PDA

View Full Version : CR250 Flywheel vs TRX flywheel

250Renvy
08-30-2008, 10:40 PM
So by adding a CR250 ignition you lose a lot of flywheel weight.

For MX I'm sure that's good, but isn't it better to have a heavier flywheel for XC?

1. Anybody know what the difference in weight between the two are?

2. What would be a good weight for XC and trails?

Heavier flywheels go from +8 to +14 oz.

mxduner
08-31-2008, 02:18 AM
I cant give specifics as far as weights, however adding weight smooths out the hit of the powerband and thus giving added control in wheel spin cause it slows the time it takes to rev out

I haven't ran xc before, but imagining the tree and logs you gotta get over i would think the quick reving of the reduced mass would be nice and the steep approaches too. that will come with a price, more fatiguing, forgive me if i'm wrong about xc, i do think adding flywheel weight is all preference to each rider

mxduner
08-31-2008, 02:23 AM
also i want to add, as far as the cr ignition, perhaps the lighter flywheel that will give you a quicker rev, just might make it 'feel' faster.

I havn't expierienced the ignition before, don't get me wrong I'm sure it kicks a s s, as everyone claims, just thought i would give my .02 cents.... idk:confused:

88 250r
08-31-2008, 11:30 AM
i have a cr ignition with my 310 and i ride alot of trails i love it but you do have to keep the revs up alittle hiher when riding slow but who rides slow

08-31-2008, 01:35 PM
lighter flywheel deffinately makes more power an has more snap to it. a heavier flywheel makes it harder to stall. So for xc i would deffinately say a heavier flywheel is better

atvmxr
09-01-2008, 10:26 AM
i think your going to have to experiment with this one on what you prefer. Id say a light flywheel to get up on the power quicker for logs and hills, but other will say heavier for less stalling in tight turns.

All250R
09-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Just fyi, the diameter of the flywheel is more important than raw weight on a scale. Weight further from the center of rotation takes (and stores) more energy to rotate it. When you lighten a flywheel the effects are not just because you reduced the weight, but because you narrowed the center of mass.

Also, energy is energy. If you put a lot into the flywheel on startup it is going to produce less to the drivetrain at that time. When it's already rotating it "adds" energy back to the crankshaft in off throttle conditions. In that way it's kind of like an energy bank account that is added to and then withdrawn later. Lightening or making it heavier doesn't add or remove hp, just how the hp is delivered.

250Renvy
09-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Does anybody know the difference in weight between the two. If anything I think I would just add the weight to get it to act like the TRX.

I guess it's kind of a mixed blessing because it revs quicker but also tires you out quicker.

All250R
09-03-2008, 02:27 PM
If you look at the formula in wikipedia regarding rotational energy you can see that the angular velocity "weighs" more (squared) into the energy product than mass (E=1/2IWsq). rotational energy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_energy)

My suggestion is if you're worried about losing stored energy in the flywheel, just use the stock flywheel and cut it. You don't get the CR CDI, or maybe it's possible to splice it in (?). Compared to the TRX flywheel the CR version is way more meant for rapid rpm acceleration (and deceleration). To add weight to seems like putting your eggs in the wrong basket to me. Just an opinion.

By the way, I'm looking for a CR ignition. If you want to sell it, keep me in mind. I think we did a deal on a ESR pipe once ya?

Anyway.
J

2muchquad
09-03-2008, 07:27 PM
The cr ignition is a win win for me.Its revs right now and as far as losing tractability goes,its not a issue.it may wanty to stall a bit more until you get used to it but its nice.The snap works great for hills right out of a turn with little run at them.;)

cdrookie
09-05-2008, 05:29 AM
i put a 13oz flywheel weight on my cr flywheel and there isn't much difference.