PDA

View Full Version : motor not running right

quadhunter
08-31-2008, 03:44 PM
I have a 87 250 r and I just cant get it to run right. here is some background on the machine, I bought it when it wasnt running, I discovered it had a bad crank bearing and that caused the flywheel to rub on stator. I replaced the bearing and stator and all other electrical components. then i had the cylinder resized for a new piston, wasnt running right, hole in piston, i thought mabey it was just running lean bought a bigger carb have multiple jets put in big jet because i want to start rich less likley to blow it up that way i think, wasnt running right blew it up( ya i know dont laugh at me to hard) now I have put back on the stock carb, and a cool head and i just dosnt run right, it idles fine and you can rev the heck out of it in nuetral but as soon as you put a load against it it just spits and spudders and runs really rough. i have also tried 3 different reed systems. i would take any advise at this point, bought this thing 2 years ago and it still dosnt run right i just want to ride.

86 Quad R
08-31-2008, 06:40 PM
at any point have you performed a leak down test on the engine?

quadhunter
08-31-2008, 08:16 PM
no i havnt done that because i dont have the stuff but i guess as much money as i have thrown into this thing i should get one.

trx250rider
08-31-2008, 08:40 PM
just curious.what is a leak down test.how do you do it...i also have an 87 and i had the same problem...i messed with the carb a lot experimenting with different jets...after a few trys i got it running perfect.i havent had a problem with it since..

smr2
08-31-2008, 10:21 PM
sounds like a leaking crank seal. Mine was doing the same thing. Pulled the stator cover off and it was full of oil.

quadhunter
09-01-2008, 08:10 PM
I have had the stator cover off many times and it is always dry in there. I guess I can keep playing with the jetting and see. thank you for the input.