PDA

View Full Version : 1992 250X troubles........

BullySpeedFreak
12-08-2002, 01:40 PM
:o Today I recently purchased a used , and some what abused 1992 TRX250X off this kid I know. I did some negotiating from 1500 dollars to 600 dollars, YEs YEs it was a deal! but the quad was pretty hinky , when I first got it it wouldn't idel but run good. Now I pulled the carb off and cleaned out everything with my dad. Its all good everything working now we put it on and it won't start. Not even after about 150 kicks. 50 with choke , 50 with half choke and 50 with no shoke LOL! SO I am despret it is a very dramatic thing when a loved machine of ur's won't run, I have yet to check the spark plug because I left my tools in my shop at school. It is getting gas and I a hoping it is gettin spark , but what my question is how many turns out should I run the air screw? or would that make a diffrence? it was odd when riding at the kids house it would shut off and get flooded- I hope someone can help Me ! if u can I will appreciate o " most greatly.

danney f
12-08-2002, 04:36 PM
The air screw needs to be out about 2 - 2 and half turns. My buddy had the same problem with his and it was the float sticking. Your plug may be fouled. So check your plug first when you get your tools.

BullySpeedFreak
12-08-2002, 07:09 PM
Thanks man I will try that tommarow my next question is , is my swingarm has cracked and has been JB welded back together lie were teh sprocket and brake rotor is
, should I weld it nice or buy a new swingarm of ebay?

2fastandfurious
12-08-2002, 07:56 PM
Wow, well now you know it has been jumped by the previos owner at hieghts that are too high! Or he did'nt land right. Where did it crack? Buy a good one off ebay. Sell the old one on ebay and get what you can. I sold my stock exhaust pipe and paid like 40 bucks for a aftermarket one. 250x's Rock. Let me know if you want the best mod for the buck. I have wasted and gained alot! : )
-Ben

BullySpeedFreak
12-08-2002, 08:36 PM
I am lookin for a nice cheap chrome exhaust because the stocker is rusted out I want a pipe I wouldn;t have to re jet for because my carb is already on its way out. Can u get me those manual pages soon , i wanna get riding this beast in the snow. Haha what the best tire setup for um for the winter?
and is it worth it when getting teh new swingarm to get new bearings too?

and hey do all 250X chains drag on aftermarket skid plates?

and are all of them a pain to start?

honda250xrider
12-08-2002, 08:42 PM
my chain drags a lil on the skid plate but i got the plastic stuff so it doesnt scratch up the metal. and also it might be your spark plug if not starting, not tryin to be dumb but make sure your on and off switch is on, then test the wires going to the cdi etc, and if all that clears and it isnt the spark plug then its probly the stater.

2fastandfurious
12-08-2002, 08:45 PM
LOL! And guess how much those are! $466! Ouch!
Saw the 350 rancher gps today. NICE! Like a caddy!
-Ben

nastynotchback1
12-08-2002, 08:57 PM
i would buy another swingarm off of ebay but don't screw some one else with that broken one you have.

BullySpeedFreak
12-09-2002, 01:15 PM
true true I will burry taht swingarm with the rst off broken parts haha, tahnks for all ur info , I am trying to take taht god dam spark plug off but the socket I have doesn;t fit into teh lielk area anybody reccomend a special size or wrench I can use to get this mystery plug off haha

2fastandfurious
12-09-2002, 02:26 PM
BUMP
-I have this trouble too! Help us!
-Ben

BullySpeedFreak
12-09-2002, 04:10 PM
the size must be a 17 1/2 size haha , I get it off using a 17 by leaning it to one side and its snug it works pretty good!

2fastandfurious
12-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Ya, Honda sells a custom tool. I'm not giving up 15 bucks though. Exlplain again:huh :huh i dont get it!
-ben

F-16Guy
12-09-2002, 08:41 PM
You're going to have to grind the outside wall of a thin-wall socket because Honda, in their infinite wisdom, only left enough clearance for that crappy plug wrench that comes with the bike (it's a thin piece of stamped steel)!

F-16Guy
12-09-2002, 08:45 PM
BTW, it's like a 5/8" or 11/16" or something. Sorry I don't have the exact size, but I know it's a smaller plug (smaller than a 13/16").

2fastandfurious
12-09-2002, 08:48 PM
hey bully do you have pics of your quad?
-Ben

BullySpeedFreak
12-10-2002, 12:34 PM
yea I am goann go take some and put um on , I am telling you know for 600 dolalrs it was a deal haha!

BlazingYamahaYz
12-10-2002, 03:33 PM
i know what it feels like to have something not start...i had this happen to me for 5 months(i rode maybe 10x for about an hour in the summer and then i couldnt get it to run at all)....most, well no, all of the problems were caused by a dealer who knew nothing at all....i had to buy new engine gaskets, new piston and rings, power valve parts, kill switch....check electrical to see if anything is shorted too....

HotRod2Fitty
12-10-2002, 03:46 PM
I know exactly what your going throught too. When we bought my X for 1100 bucks, there was a real bad wrapping noise in the motor. Well i thought it was the valves so i adjusted them. Wow did that make a difference. So there i was i adjusted the valves and the noise still didnt go away. Well when rebuild time came we found out that the left cam bearing was cracked and was just in there flopping around. The mechanic said when he split the case that ball bearings just kept falling out.LOL
Once we got everything in working order its been a fun reliable quad to this day. I found out the More i put into it, the more I get out of it. Just thought ud like to hear my 250x story, because i went through the same things you did.

Matt

BullySpeedFreak
12-10-2002, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all ur love but I got in running today , and it is running alot better then i thought it would! I had to take apart teh carb and relized that this is a pumper so the air has to be right on or else it don;t wnana idel , still needs ome tuning! but thanks so much , and teh valves are quite as my moms lexus exhuast , but thank u all for helping me now I will put about 3oo dolalrs into and be one my way to sell it for about 1500 bucks , it strats first kick now its mint!

toby400ex
12-10-2002, 04:16 PM
thats nothing, when i bought a 96 300ex for 2500, the next day i took it riding and found out after about an hour that the front sprocket had been welded on, the weld cracked and the chain jumped and put i big ol hole in the cas and the metal bits from the hole ruined the tranny. But the guy i bought it from took it back because he knew it was his bad.

BullySpeedFreak
12-10-2002, 07:14 PM
heres one of the side

BullySpeedFreak
12-10-2002, 07:19 PM
Here are some pics! of teh 600 dollar wonder X