PDA

View Full Version : Violently shuts down

Crazy lil punk
09-01-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,

I was riding my yfz this weekend, and the bike ran out of gas. So I fliped it on to reserve and pulled off the track, on my way down to my truck to get gas, i saw a buddy that was broke down, so I grabbed a tie-down and pulled him back to his truck. Then I filled my quad up, when out and did like 2 laps, and the bike just shut down. The battery was dead and it wouldn't restart. So, I got pulled back to my truck and borrowed a set of jumper cables, I jumped my bike and it started right up, but after starting up, it violently shuts down, like it sounds like it sucks something in, and it starts right up everytime, but shuts off again.

Sorry for the long story, but I want you to know all the details, can any one tell me where to start my search for the problem?

thanks, Joe

Honda_Matt
09-02-2008, 06:35 AM
If you have a voltmeter, try testing battery voltage when off, and battery voltage when on.

see if when its running its getting a charge, should be over 12V

rt20ps
09-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Honda_Matt
If you have a voltmeter, try testing battery voltage when off, and battery voltage when on.

see if when its running its getting a charge, should be over 12V

It should be over 12 shut off. It should be over 14 running.

It is possible you leaned it out too much when you ran it out of gas. You should start by checking compression and leakage.