PDA

View Full Version : Anyone rewire their brakelight?

2old2race
08-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Has anyone rewired the brake light to be always on?
I would like the light to be always on that way it is a lot easier to spot my son when he is riding in the woods.

Also, does anyone make skid plates for the 90? He already thrashed the tubular skid plate under the swingarm.

Thanks!

BradLoomis
08-30-2008, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't disconnect the brake light because of safety reasons. Especially if you are riding in the woods, limited sight distance.

Go to you local auto parts store and just but a clamp on 12 VDC light and clamp it to his grab bar. That way you could get and amber or marine style green light, that is different than the red brake light. Wire it into the ignition or just to a toggle switch if you like.

As for skid plates, either go to your local plastic store and get a piece of 1/8" - 3/16" UHMW and cut out a skid plate with your jigsaw or contact Todd Petchnic (http://pittraffic.com/thepit/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=99) and he can get you one from Dead Bat Skidplates.

jetta75
08-31-2008, 12:39 AM
The weekend before our first trip out of the yard I widened the skid, welded in skid strips, and cut the mounts off and raised it up about an inch. I knew it was junk right away when I saw how it was mounted. It looks like a stock blaster,banshee,warrior skid. I can snap a couple pics of it.

sparks1032
09-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Still begs the question has anyone re-wired the brake light to be always on then brighter when you brake?

2old2race
09-27-2008, 05:50 AM
Yes, his skid plate has been ripped off twice now! It is just a couple of tubes hanging by the bolts. Being not much of a machinist, I will keep my fingers crossed nothing happens until someone makes one.
I need to rewire his brakelight ASAP. It has gotten to the point that when we enter thick wooded areas, he moreless disappears. Once he brakes- there he is! Any other time, with the dust flying- he's gone. i understand the liabilty of saying a quad can be ridden at night by not having <headlights/taillights> but this is ridiculous! His Eton had 2 seperate taillights and my ex has 1. I'm going to mess around today and see if I can just cut the wire and run one staright to the <daytime running lights>.

Besides a brakelight? IMO, one should not even need a brakelight if you have proper spacing in front of you. ?????
My ex does not have a brakelight and have never had a complaing or concern. when the guy in front of me slows down= so do I. lol

jetta75
09-27-2008, 10:08 AM
On the brake switch for either f/r perch find the connector. I can't remeber if you can see it or its under the hood. Depending on wether the switch is normally open/closed you can just unhook the connector or unhook and jump the connector on the wiring harness. I would check the socket after riding for awhile to see if it is getting gummy or seems like it will melt. If it has you may need to get a higher wattage bulb so it dosen't burn as bright/hot.