PDA

View Full Version : Ramps / tracks how to build?

Instinctz
12-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Hey, well I think im goin to try and build a few ramps to jump on. But I hanvt ever raced mx, or anything like that but I was just wondering if anyone can help with names of ramps.. and their styles. Most importantly how do you build them.

Nausty
12-08-2002, 03:56 PM
are you talking kicker ramps? Or differant types of ramps as in meanings like doubles, table tops, triples, ect.? Check out freestylemtx.com and go to forums and then ramps and you should be able to find some stuff.

Jimmah
12-08-2002, 03:57 PM
I've made wooden ramps which have come out decent. I usually draw them up on the pc first to get a general idea. To get the angle right I just took a string and nailed it to each edge of the ply wood and kept curving the string until I found a bend I liked. Just make a lot of braces on it to keep it sturdy. I am now working on a black iron one that I'm making at work. I'll keep you guys posted.... If you need anymore help just IM me on JChris7668.

Instinctz
12-08-2002, 04:01 PM
I would like it to be just dirt packed ramps, but I was just wanting to know some peoples feedback that have done this.

400exrules
12-08-2002, 04:10 PM
well your gonna need alot of dirt

NTPRacing#19
12-08-2002, 04:14 PM
alright well if your talkin dirt jumps then you should use the term "jumps" instead of ramps because we think of ramps as wooden built or steel constructed jumps.

I have built a full on mx track behind my house and it will be alot of work depending on what kind of soil you have. If you have loam, your made in heaven bacause loam is always tacky and packs down awesome! if you have sand then t you will have a lot of whoops, ruts and you will have to do ALOT of maintence on the jumps.

Everything is easy to make if you have a bulldoser or loader, or some kind of heavy equipment, thats what i had access to.

Instinctz
12-08-2002, 04:18 PM
I dont have any machines to help (shovels? ahh!) but I could rent some once I get the dirt.

I live in oklahoma, which is just alot of sand mostly where I live but I was going to try and get a few truck loads of dirt for my jumps once I get it planned out.

If I only expect 3-5 feet of air should I need a landing jump?

12-08-2002, 04:55 PM
if ur makin a jump that small just use a shovel and wheel barrow, i think it would be considered a bump

Instinctz
12-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Yeah probably, but I want to make a small one, then work my way up to some larger ones. I think I am goin to make a woods track with a mix of some bumps, and jumps.. heh (expanding my vocab I guess) again, I am new so learning alot of the names of stuff as I go.

NTPRacing#19
12-08-2002, 05:09 PM
we know :D

12-08-2002, 05:11 PM
if i was you id sell all those trikes and buy a 250x or blaster thier alot better for jumping

Jimmah
12-08-2002, 05:11 PM
If your learning to do jumps then yes make a landing cause you need to learn how to land too. Also a flat landing is **** on the bike.