PDA

View Full Version : BAT problem!!!

Lowcountrydave
09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Last year I found bats were using the eaves/louvers of the house for a hangout. Theres screen behind them. Crawled up on a ladder, I was able to catch 7 of the 9 occupants. I transplanted them a few miles away at a friends house. He has a bat house. I know they are good for eating mosquitoes, but they crap out just as many as they eat! Extremely messy critters. Anyways the other day a flock of them flew out. After the first group left, my wife counted 24 more bats!

I don't want to kill them, and I'm sure they are protected also. What can I do to make them leave? I have plans of applying screen on the outsides of the louvers and trim it out. Hoping to discourage future residents.

Thanks for reading.

Do you think a air horn for game day would make them take off.

Dave

quad2xtreme
09-01-2008, 04:57 PM
this is the common fix in NC too. Friend of mine just had it done. Essentially the guy built external frames with screens then came back and mounted them.

quad2xtreme
09-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Lowcountrydave
Do you think a air horn for game day would make them take off.

Dave

Probably just more poop. :D

09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
i would think an airhorn would make them go away but yeah more poop may occur as a result. not only the bats but your neighbors lol

cdrookie
09-01-2008, 07:42 PM
i have 1(or 2) inside my house, been freeloading for a few days. i'll see it every third night as it'll take a few laps around the house then disappears again:grr: :ermm:

ZeroLogic
09-01-2008, 07:53 PM
My boss had the same problem. They were crapping right on the front door mat. He build a smaller roof above his doorway. It looks good and solved the problem.

Pappy
09-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Screens and blocking any other entrances would be my advice.

We had them non stop in our barns, and with it being an old bank barn, securing openings was not doable. We were advised to scare them off as often as possible:p

I came home one day and found a few empty 12 gauge shells, and no bats. Not sure who did them in but the problem was resolved. Hated to see it, because they do alot of good, but they would ruin alot of hay and really stunk up that area.

wilkin250r
09-02-2008, 03:02 AM
You could confirm this with a little internet research, but I believe bats are really territorial. They don't transplant well, they simply fly back to their original home.

It's kinda tough to relocate a bat by force. The best method, short of professional intervention, is to encourage the bat to leave by choice. Like Pappy said, scare them off as often as possible, just make life a hassle for them and they'll find somewhere else to make home.

Kickstarts-suck
09-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Dress up as a big bat and make them follow you to another location.

extremeblastr
09-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck

and be sure to video it as you never know when this will be needed for scientific purposes

justin1022
09-02-2008, 09:58 AM
i had a bat at my house one time it was tough to see but i got rid of it. ye 12 guage did the trick.

quad2xtreme
09-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
this is the common fix in NC too. Friend of mine just had it done. Essentially the guy built external frames with screens then came back and mounted them.

I actually have squirrel problems. Damn squirrels climb right up the bricks on the house, gnaw through the bat screen, and nest in the attic. I made the mistake of poisoning one who died in or above a spare bedroom. We had to keep the door closed for a month before the smell left. Now, we trap squirrels. :D

Scro
09-02-2008, 12:14 PM
There's was a show on tv that showed a house's attic that was infested with pigeons. They showed alot of ways to keep them out including the screens and blocking entrances like was said.

Another thing they did - anywhere that a bird, or bat in this case, could possibly land, they put something there so it couldn't land. I forget what they used, but it seemed pretty effective.

Pappy
09-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
I actually have squirrel problems. Damn squirrels climb right up the bricks on the house, gnaw through the bat screen, and nest in the attic. I made the mistake of poisoning one who died in or above a spare bedroom. We had to keep the door closed for a month before the smell left. Now, we trap squirrels. :D

Tree rats....they are on the menu here:scary:

Mxjunkie
09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck

He would have to pee on them as well.. Gotta show them its your territory.. :scary:

derekhonda
09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Turn off the lights and grab a flashlight. Bats are attracted to lights.

Thats moths you idiot.

Oh yeah.

-Blacksheep

Lowcountrydave
09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Alright I was planning on replaceing my wifes timing belt on her Honda Accord. Then handle the bats. But now I'm waiting on a specialty tool. So tomorrow, I'm on a recon mission to see how many I'm dealing with.

LOL about the bat suit, they would probably just laugh at me. What about a fake owl? Would be cool if it had a motion sensor. All try to get a pic of the illegals.

Good ideas keep em coming.

Dave

Lowcountrydave
09-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Can you say ----> I M M I G R A T I O N <---

If I charged rent, I wouldn't have to work! I bought some screen from Lowes. I will be boxing up bats soon. Throwing them out on a wing, unless they fly away quietly!

Dave

jesseweaver
09-03-2008, 08:06 PM
easy fix. wrap little pebbles in tin foil then wait till one night when there flying. when they fly near you throw one of the tin foil stones up and they follow it right to the ground and smack the ground and knock themselves out.:macho

09-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
easy fix. wrap little pebbles in tin foil then wait till one night when there flying. when they fly near you throw one of the tin foil stones up and they follow it right to the ground and smack the ground and knock themselves out.:macho

rofl no way i dont believe till i see it

jesseweaver
09-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
rofl no way i dont believe till i see it

no lie dude go out some night and try it. gives you hours of fun. i can still see them just flying straight into the ground. lol funny stuff.

09-03-2008, 08:52 PM
i dont wanna hurt the little fella they do a lot of good.

Lowcountrydave
09-03-2008, 09:51 PM
When I was in middle school. YearrrrrrrrZ ago. We would tie fishing line between two mail boxes. In the middle attach a cotton ball. It looks like a moth, then you shake the string and it acts just like a moth fluttering around. The bats would try to grab it, too funny. We did this late at night, and on the same side of the road mail boxes.

Ahhh cheap fun times!!!!

Dave

trx310R#24
09-04-2008, 12:17 AM
well an air horn would **** with them. they cant see. so point the air horn in front of them an keep doing it lol it will end up flying into somthing