PDA

View Full Version : swingarm carrier bearing

interceptorz28
09-02-2008, 08:02 AM
My rear carrier is shot. The bearing on one side looks like it fell apart or the seal failed and water got in there. I am going to replace the whole thing. Is there a good brand out there that someone can recommend. I see some called a "dual row" on Ebay for around 130. Does the new carrier come with the bearings already installed?

Any input on the install would help.

WB450r
09-02-2008, 11:07 AM
last week my stock bearing carrier went out..and i got the billet bearing carrier off of ebay for $130...i think it came from eastcoastatv..not sure..but billet is alot stronger than cast aluminum...IMO there are alot better carriers out there but im not gunna spend $300 on a carrier..

interceptorz28
09-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Actually I guess its just the bearing on one side that is shot. I probably dont have to change the carrier. I have replaced the axle before and that was easy.

Is it difficult to remove the carrier? Is it pressed in the swingarm?? I cant tell by looking at it how it is installed.

interceptorz28
09-05-2008, 08:01 AM
so I took apart the carrier yesterday. The left side bearing was completely destroyed and just fell out. There was also no grease in there at all! Probably from riding through a creek in PA and water got in there, then it heated up and failed. I wil post pics tonight.

I think I am going to need a new carrier because the bearing "race" looks all messed up.

d3ktrix
09-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by WB450r
last week my stock bearing carrier went out..and i got the billet bearing carrier off of ebay for $130...i think it came from eastcoastatv..not sure..but billet is alot stronger than cast aluminum...IMO there are alot better carriers out there but im not gunna spend $300 on a carrier..

I went through 3 of those carriers in a few months. The first 1 went out after 3 laps.
They are trash, buy a new one for a backup asap.They must use the cheapest bearings they can find.
Even when you first install the carrier they don't roll as freely as other brands.
I just switched to an RPM twin row. Only few bux more then the eastcoast one.

mjc597
09-06-2008, 06:45 AM
i had a 400ex i used to race and i put a lonestar dual row carrier in that. it held up great and i never had a problem..it wasn't much more than the east coast one you're talking about...plus it had dual bearings

mc_racer
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by interceptorz28

I think I am going to need a new carrier because the bearing "race" looks all messed up.
That doesn't mean the carrier is bad, the new bearings will come with a new race.

interceptorz28
09-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I bought the lonestar dual row. Yes, the race is the outside of the bearing. The piece that the bearing sits in on the carrier is all f'ed up. It just wouldn't go in straight and flush. Its weird, I really fried it. I will try and post a pic.

interceptorz28
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I am going to install my new Lonestar carrier after work today. I thought I read something about using a special silicone grease on it and NOT to use axle grease. Anyone ever hear of this?