PDA

View Full Version : hlp me explain thsi.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok look I have been trying to explain this to my friend... The advance timing key.. And hes like no way it wont do crap all.. And he knows a lil.. Just not enough 2 understand that. Now I would also like 2 hear some facts about this. And your oppinions. It would also be awsome if some one dynoed this and had some stats.. what the gain is and all.. ty

Or even a good way 2 explain this 2 my friend. lol

blankenship
08-30-2008, 11:53 AM
it would not be worth it to dyno after just a spark timing key you will se a little bit of gaid but all your doing is advancing the timing. it will make the bike run a little hotter but yet again prolly not enought to notice def worth the 20 $$

08-30-2008, 12:36 PM
do you want to explain it technical as why it makes more power and acts the way it does or do you want the it will stand the front end up with me sitting on the tank explanation?

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 12:44 PM
lol Just make it so that an a-tard can understand why it will give power.. Cuz im trying 2 explain it and hes like its a rip off! It wont do crap all.. Wel I guess almost both ways would be good lmao.

And your oppinion would also be good.. Like what diffrences you can feel in the ex.. Like I dont even know how much of a diff it will make.. ty

08-30-2008, 01:19 PM
The curtis sparks advanced timing key advances the ignition and makes the spark occur 6 degrees sooner. stock the explosion occurs while the piston i already well on its way down losing its force so this making it spark sooner makes the explosion to occur just past top dead center and you get the most power because the explosion has more force and farther to push the piston down. So the quad revs quicker and has quite a bit more throtte response and some HP and torque as well.

My 1st time trying it I was riding it around the yard, I didnt know what to expect and how it would run. All I knew so far was that my quad started easier and idled better. So I go to 2nd gear around the house just maintaning my speed I slam the gas on the side of the house and the front wheels came right up. No seat bounce, no clutch work. I sat foward more so i was on the edge of the seat where the plastic was, again i was rolling steady in 2nd just nailed the gas and it went up. I was very pleased because before it would normally take a seat bounce atleast to get it up like that. So I took it to a really long straight paved road thats a dead end with nothing around to try out the gears. Before installing it I couldnt keep a wheelie in 3rd gear from a steady speed in 3rd to full throttle, the front would hardly come up. That was my 1st test, I slowly went to 3rd gear and kept a steady speed nailed the gas my front came up and I could keep it up there much longer, it wasnt a hover like before it wheelied. Now for a top speed banging gears run. I wanted to see how every gear reacted. 1st gear wheelie, 2nd gear I had to let off because my grab bar almost touched the ground, I set it down 3rd gear wheelie, 4th gear it felt like the front wheels wanted to come up, and 5th gear I revved it out with ease rather than it taking forever to get to the rev limiter in 5th. Deffinately a great mod and well worth the money. For the size and price it does a lot. I mean my other mods contributed to the power but the timing advance made the difference where I said wow.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 01:54 PM
TY SO MUCH! Seriously that was the bets reply I have ever gotten. My friend better understand now, how it works and that its not a rip off. Also just by hearing this.. It will make me much more confident with my future purchase. Thought I can wheely in 3rd gear like nothing as it is. So im sure it will wheely in 4th or 5th with less effort. So it hlps a crap load on top speed?

Again ty so verry much awsome reply!

08-30-2008, 02:08 PM
top speed will always be the same unless you change the rev limiter, it just helps the quad get there faster to the rev limiter

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 02:13 PM
mhm takes me for ever 2 hit the rev limiter on 5th :-s.. Like a long frigen time! lol How long did it normaly take you? b4 the key? I wonder if my throttle cable is not tight enough.. I read in a post that a guy ran his bike 3/4 throttle for a year lol.. wonder what is stoping me....

08-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
mhm takes me for ever 2 hit the rev limiter on 5th :-s.. Like a long frigen time! lol How long did it normaly take you? b4 the key? I wonder if my throttle cable is not tight enough.. I read in a post that a guy ran his bike 3/4 throttle for a year lol.. wonder what is stoping me....

i'm that guy lol i opened it up and rejetted and it ran even better and had more topend power of course because i was taking in more air and fuel

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 02:22 PM
ROFL! funny stuf. Well I have a full system yosh pipe air box lid has tones of holes in it.. like 50-60 holes 1/4'' each. Then it still has stock air filter im getting a k&n tomorow along with a dyno jet kit... So was ur throttle cable not tight enough or did you juts jet and yeh... Whats ur top speed cuz as it is I hit 110km/h on my gps and I dont think I was that close the the rev limiter. whats ur top speed at the rev limiter? ty

08-30-2008, 02:33 PM
110km/h i believe is like 68mph? I have not tested mine at the rev limiter. I know I have a gearing calculator that says they should hit about 75mph I think thats about 120km/h? Whether or not they can go that fast I havent tested. I was always told the top speed was 72mph

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Yup 68mph is 110kmph. 75mph is 120kmph. So on the rev limiter it hits 75 your saying? Thats pretty sweet lol :D. So what did you end up doing? Like with ur throttle problem. Was it actualy running a 3/4 throttle or did it just feel like it was running that way? If you did tighten it, where did it come loose? lol ty.

08-30-2008, 02:54 PM
i'm not sure if it will go 75mph thats what this gearing calculator is saying. The slide in my carb was only going up 3/4 of the way so it was at full throttle on the thumb throttle but only going 3/4 throttle so it was restricted. I had to adjust it at at the thumb throttle housing just loosen the one screw and twist the cable in or out and keep checking the slide in the carb to see where it is. Since I wasnt aware of it only going 3/4 throttle i never thought wow this feels sluggish but i investigated after drag racng my brother on the road and his had way more topend and it went to the rev limiter rather than just hanging before it.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 03:02 PM
The same thing must be happening 2 me.. Cuz I have never hit the rev limiter in 5th gear.. Even in 4th it takes a while. Like I can hear that its realy close 2 hitting it. Ill for sure look into that.. Hehe then ill re race my friend suz lt-z 400. I smoked him low end but then top end he cought up... :(. Do you have msn cuz im sure it would be much faster on msn.. So what is your set up right now?

08-30-2008, 03:05 PM
i dont remember my MSN account info sorry. I have AIM though. and the things I have done are below my post

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Whats stock jets? I dont remember. Then does it actauly hlp 2 take out the choke? And how would you start it in the winter?
O well this is faste enough I guess lol. ty

08-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Stock are 148 main and 38 pilot keihin jets. the choke mod is explained in this good write up. You put in a bigger pilot jet so you dont need the choke when its cold.

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/choke400ex.html

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Awsome. ty for the link. Ill take a look at it for sure. And realy good convo. Have a good one.

Ruby Soho
08-30-2008, 03:55 PM
why bother hitting the limiter?

the 400ex doesn't make anymore power after about 6k RPM. your gonna waste your engine if you bounce on your limiter in 5th gear.

adding an after market limiter will not increase your top speed. half of them don't do a thing, and some of them give you maybe 1k more rpm which again is pointless on the EX.

the key is a nice upgrade on a stock bore engine, with no internal upgrades. but on a big bore, its no use because the benefit of it isn't to noticable with everything else upgraded, it just makes it run hotter than it already should be.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 04:01 PM
I dont bounce off the limiter. Its just that I see some bouncing off the limiter when I have more mods.. And im not doing the same.. Rathe weird dont you finde. Then what do you mean? To boar it is pointless? But putting like a cam and stuf is worth it?Becaus I am planning on putting a stg 2 hc 11:1 wisco piston and perhaps a new rev box. Is this what you call worth it? And no boar with that. Im only going 2 do this when I need 2 change my rings.. I figure if I have 2 open up my engin ill do a bunch. Peace

Ruby Soho
08-30-2008, 04:05 PM
first off, i can barely understand what your saying.

second, it is worth it to bore in some cases, but the key isn't worth installing with a big bore.

you can build a mild EX, or a monster EX, it depends on your financial situation for it.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Sry for the bad spelling. I was rushing like mad. Any who, I dont understand what you are saying about boaring it out..

There is no way im going 2 ride the limiter.. Its just if I see some ones 400ex hitting the limiter with less mods then I have hitting the limiter.. Thats when I start asking questions..

Then I do alot of bush and hydro riding.. or w/e Im not always full pin. I just want 2 keep my 400 a 400 and put mods such as a cam 11:1 wisco piston, advance timing key, monster coil, air scoops, and couple other things.

Like I said at the start I dont understand what you are saying.. "the trick is.." What do you consider as internal upgrades. Becaus the only time I will boar my engin is if I dont change the rings and its so scratched up that yeh... So this should not add extra heat. The only thing that will add heat is the coil and het advance timing key.

And plz dont comment on my grammer. I alredy understand that its realy bad. lol

08-30-2008, 04:17 PM
there might be conflict with the key and a 11:1 piston. you may need to run a mix of racegas to prevent detonation.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I have talked 2 a couple ppl that have the same and they are just fine running supreem. They said that they consider 12.5:1 and up high comp. So I should be safe with 11:1. Ty thought. I hope there not worng. If you see any diff plz tell me. Peace

Ruby Soho
08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
ok here.

11:1 is a safe compression to run, good gain, not the best. 12.5:1 is a much better gain but you WILL need to run race gas, and you WILL need a HD rod. you choose.

putting in an 11:1CP piston and a cam will be a nice gain, but take my advice and instead of a coil and key, get a 450r carb, you will notice much better benefits from it.

now if it were up to me, i would bore it. make it a 416, 11:1 compression, stage 2 hotcam, 450r carb, HD studs, CRF450 cam chain, port and polish and an exhaust. that would set you up nicely.

bigredisb
08-30-2008, 05:25 PM
So I have a dumb question. Can you run pump 93 octane with stock compression and the 6 degree key below 3000ft with no detonation?? I havent advanced timing on a quad but on many truck engines and it required higher octane gas to keep the detonation to a minimum.

08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
6 degree advance is fine on 93 octane. 10:1 piston and the key is supposedly fine with the key and 93. 11:1 piston and the key require race gas. On cars and trucks it depends on how much you advance the timing.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 06:01 PM
WOW wow wow, why would I need a HD rod? Like a hd crank u mean? Or is this if I get the 12.5:1? And I will get heavy duty head studs.. Like for the 11:1. Just 2 be safe.

Yeh a while back I was thinking about getting a 450r carb but getting a 41mm is just to much... So I hear. Most ppl were telling me that I would need a big boar or simply not stock boar. Mhmm.. I bet it would run realy good if I got the monster coil with the 450r carb. It would probably eat up that excess gas.. And I might do that later on once I have the cam and the piston. Then the last mod I would do would be 2 get a p&p job. Now that would be awsome with the carb.

Now im still not to sure on your deffiniton of internal upgrades.. Like is this a good build? Just wondering cuz I want 2 get the best out of my money, and not have things work vs each other.. If you know what I mean.

Well ty verry much.

Ruby Soho
08-30-2008, 07:39 PM
with 12.5:1 compression you will need a HD rod. the stock one can take it but not under heavy load

the 04/05 450r carb is probly one of the best upgrades to do, just do it.

monkeyballs
08-30-2008, 09:07 PM
04/05 is a no no. I want an frc carb. So 06 and up. So can the stock crank take 11:1?

Ruby Soho
08-31-2008, 07:10 AM
you will get much better gains off the 04/05, and youll have tons of trouble getting the 06+ to work. i think maybe 1 guy got it just close to right, but not perfect.

monkeyballs
08-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh I did not know.. Why is it so hard?