PDA

View Full Version : lt250r

bonds0033
08-28-2008, 08:34 PM
I am about to rebuild my lt and was curious to what kinds of oils i should use in it?? ....... any suggestions

ccdhowell
08-28-2008, 08:55 PM
Do you mean in the premix or the transmission?

Premix: any good brand Such as Bel-Ray, Maxima, yamalube, Golden Spectro, Klotz, something like that mixed at 32:1 or 40:1. I own a LT250R and I stay away from Castor oil because it burns dirtier than the new synthetics and the engine has a power valve that I want to stay clean. I'm sure others would disagree with me on this point.

Transmission: I am currently using Castrol MTX synthetic 2stroke trans oil. I have used a similar product from Bel-Ray called Gear Saver. Again, lots of opinions on this one too. In reality you can use use any 4stroke motorcycle engine oil in the transmission. I have read of people using regular automotive gear oil in a 2stroke transmission but I do not encourage that as it is not approved for use with a wet clutch. If you put the wrong trans oil in the clutch could slip, the clutch may be grabby and shifting can have a bad feel.

Try several different products for engine and transmission and see what suites you and your Qracer.

bonds0033
09-10-2008, 06:43 PM
I read somewhere that gear oil could be the way to go in the transmission. So would mobil 1 75w90 gear oil a good idea??

And for my premix would a fully synthetic be a good idea??

sorry for all the dumb questions but it's been years since I had a two stroke

ccdhowell
09-10-2008, 08:01 PM
No on the Mobil One gear oil. If you like Mobil One, then buy some Racing 4T 10w40 and put that in your transmission. It is made for gears and the wet clutch. The gear oil won't work well with the wet clutch.

Yes on the synthetic premix oil. There are lots of brands out there, I'd say if you buy a synthetic premix oil at a cycle shop then it would probably be a good brand. If you bought it at a hardware store, auto parts store, or any place like that then I may not be the best type of premix to use in your LT250R.

Chris

bonds0033
09-11-2008, 06:32 AM
thanks for all the help ...... now I got everything in line I just have to rebuild it and then I'll post some pics of it ..... thanx again

bonds0033
10-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey guys just about have the R done ..... How much oil does the engine take?? ....... just above the oil add hole it says 900 mL but is that really all it takes??

LTandRaptorider
10-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, that is all the oil it really takes. Since the engine is a 2-stroke, the oil is for the tranny only.

fastrnrik
10-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I use Amsoil Dominator for pre-mix and Belray Gear Saver in the tranny for my 2 stokes. Never had a problem.

bonds0033
10-21-2008, 01:03 PM
hey guys got the R back together and rode it a few times but I was riding it and it just quick .... Turns out I don't have any spark ...got a new plug and didnt help .... wondering if there are any problems that they are notorious for or where i should start to figure this out

LTandRaptorider
10-21-2008, 05:48 PM
If it just quit and you have no spark, check all your electrical connections. Since you just rebuilt the LT, I assume you had the connections apart? Since it did run, maybe a connection came apart. After checking, make sure the connections are covered with the rubber grommets. Did you have the magneto off? Maybe the flywheel key sheared off. Check the above, including making sure the plug wire is tight on the plug. And making sure the boot end isn't loose on the wire.

bonds0033
10-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I was assuming it was going to be suttin like that .... let's just hope it ends up being that simple ..... i'm gonna work on it later today so I guess i'll find out then

CSR400EX
10-23-2008, 06:02 PM
if it has no spark, id say check the stator. a lot of LT's around here have had stators go bad on them, and the one i had went through a stator.

bonds0033
10-23-2008, 09:23 PM
turns out when i hit one of the doubles a wire pulled apart and got pulled back inside the plastic cover thing, thats why i couldn't find it before. But I got it going and took it out today, love the 2 stroke