?

ADTR14
09-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Well its good to know the KTM is proving itself. I guess i'll have to get one.

I have one more question: Whos faster you or Matlock?:D

JGlaze
09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
That's it! I'm buying one!!!!!

scottwvu
09-03-2008, 06:27 AM
You sir are obviously one h*ll of a rider....my hat off to you.

However I would line up with you on my CRF450R any day of the week. I have raced stock 525's before and it was over before I hit 3rd. Let's be reasonable here.

J Caster
09-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by scottwvu
You sir are obviously one h*ll of a rider....my hat off to you.

However I would line up with you on my CRF450R any day of the week. I have raced stock 525's before and it was over before I hit 3rd. Let's be reasonable here.

Look at the results. It was a CRF450R "bike" that was in second.

J Caster
09-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by joedirt
You got HIDs on your helmet?

Yes I wear two HID lights on my helmet but turn them off when riding in a lot of dust. They are great when the air is clear but make a lot of glare when it's dusty.

J Caster
09-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by ADTR14
Well its good to know the KTM is proving itself. I guess i'll have to get one.

I have one more question: Whos faster you or Matlock?:D

Right now I would say I'm faster because he still has 5 broken ribs and a broke collar bone. :D

scottwvu
09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by J Caster
Look at the results. It was a CRF450R "bike" that was in second.

On THAT day with those riders, you were faster. Again, an amazing accomplishment.

But the title of the thread is "KTM quads are faster than bikes". That is a sweeping rationalization that is quite simply NOT true.

Again I mean NO disrespect. It WAS an amazing achievement. But it was amazing because it happened at all. In other words, it was the EXCEPTION to the rule, not the rule itself.

Congrats again :cool:

ADTR14
09-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by scottwvu
On THAT day with those riders, you were faster. Again, an amazing accomplishment.

But the title of the thread is "KTM quads are faster than bikes". That is a sweeping rationalization that is quite simply NOT true.

Congrats again :cool:

I think you are taking the title WAY TOO literally. I dont know this guy personally but from some other results he has posted on RDC i dont think it was a fluke.

OutlawBill
09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
I have seen Josh race against some of the best desert racers in the USA and he is just as fast as they are. The fact he does it on a stock KTM show you that he and the KTM are fast. I think you will see his name in some of the bigger race as the winner soon. If KTM wanted too have a winning KTM desert race team they need to have Josh Caster on it.

Congrats Josh looking forward to see you at the races.

krt400ex
09-08-2008, 07:12 PM
this is a track setting...not just a straight up drag. in a drag where horsepower and lightweight reign...im sure the bike would win, but this race wasnt the case.

congrats on the win

protraxrptr17
09-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
this is a track setting...not just a straight up drag. in a drag where horsepower and lightweight reign...im sure the bike would win, but this race wasnt the case.

congrats on the win

That's right. It just goes to show how far we've come as far as handling and rider skill. It really has nothing to do with engine power because we basically have the same engines as the bikes. Comparing bikes and ATV's in a drag race is pretty much pointless.:rolleyes:

Hats off to you on the win. Wasn't Weinen or somebody just a few seconds off Stewarts lap times at the invitational?

JGlaze
09-23-2008, 07:42 AM
I believe that they overlapped lap times and the top quad would have finished 5th or so in the "MX" class. Not bad for machines that weigh almost 2 times more than a Factory 450 dirt bike!

QuadJunkies
09-23-2008, 10:12 AM
That is very cool! Congrats to you!!
IS there any video that maybe any media done on the event? Id like to see that !!:blah: :macho

J Caster
09-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
That is very cool! Congrats to you!!
IS there any video that maybe any media done on the event? Id like to see that !!:blah: :macho
There was no video that I know of due too it being a night race but here is the race report from the promoter-

CASTER KOs COMPETITION

A Nighttime Romp in the Desert

California City, CA – August 16, 2008

By Elias Vidal

What if I told you that Nicholas Blais, so far the undisputed champ at the Alta Vista Events (AVE) Desert SuperCourse Series in Cal City was for the first time beaten for the Overall by a newbie to SuperCourse events. What if I told you that everyone took off at the same time and when the first lap was completed, this newbie was ahead by about 37 seconds. What if I told you that it was a night race and the start was a dead engine start, in the dark and everyone had to hit the main road out of the start—a road that you could only see when the bikes lit up. What if I told you that this newbie to AVE events is Josh Caster? In addition, what if I was to tell you that the Overall winner was Caster riding a 525 KTM XC QUAD, sponsored by All American KTM, and Precision Concepts!

You had better believe it because it’s absolutely true much to the dismay of Nicholas Blais. “Nic” had been invincible in all the AVE SuperCourse events he’s participated so far in the last couple of years. When he showed up to register (late) everyone thought, “Well, there goes the overall again.” The guy has been terrific. But no one paid too much attention to Josh Caster, from El Cajon. Josh and his buddies were sitting around for the weekend, thinking whether they should go and play or maybe try this night race in Cal City. They had never been in Cal City, at least not for any type of competition, so they thought it would be fun to make the trek and “try it out.” Boy, did they.

The Super-C started at exactly 10 p.m. The 9.6-mile racecourse was well marked with lots of reflective tape and signs. Race organizer, Lou Peralta decided to play a little game by not letting anyone know where the start line was located until after they all came back from their “Parade Lap” led by race director, Todd Starks. When riders were returning they immediately started looking for the start flag. The flag was found in the middle of the darkened desert (lit only by a full moon). From there, races started lining up all on the same row. They still didn’t know where they were going until Peralta showed them the location. Some of the riders were apprehensive. “What in the heck is Lou doing?” said one of the riders. “He’s crazy, how am I going to find where the course picks up?” said another. By the time Peralta showed them where they had to go they felt a bit better but not by much.

Suddenly, every rider had to face backwards and keep an eye on the starter. When the green flag dropped, they worked round their bike or Quad, started and took off into the night. The start was so good that not a single rider got off. They all hit the mark and begun their two-hour romp into the balmy (91 degree) moonlit, and well-marked desert course.

At the completion of the first lap, much to everyone’s surprise, Quad #936, with Caster aboard showed up in first, followed thirty or so seconds later by Open Expert Honda #107 of Nick Blais (Mid-Cities, Pro Honda Oils, FMF, IMS, Fast Co, Dirt Diggits, Rovers MC).

Well everyone was surprised, but also everyone thought, that shouldn’t last for long. Blais, as he usually does, will blast through traffic and wind up cruising for the rest of the two hours.

Not so, lap two it was once again Josh Caster on the 525 KTM HC Quad, not about now 41 seconds ahead of Blais. Whoa! What’s happening here? The crowd was amazed as the perennial winner Blais, was actually dropping back. “It’s a fluke man,” said a spectator who is well acquainted with Blais’ modus-operandi. “Ah, just wait, he’ll get him.” By lap three, Caster’s lead was down to 37 seconds. “Oh, he’ll get him by the next lap,” assured a bystander. By lap four Caster lead was back up to 42 seconds and apparently, Nicholas Blais was having problems with the battery pack that was feeding his helmet lights. So he had to make an extra stop. From then on, it was all Caster’s and his KTM Quad. He continued to post fast laps that no one could match. In fact, Caster posted the fastest lap on his first lap, which was 14:11 min, but AVE does not count the first lap to decide who posted the quickest lap. Caster’s second lap was a 14:44 min, which Nicholas Blais matched on his third lap. So they were tied. However, Caster did wind up with a faster third lap, which edged out Blais for the “Fast Lap” award. At the finish, Blais admitted, “I knew I was in trouble when we came onto a fast road and I had my Honda pegged, and Caster went by me maybe ten to twelve miles an hour faster. I was done!” Also at the finish, Caster commented on the race. “It was fun competing against Nic. I knew he was back there all the time so I just didn’t let up. The course was fun, well marked. Great time.”

Caster and Blais were first and second Overall each winning their respective Classes Expert Quad and Open Expert. Third overall was Tom Phoenix (EXCR KTM 530) who also won the 40+ Novice Class. Fourth overall went to Rob Padovich (KTM 505) on his way to the top of the 30+ Novice Class. Rounding out the top five overall was Matt Tarry Yamaha WRF 250 – TRE, Fire & Ice Racing, United MC), who won the 250 Novice Class.

By 12:30 a.m. the race was over and the crowed loved it. It was fun, nobody got off, no incidents and for the most part everyone seemed pleased with the course, the markings and the results. The only thing that may have marred the atmosphere was a fight that took place on the other side of the pits among some local youths that apparently had nothing better to do on a Saturday night than to go out looking for a scrimmage. The Cal City DIRT Team was quickly on top of it, and made sure that nothing else happen. Thanks to the DIRT Team for their service.

QuadJunkies
09-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Some video footage is done with lights, so I wasnt sure.

KingpinsEx
11-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Weinens fastest lap time was only 5 seconds slower than Stewarts fastest lap time at the steel city pro invite. If anyone was at that race no other bike was even close to Stewart so i think he would have done better than 5th, most likely he would have podiumed! And keep in mind that was on a track basically setup for dirtbikes and the top quad riders cleared all the same jumps the pro bikes did. The gap between the two machines is closing all the time, I honestly believe quads will overtake the bike times in many races in the future.

bradley300
11-14-2008, 06:58 AM
so do i. just watching on TV, it seems the quads really can have the edge on corner speed. it could just be the huge roost they throw, but they look faster in the corners than the bikes

JGlaze
11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Quads definately have an advantage in corners for most situations. I ride a Dirt Bike for cross training and it's a different animal for sure!