PDA

View Full Version : want to paint a arms?

400extracc
12-08-2002, 03:31 PM
hey boys, just have a simple question. i want to paint my a arms.
what kind of paint should i use? should i prime it first? and can i paint them with the arms on or should i take them off? they look like a pain in the @$$ to take off. i'm go'n to need that special tool that takes of the ball joint out, right?

thx:huh

Pappy
12-08-2002, 03:43 PM
they arent real hard to take off. the ball joint tool will help greatly.

once they are off....strip them and prime...then paint and clearcoat them.

try using primer and paint and clear from the same manufacture . enamel is the preferred paint but laquer may be more redily available.

i have painted several sets with great success. and they seem to be holding up very well.

400extracc
12-08-2002, 03:48 PM
thx, but how do i take the ball joint off without that tool????

thx

pics or tricks would help.
thx:devil

Pappy
12-08-2002, 03:51 PM
i have used everything from a rubber mallet to the appropriate tools....lol

the tool is only like $12 -18 at wal mart.

im sure someone can better explain the proper procedure better then I, but the best place to start would be to get a good manual for your quad.

400extracc
12-08-2002, 07:35 PM
yeah, i got one. just tells you how to take it off with the tool.

thx

Pappy
12-08-2002, 07:57 PM
ok...when i took off my a arms the first time this is how i did it:

i used a 2x4 and supported the upper a arm.....keepin the front wheel about 3 inches off the ground. i took a hammer and a long extension( i didnt say this was the best way) and drove down on teh spindle. this released the upper ball joint from the spindle. then i removed teh upper a arm.

then i supported the spindle and used the same extension to knock out the lower ball joint. just keep the nut at the very top of the ball joint so you dont damage the threads.

i have done 3 sets like this ....it aint perfect but the job got done with no damage :p