PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cdi box?

Snipe
08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Hello all yup im pretty new to the forum but not to forums in general.

I have bought a 2008 400ex about 7 months ago so far I have just done the full white brothers E series exhaust. I jetted it to match but now it hits the rev threw every gear when im running wide open.

I want to eventually go with a 440big bore kit and depending on what I want to end up doing maybe a stage 2 hot came. But for now im wanting to get this to run right for now.

I have been looking at CDI boxes (rev limiters) and im wanting to know what should be a good range to hit? I know there are 3 different kinds stage 1 around 750 rpm, stage 2 around 1000+rpm and stage 3 1200+ rpm. Im wanting to know if I can get by with the stage 2 or would the stage 3 be needed? I dont mind spending the money I just don't want to buy more than I need.

Right now all I do is trail rides and such, I have been talking to my cousin about ATV rodeos and such that is were the other mods will come in but for now I dont want to over power my quad so I can just hit the tree harder lmao.

Anyhelp on this is appreciated thank a million.

08-31-2008, 05:56 PM
+750 should be all you need. even built 400ex dont make that much power past the stock rev limiter at 9100rpm. The rev box I would do last. Spend you money else where and wait till you have a 440 to buy one.

Snipe
08-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Well thats just it not for sure if im going to it all depends if my cousin wants to get into radeo's with me. If not them in not gonna worry about adding a bunch of extra power im not gonna use in the woods its like why buy extra power when I cant use it lol.

This thing is hitting rev in all gears so im just wanting to make sure that thats all I need the 1000rpm+ is only $37 so I mean wouldnt it best to have to much than not enough? If it wont hit the rev limiter than wouldnt I have it right cause I dont want it hitting the rev everytime I take off lol.

I dont know what all I did other than that but its putting out alot more power at the ground than stock just with this over previos bikes I have owned. I just dont want to buy the wrong one and still have the same prob with it.

08-31-2008, 06:51 PM
if your hitting the rev limiter in every gear you need some lessons on shifting. you should shift before the rev limiter.

Snipe
08-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Dont start with that horse ****. The bike never hit the rev limiter before winding it out for perfect shift now its hitting it really fast. If you guys arent gonna be of help then dont reply to my post.

08-31-2008, 07:09 PM
i wasnt trying to be mean or sarcastic or anything. i'm sincere, you need to shift sooner. white brothers e-series and jetted isnt that much of a gain were you should be worried about every gear hitting the rev limiter faster and needing more RPM. It will have more power and get up there faster but you should use your gears more wisely and shift to the next gear rather than revving it high. theres no need to rev it high because thats not were all your power is.

k4f5x0r
08-31-2008, 07:25 PM
another thing is you might have eben hitting limiter before the exhaust. just on stock exhaust you dont hear it or its VERY hard to hear. with an exhaust its MUCH easier to hear.

odog
08-31-2008, 07:42 PM
just go up one tooth on your front sprocket. you will get more out of each gear then

drew416ex
08-31-2008, 09:31 PM
You dont think you really need a rev box. I agree with foxhondarider, if you are hitting the limiter, you should have shifted about 1500rpm sooner. It stops making power between 7000-8500 rpm. But that also goes along with what k4f5x0r said, you may have been hitting it before and just not noticed. The only advantage a rev box has is maybe adding a few more mph to your top speed, other than that youre not getting anything out of it. Ive tried several on mine, but im now back to stock because they didnt serve a purpose for me.

GPracer2500
09-01-2008, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Snipe
...I have just done the full white brothers E series exhaust. I jetted it to match but now it hits the rev threw every gear when im running wide open....

What's your jetting? Airbox lid on/off? Make sure you're not jetted too rich. Wrong jetting can causing a stutter that feels very similar to a rev limiter--but it comes on sooner.

I'm thinking that way because 1) it's hard for me to see an exhaust change alone suddenly reveling the stock rev limiter as an impediment to performance. And 2) I've certainly seen fat jetting make a decent impression of a rev limiter.

$0.02

Wheelie
09-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I've been running a Stg.2 AMR box for about 3 months now, and I'm tempted to put the stocker back on. Granted the box gave better throttle response and I did notice a few extra revs on top. However, I don't like the way it makes my quad start from time to time. Even with a Busa' battery it has a hard time kicking over every once in a while, it's also hard to start when it's warm sometimes as well.

Snipe, do yourself a favor, keep the stock CDI and adjust your riding style. I rarely hit the stock rev limiter with my stroker.

Snipe
09-01-2008, 09:55 AM
No with stock exhaust I never hit the rev limiter cause when you hit it not only do you hear it but you can feel it in your body as your still trying to go forward and the bike just kinda hits top speed and thats it lol. If anyone of you have ever hit the rev box you know what im saying on that.

Airbox is covered I didnt mod the intake so I didnt want to cram more air to it and where I ride I really dont think that would be the best idea for me to take the lid off.

I only went up 2 jet sizes I had the stock 148 in the main and I changed to a 152.

Other than adjusting the crab to idol a bit faster thats really all I did.

I will tell you when riding before when doing a hole shot on (gravel not dirt) it would throw a bit of rocks and dig in pretty quick. Well now it will just sit there and spin the tires lol.

I was thinking mabey redoin the sprockets might be the way to go. But im all about bottom end without sacrificing top end and either way I go on that im gonna loose one or the other.

09-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I was thinking mabey redoin the sprockets might be the way to go. But im all about bottom end without sacrificing top end and either way I go on that im gonna loose one or the other.

if your about bottom end you wouldnt be hitting the rev limiter you would be using the torque low down in the gears to pull you around.

REDRIDDER
09-01-2008, 10:13 AM
16 tooth sprocket is what your looking for,try it out go to Rockymontain.com and buy a $21 Renthal sprocket.

Hondamaster5505
09-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
16 tooth sprocket is what your looking for,try it out go to Rockymontain.com and buy a $21 Renthal sprocket.

Like everyone else said, learn to ride the 400ex or buy a 2-stroke. Simple as that.

You shouldn't be hitting the rev limiter in every gear like that.

justin1022
09-01-2008, 12:01 PM
ya.. maybe its his first quad?:confused:

Snipe
09-01-2008, 01:56 PM
I apreciat ya'lls help on this I think the sprocket will be the best way to go after thinking about it and some replies on here. But as I stated before it wouldnt hit the rev box before in any gear. One of the big things is I wasn't expecting that much of a gain in the power to hit th rev box now that was my problem with this upgrade just wasn't aticipating that much of a power gain for it to hit the rev box with the new exhaust cause it didnt before. I rhode it around town today and never touched the rev box.

And also like I stated before if you dont have helpfull info to place in a thread I post please just keep your condisending bull **** to yourself.

I didnt join a forum for ppl to put me down on how I ride or to say there bike is better or whatever. No this isnt my first quad though this is my first brand new quad that I have upgraded and no one els.

So again if your just gonna be condisending like

Like everyone else said, learn to ride the 400ex or buy a 2-stroke. Simple as that.

ya.. maybe its his first quad?

Then please just keep your mouth shut as I really dont want to here it. The whole point in a forum like this is to help ppl not to put ppl down its simple as that. Dont like my post's then stay out of the thread its not hard. If you cant keep it simple I will just delete my account and go somewhere els.

Hondamaster5505
09-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I apreciat ya'lls help on this I think the sprocket will be the best way to go after thinking about it and some replies on here. But as I stated before it wouldnt hit the rev box before in any gear. One of the big things is I wasn't expecting that much of a gain in the power to hit th rev box now that was my problem with this upgrade just wasn't aticipating that much of a power gain for it to hit the rev box with the new exhaust cause it didnt before. I rhode it around town today and never touched the rev box.

And also like I stated before if you dont have helpfull info to place in a thread I post please just keep your condisending bull **** to yourself.

I didnt join a forum for ppl to put me down on how I ride or to say there bike is better or whatever. No this isnt my first quad though this is my first brand new quad that I have upgraded and no one els.

So again if your just gonna be condisending like

Then please just keep your mouth shut as I really dont want to here it. The whole point in a forum like this is to help ppl not to put ppl down its simple as that. Dont like my post's then stay out of the thread its not hard. If you cant keep it simple I will just delete my account and go somewhere els.

I was providing help. You shouldnt be hitting the limiter. All a cdi will do if you ride like that will damage your engine because your running stock internals. Theres a reason the limiter is set there.

There are a lot of people on this forum that are kind of insulting, just like any forum. You just have to have a backbone and learn to just ignore them.

By the way, welcome to the forums:D