PDA

View Full Version : Honda to Kaw???

CRE Performance
08-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Has anybody on here swapped from the Honda 450R to a KFX450? Im parting out my 05 TRX, and Im having a real tough time deciding whether to keep all my suspension, A-arms, pipe, wheels and tire and buying an 08 TRX, or going to a KFX.

One of the main reason im choosing to go with a KFX is to get away from the common frame cracking on the Honda, and I always rode team green since I was on 3 wheels back in the mid 80's.

How was the power in comparison?
How was the handing in comparison?
How well did it do in the air?
Any problems mechanically thus far?

Any input is appreciated, I just want a real testimate...not a magazine or biased opinion.

Thanks!

Pappy
08-30-2008, 09:48 PM
IMO, there isnt enough of an advantage (if any actually exists) that would make me tell anyone to ditch the parts they have just to get the KFX.

The Honda frame can be gusseted, and with proper suspension, breaking frames shouldnt be an issue.

The KFX aluminum chassis is a work of art, but it to can break and isnt so easily repaired!

justin1022
08-30-2008, 10:32 PM
honda i dont no how you ever managed to crack a frame though. there is only one of my freinds that did that and it was from a big wreak. and my other freind hit every jump that the other one did that crashed and never broke a frame. on my ex thoguh i did lol i dont even no how i just found it like yesterday.

CRE Performance
08-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Well, a couple of things have contributed to the frame cracking. #1- Im 6'0, and 205 lbs. #2 - I have over 120 MX races on this stock frame, not counting practice. #3 - The track design has gone to crap around here. At every track, there is at least 1 40-50 footer that you have to clip the back wheels or flat land due to either no landing face or an extremely steep landing face, not to mention the 100 foot tables, 80 ft doubles, and other crazy crap theyve built for the Pro bike riders to quit complaining about.

Pappy, thats dead on about the parts thing......and I doubt there will be any other advantage except for Im riding XC now and the FI and Reverse may come in handy.

justin1022
08-30-2008, 10:45 PM
oh you never said anything about xc at least i dont think. if thats the case i would most def go with the kawi or ltr just because of efi and reverse(minues on the ltr)

CRE Performance
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Also, one other thing to stand in the decision.....The Kawi is over $7200, so is the LTR. I live 40 miles form the worlds largest volume Honda dealer and I can pick up 07's right now for less than $5400 out the door, and I can get an 08 for that price in another month or two.

justin1022
08-30-2008, 10:58 PM
i no what your saying.. because for the amount more you wuold need to buy the kawi you could probly put into the honda and make it better then the kawi. and then add ontop you said you had suspension and a-arms. now that you mention that i would most defently go with the honda. if you sunk 500 bucks into a edalbrok and a few other ods and ends it should out performe the kawi like nothing. and plus pappy said the frames are easier to break when broke on the hondas. in the end its your choice im jsut trying to help you out but i would pick a honda up if i coudl get it that cheap.

08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by CRE Performance
Also, one other thing to stand in the decision.....The Kawi is over $7200, so is the LTR. I live 40 miles form the worlds largest volume Honda dealer and I can pick up 07's right now for less than $5400 out the door, and I can get an 08 for that price in another month or two.

southern honda?

CRE Performance
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, southern.

justin1022
08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
you guys are lucky! a trx450r 2008 hear is 8700 a 2007 is 7700 and a kfx is 9000 a ltr is 8300 and a yfz is 8100 lol

08-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by CRE Performance
Yeah, southern.

that place is amazing. i have yet to find any other dealer that compares

quad2xtreme
08-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
honda i dont no how you ever managed to crack a frame though. there is only one of my freinds that did that and it was from a big wreak. and my other freind hit every jump that the other one did that crashed and never broke a frame. on my ex thoguh i did lol i dont even no how i just found it like yesterday.

Go to the BK Performance section and look at my frame pics.

Pappy is correct though, the frame problem can be fixed. He put an LSR kit on mine and I've been pounding on it. It is a badarse kit and Pappy did an awesome job putting it on. I should have taken some time to post some pics of the frame but I was in a hurry. :D

I believe broken bolts on the subframe will be a thing of the past too with the LSR kit. You have an extra piece of steel welded to the frame so now it is bolt, bracket, subframe, bracket. The subframe now rests in the middle of two supports on each side.