PDA

View Full Version : LT80 runs, dies, runs, dies, runs, dies...

316hepster
08-31-2008, 08:09 AM
We have a 2001 LT80 that I just replaced the top end in. When I put it back together, it started right up, I rode it around the yard and put it away. When I went back to it today, gas had been draining out of the exhaust pipe. Whenever it turned over, it would spew a lot of gas, maybe a quart or so, out the pipe. It finally started, and would run awesomely for about 5 minutes than cut off. Jump start it a few miniutes later, it runs great than dies... over and over.
I may have hooked the petcock hoses back up wrong when I put the tank back on and that may be causing the problem. Does anybody have a picture of that setup? I know one has a spring and one doesn't. I'm not even sure the spring is on the correct hose, so just saying the one with the spring goes in the front really won't help. I really need little more clarification.

Other than that, I'm stumped??

Any help would be appreciated.

TRX450RACER174
09-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Did you leave the petcock on prime instead of on? if you leave it on prime fuel will flow and fill up the cylinder thus why you have gas running out of the exhaust, put the petcock in the on position and change the plug u should be good to go after that.

316hepster
09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I probably did leave the petcock on prime. I'm not really sure that I have the hoses hooked up to the correct outlet though. If anyone could post a pic of the right side where the hoses attach to the petcock and carb, I would sure appreciate it.

Would a bad spark plug cause the quad to run for a while then cut out, run for a while then cut out, run for a while...?

TRX450RACER174
09-02-2008, 06:27 PM
I'm not at home right now i'm at work and don't have my pics, but you only have the feed line going from the petcock to the carb and the vaccum line going from the petcock to the front or bottom of the carb for vaccum, is it loading up and will die or does it idle then die and start right back up give me a little more info on when it dies.

316hepster
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
It runs flawlessly for about 5 minutes than acts as though it cannot get gas. By the time I push it back to the truck to jump start it, it cranks right up again.

LT80
09-03-2008, 06:43 AM
On the petcock, the outside hiose is the fuel supply. The inner goes to the vacum hole which is the hole closest to the motor.
On is off till the motor turns and makes vacum

Yor carb needs cleaned. Remove both jets and the float needle seat and clean well.

316hepster
09-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll get clean the carb and see what happens.