PDA

View Full Version : Help buying new ATV

Rastus
09-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi all, I'm looking into buying an ATV, and I don't rightly know the best place to start. If this is in the wrong section, please move it there. I used to follow the ATV scene, but in recent years had to sell my quad, college, started a family, and have a one year old son now. I need help choosing a quad that would best fit my style and needs, and since I don't know most of the new ATVs around I thought I would ask here. :)

First off, new or used. I would prefer a new one, because I have had bad experiences buying used in the past. Plus with new, I can get easier financing than directly through a bank and maybe some extras to go along.

I really like sport quads, but there have been soooo many times where I have needed a rack/racks to carry things that I will need some racks. Are there any quick utes that have racks, handle well, and don't weigh a ton? I don't like automatic shift, fourwheel drive would be nice, along with a winch and a hitch on it to hook a trailer/pull behind mower.

Brand doesn't totally matter to me, I have had Honda in the past and liked them, but it's not a main point for me.

Basically, if I could get a utility that had most of the ute things, but was still sporty that would be the quad for me. I remember the scrambler, but I don't like it b/c it was automatic (or atleast it was) If they don't make the quad I'm asking for, then maybe advise on some second options that I could look into.

Thanks for any input, I appreicate it.:)

redrider91
09-01-2008, 10:45 AM
sounds like u would want either the yamaha wolveriene or the can am renegade

rollie
09-01-2008, 11:00 AM
kawasaki brute force 700, its auto, but from what i heard, fasssst
wolverine will be to slow
The can-am renagades are sweet but not sure if they have racks?

250r rider 88
09-01-2008, 01:00 PM
isnt the brute force a 750 now?

i would say if you want something that has some get up and go with racks and is built well go with the Can-Am outlander 800R EFI

or if thats to big stay in that outlander family they are well built and for most utes they are decently sporty

jsut my .02

Pappy
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Rastus..great to see you getting back in teh game!

Hows your mom doing?

Rastus
09-01-2008, 01:27 PM
:) I'm glad to be getting back into the mix Pappy, just been to busy and have had to blow my money on other things lately. :p

My mom is doing pretty well, we're all pretty healthy and getting along just fine. How's everything on your end these days?

Well, the renegade seems to be one nice looking bike and fits what I'm looking for. Price is kinda high, but I guess you have to pay to play. :) I could live with the auto, it seems to be getting alot of good reviews. Bad part is, I don't see any rack options, but maybe there are some aftermarket options for that? :confused:

Pappy
09-01-2008, 01:42 PM
all is good over here:D

You might look at the kawi vforce as well and i believe the aftermarket can supply racking for most models

some of the 4x4 models themselves are pretty dang sporty as long as your not into hitting mx. most are capable of speeds that match sport quads...just remember the brakes dont stop you as well:scary:

Rastus
09-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, I have done alittle bit more searching, and the outlander looks like a nice fit too. Has anyone ridden both, and can maybe tell me if there is such a big difference in the suspension that I need to get the renegade?

I'm really looking at mostly 4x4s, if I'm going to spend that kinda money for a bike. :p

Rastus
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Well, I believe I've decided on the Renegade finally. I will have to wait until I can get back to work, this broken foot isn't helping me. First of next month, the doc is saying I can go back so I will re-post with pics when I DO finally get it. ;)

Here's me foot after a couple surgeries, after they put everything back in place and put the pins in. It was rather large right after, but the swelling and bruises are alot better in this pic. I'll make sure and put a disclaimer in the title.:p Could a Mod edit the main title for the pic? I know some are kinda squeamish, I can remove it if it is a problem.

Rastus
09-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I had a head on wreck heading to work, fell asleep at the wheel. It could have been a whole lot worse, I just mangled my foot pretty badly. Thank goodness for steel toe work boots. I'm just happy to be here and be here for my family and son, but I can't wait to get back on an ATV(or my street and trail bike) and ditch these crutches.

Thanks all for the help. :)

*edit- This is a pic of how the inside of my car ended up. :scary: