PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of new winter project and need help!!

bridanmya
09-01-2008, 10:22 PM
So looking to build from the ground up an 04-05 honda 450r over the winter, was just wondering what you guys think i should get first to get me started on a roller and then work from there. Thanks

Drewltr450
09-01-2008, 10:34 PM
powder coat the frame first

Crusty450er
09-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Drewltr450
powder coat the frame first

like he said but add a gusset kit and since you will have your motor pulled out might as well freshen the motor up-piston,rings, bearings and clutch. all within your budget. go through and check all your bearings on your bike cuz this will keep you from breaking down and spending a big wad of cash. change all your fluids. what do you want to do/have in mind for your quad?

bridanmya
09-01-2008, 11:39 PM
actually I meant i was gonna build one from the ground up buy a frame, sub frame and start from there, so I can build one the way i want, is this a good idea or is it better to buy one complete and then give it an overhaul? Looking for a good project.

Crusty450er
09-02-2008, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by bridanmya
actually I meant i was gonna build one from the ground up buy a frame, sub frame and start from there, so I can build one the way i want, is this a good idea or is it better to buy one complete and then give it an overhaul? Looking for a good project.
some will say its a good idea and some will say its a bad idea. it all depends. the way i see it - they part their quads out cuz they will make more money parting them out than selling the quad as a whole. but you can look at that two differant ways. some quad owners have a ton of aftermarket parts on their quad and wont get what they want fo it so they part it. but its all in what you have in store. buy a used quad, start to restore it, and if there is something you are changing on it sell those parts to buy the parts you want to put on. thats my suggestion. there are some cheap quads out there cuz times are tough.