PDA

View Full Version : Ram Air?

Snipe
09-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Has anyone ever attempted to make the 400ex a ram air intake? My 2008 model would be actually really easy to make this happen though im more curious then really wanting to do this at this point lol.

Im thinking it would be pretty easy as long as you could get the tubing for it.

Hondamaster5505
09-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
Has anyone ever attempted to make the 400ex a ram air intake? My 2008 model would be actually really easy to make this happen though im more curious then really wanting to do this at this point lol.

Im thinking it would be pretty easy as long as you could get the tubing for it.

you'll never be going fast enough to make it worth it.

Like on cars, the ram air doesnt even really start to help until about 70-80mph

drew416ex
09-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah plus most cars with ram air have a supercharger or turbo. You could still do it just to say you have it. :D

REDRIDDER
09-01-2008, 06:48 PM
This kid had one on his quad, I haven't seen him on here in a while unless he got kicked off or changed his screen name.he had a 440ex with some blue clothes dryer vent hose connected from his air box to his front bumper,and supposedly it was too much he said and took it off lol.

Snipe
09-01-2008, 06:50 PM
well my thought would be to remove the air intake snorkle that goes up under the fuel tank.

And make a ram air that runs all the way up to the front fender or possibly split and run to both front fenders. It would by like running an open airbox without actually running an open airbox. I will try to get a pic of my quad there are two cutouts on the front fenders were the air goes through for the snorkle but it would be better over stock air intake I would think.

On this subject does anyone run open airbox? like the K&N airfilter lid with the fiber sleeve over it. do these really repel water like they say?

That is why I love a forum as it gets you away from talking to the guy who is trying to sell you the item and to the ppl who have actually tried the item lol.

drew416ex
09-01-2008, 07:05 PM
i run the open lid and used to have a outerwares lid/sleeve or whatever you want to call it. It repeled water for about two years then it started to soak it up. Now i just run the outerwears wrap.

Hondamaster5505
09-01-2008, 07:08 PM
even if the ram air did work at low speeds, it still wouldn't benefit on a quad with a carb.

If you leave the jetting, it will run leaner the faster you go. But if you made it richer for going fast, you'll be too rich at low speeds.

It should best be tried with EFI

Snipe
09-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Thats one thing I wish the 400's were is fuel injected. Was a cool thought. Would be cool to try though and see how it worked ya never know maybe a new patent in the making right there.

Banshee_370
09-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
you'll never be going fast enough to make it worth it.

Like on cars, the ram air doesnt even really start to help until about 70-80mph

i guess that means foxhondarider needs 2 of them.......

09-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Banshee_370

whats that supposed to mean?

blaaze416
09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
_^^^ noooooooo.....not this thread too!!!

i use the k&n lid with outerwear, and yes it works...for a while. must replace outerwear every 1.5 years or so. they do soak it up after that. or keep them cleaned, and spray scotchguard on them when they have dried. surley that's what they do at the factory!

Hondamaster5505
09-02-2008, 01:39 PM

lmfao!

I dont want to start any fights in here, but that was funny.

stoopidbot
09-02-2008, 02:01 PM
You guys just gave me an idea. On the newer Rhinos the air box is mounted dead center under the hood. The previous models were between the 2 seats. Once I put on the Full Bore body kit there will be air vents on the hood right over the air box. Do you guys think it would be worth trying to rig up some sort of ram air? The Rhino has a 700cc with EFI.

REDRIDDER
09-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
You guys just gave me an idea. On the newer Rhinos the air box is mounted dead center under the hood. The previous models were between the 2 seats. Once I put on the Full Bore body kit there will be air vents on the hood right over the air box. Do you guys think it would be worth trying to rig up some sort of ram air? The Rhino has a 700cc with EFI. Can't say you tried it until you did it right lol.

stoopidbot
09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
I plan on removing the whole air box soon anyways, wouldn't hurt to try to rig something up before I do it

09-02-2008, 02:49 PM
lmfao!

I dont want to start any fights in here, but that was funny.

seriously i dont get it. i even re read the thread to make sure i didnt miss anything and yea theres still nothing. if that was supposed to be mocking me then idk what to say because it doesnt even make sense.

justin1022
09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
whats that supposed to mean?

i think he was thinking if you have to of them it cuts how fast u need to be going in half. not sure though.

Hondamaster5505
09-02-2008, 02:59 PM
seriously i dont get it. i even re read the thread to make sure i didnt miss anything and yea theres still nothing. if that was supposed to be mocking me then idk what to say because it doesnt even make sense.

Basically he's saying since it won't work and doesn't really do anything, that it's probably something you would do.

I really dont know how to explain it. Its one of those things you have to get for yourself the first time and understand.

09-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Basically he's saying since it won't work and doesn't really do anything, that it's probably something you would do.

I really dont know how to explain it. Its one of those things you have to get for yourself the first time and understand.

so your saying everything i do doesnt work and doesnt do anything. the header welds ground down obviously didnt do much couldnt feel any difference because they were almost perfect from the factory but other than that everything on my quad has a point and has done something. want to race my 400ex vs yours since nothing i have does anything?

REDRIDDER
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh here we go again!!!!!!:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Hondamaster5505
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
so your saying everything i do doesnt work and doesnt do anything. the header welds ground down obviously didnt do much couldnt feel any difference because they were almost perfect from the factory but other than that everything on my quad has a point and has done something. want to race my 400ex vs yours since nothing i have does anything?

Hah, someones PMS'ing.

I didn't even say a word. I just laughed at his comment and tried to explain what he said since you didn't understand.

No need to get your panties in a bunch :macho

(PS, I love to race people and would do it in a heartbeat, but you live in florida, lmao)

yfzrider310
09-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I made a ram air intake for my blaster when I was younger and still have it laying around. I used a vacuum cleaner hose and at the end of it I put a blowdryer motor. I hooked up a 9 volt battery and reversed the current so it would suck it air at any speed. It worked good and I might put it on my yfz. I ran the tube up from the front bumper into the airbox intake. Very easy to make I assume since I was 12 when I did it.

drew416ex
09-02-2008, 03:17 PM
cant we all just get along? :(

Hondamaster5505
09-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
cant we all just get along? :(

I never started with anyone. After a thread goes wrong, I don't hold a revenge against them and attack them in other threads.

Only hondarider101 I did that with, but now we're cool.

09-02-2008, 03:39 PM
lol i have rage and i want to fight or something some people in this world piss me off like people who dont use their blinkers, cut you off, drive under the speed limit, cant stay a steady speed while driving, they are not paying attention because they are on the phone lol I wish i was a nascar driver so i can go fast cut people off and if someone goes too slow they get rammed or bumped and spun out. nah i'm just messin, i've been i get entertainment out of this stuff lol banshee_370 doesnt belong here and after what he said he shouldnt even come back into these forums. other that that i dont have a probelm with anyone. but dude if you ever come down this way let me know i dont care what you race me with cause its fun no matter what

Hondamaster5505
09-02-2008, 03:41 PM
lol i have rage and i want to fight or something some people in this world piss me off like people who dont use their blinkers, cut you off, drive under the speed limit, cant stay a steady speed while driving, they are not paying attention because they are on the phone lol I wish i was a nascar driver so i can go fast cut people off and if someone goes too slow they get rammed or bumped and spun out. nah i'm just messin, i've been i get entertainment out of this stuff lol banshee_370 doesnt belong here and after what he said he shouldnt even come back into these forums. other that that i dont have a probelm with anyone. but dude if you ever come down this way let me know i dont care what you race me with cause its fun no matter what

hell yeah.

We were already at disney world when I was a little kid. No more traveling for us though.

We are going to NC this month to pick up a grizzly 600 we bought off ebay that needs work. But I can't bring my quad because we can only fit one in the pickup bed.

Speedy 400ex
09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider310
I made a ram air intake for my blaster when I was younger and still have it laying around. I used a vacuum cleaner hose and at the end of it I put a blowdryer motor. I hooked up a 9 volt battery and reversed the current so it would suck it air at any speed. It worked good and I might put it on my yfz. I ran the tube up from the front bumper into the airbox intake. Very easy to make I assume since I was 12 when I did it.

A friend of mines dad did that to there gocart, but they used a rc plane fan.

Banshee_370
09-02-2008, 05:41 PM

well i hear you beat up on modded banshees with only 3/4 throttle so i figure that means your 400ex must do like 130mph in 5th gear......since a stock banshee will do 72mph(as per atv action magazine)

Banshee_370
09-02-2008, 05:43 PM

i dont belong here? this is the 400ex forums and i have a 400ex so i can be here all i want....its not my fault you cant take a joke.

Hondamaster5505
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
well i hear you beat up on modded banshees with only 3/4 throttle so i figure that means your 400ex must do like 130mph in 5th gear......since a stock banshee will do 72mph(as per atv action magazine)

Hey, we should just drop it. We aren't going to change his mind, and he isnt going to change ours.

Just come over to the HQ more, everyone beats up and makes fun of the 4-pokers over there:D

Banshee_370
09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey, we should just drop it. We aren't going to change his mind, and he isnt going to change ours.

Just come over to the HQ more, everyone beats up and makes fun of the 4-pokers over there:D

im on hq..been there for few years now, see your in pa...where you ride at?

09-02-2008, 05:52 PM
shall i post up what banshee_370 said about us? i rather not start a feud but this guy after talking that much crap and making fun of us shouldnt even be here.

09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Ryda85 or as you all know him as banshee_370:

"i made one or 2 topics asking some basic questions about tuning 400's and got no response back at all. but as soon as someone posts "check out my air scoops" or "best filter" every1 chimes in so i was a lil pissy and made a thread stating how slow i thought my 400ex was compared to my banshee and i keep looking to shift inth 6thgear and there is none and i got loads of responses stating how my banshee blows and is only decent for dragging and how a few 400exs on there toast banshees all day long....blah blah blah.......one kid even says he never loses to a shee and all he has is a slip on, filter, and jets....oo and he only had it at 3/4 throttle!

****in honda owners...gay as hell.....makes me want to sell my ex just so im not part of them"

09-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Can't we all just get along? lol.

And not to start any arguments, but fox you tend to try and beat up on banshee's whenever they are even mentioned. That isn't necessary and immature.

Lets stop. Whenever we get in these debates, they never end and we go at it for days. It just wastes bandwidth and our time, lol.

(BTW, don't ask about the username. Always thought hondamaster sounded kinda gay and wanted to change it, but its always so hard when you're already subscribed to a bunch of different threads)

09-02-2008, 06:17 PM
i'm fine with getting along besides with puss in boots banshee_370. everything was cool he had to come back and start it up. i cant go leaving it at that if i start something i usually have to have it finished. if your dissin a quad your asking help about then you shouldnt get help with it at all.

odog
09-02-2008, 06:25 PM
hey fox dont worry about the shees they are what they are a 400ex are what they are i raced a turbo banshee and a 660 raptor the banshee beat us by about 12-15 bikes once he hit 3 the race was over at the end of the race i was about 1 to 1/2 behind the raptor but when we hit the trail it was so dusty that we both jumped on the banshee because of the torque i guess and im sure on a strait in the trail he had the power to pass us but couldnt maybe because of the dust or maybe the spinning either way he was good on the street but lost in the trail

odog
09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
o yea keep in mind that was a turbo banshee and there also was a 2 stroke kx250 dirtbike and it also got the same treatment as me and the raptor on the street

Banshee_370
09-02-2008, 09:25 PM
i'm fine with getting along besides with puss in boots banshee_370. everything was cool he had to come back and start it up. i cant go leaving it at that if i start something i usually have to have it finished. if your dissin a quad your asking help about then you shouldnt get help with it at all.

lol puss in boots? you need to grow up a little...making a lame *** site, crying that i shouldnt be alowed to post here....this whole thing started with me saying that my 400 wasnt as fast as my banshee and you cryied like a little *****...im done now...

so does anyone make a "bolt on" ram air kit for a 00 400ex. i think it would be really cool to have one, i can only see it helping.

Snipe
09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Alright I started this topic as a simple question not to be hijacked by the banshee vs honda bull. If the mag sais a stock banshee will run 72 stock I have read that the stock 400 will run 70 stock (not the net!!! from the dealer!) everyone drop this bull and get back to the topic in general or keep ya mouths shut.

Or by all means start a totally new thread.