PDA

View Full Version : exaust crack.

justin1022
08-29-2008, 04:46 PM
wile i was removing my stock exaust to put my hmf on i noticed the end of the header was quite wobbly so i mounted the hmf on and took my heat sheld of the header to see wtf. and sure enough there is this big crack just about right around one of the headers holes right under the heat sheild. my quad is a 440 12.5:1 and i no your supost to put a aftermarket exaust on but i was running it with out the exaust for a month so i am wondering if that might of caused the crack? and it also has hot cams stage 2 hd timeing chain a aftermarket cdi and a k&n filter. and now a hmf.

and also what is a easy way to fix this crack?

thanks in advance.

tri5ron
08-29-2008, 06:39 PM
it's kind of the obvious, but...
Weld, grind it,weld again if necessary,..... and while your at it,

grind the I.D. welds down some so you wont get so much heat right at the head.
I cant imagine why a 440 would still have a stock header?
but What ever...

a 440 with a stock header pipe, is sort of like a Blown 454, with a single exhaust pipe. (kind of pointless)

save your money for a matching headpipe, to go with your muffler.

ride hard, ride safe.

justin1022
08-29-2008, 07:28 PM
well i got a aftermarket header but i just never put it on its a dg. from my old dg pipe. i think its junk i no the can is. and yea i thought i would have to weld it up. i wasnt so sure though what about heat tape? i herd of some people doing that.

boosted3g
08-29-2008, 08:36 PM
Heat tape will make it worse especially on a stainless header.

rideracelivemx7
08-30-2008, 12:53 PM
lol what are you running 3 turbos or something? no , you cant blow a header expecially on a 440. and fyi a stock header flows quit nice to the point were its almost not worth upgreading the head. of course a aftermarket will flow better but i didnt think it was necesary. get a mig welder and spot weld it, grind and repeat process untill it looks nice. i per\sonally like mig welders much more than a standard arc.

justin1022
08-30-2008, 03:35 PM
ok i will do somthing about it.. we got a welder but i am not sure what kind it is. ill have to ask dad we use ot on tractors and heavy machinory.

HondaRaceReady
08-30-2008, 04:30 PM
An aftermarket header is definately needed for a 440ex to breathe. The stock header was made for a 397cc engine. Think how much more exhaust the 440 will make. When you rejetted to put more fuel into the head its going to make more exhaust.

justin1022
08-30-2008, 04:38 PM
ok well i have a dg oen but its to short to reach to my hmf.. i tryed it before. so i dont no i guess ill have to buy one.

250x_kyle
08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
you probably have a stick welder for heavy equipment. any joe blow can learn how to mig. its easy and quick. personaly it it was me i would just tig weld a bead back the header. thats what i did with mine. its nice and flat when done right and not much of a contour at all barley any griding or none at all.