PDA

View Full Version : 416 vs 426 vs 440 which one?

supernatural
08-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Which one is best and why? looking at motor upgrade. there are things i like about the 416 and things i like about the 440. i basically do alot of trail riding, powerlines with deep whoops, and sand pits with large hills. which mod would do me best with a cam? (best cam for what i do) i don't know how much i want to bore because if i blow something i could always go bigger. i don't read much about the 426s but it seems like alot of the guys on here have them. it seems like middle of the road would be my best bet. any suggestions would be great. and if i do go with the 426 what will i need? and who close to mass. does the best motor work if anyone knows?

bjg696
08-28-2008, 05:45 PM
Well i got a 440 with alot of mods, but a 416 is more reiable. Or a je 426 is a good kit to. Its all in how you build it. but for what you said you do, a 416 with a good hotcams stage 2, will be all the power you need IMO.

rideracelivemx7
08-28-2008, 09:59 PM
depends on how much money you want to spend. a 4 stroke doesnt react highley to light mods. you have to dump in the money and mods to feel it. a 2 stroke will feel 4 cc's over in a bore like no ones business. a 416 modded youll feel a little bit. a 426 modded will be alot of fun. a 440 modded will put you in your seat. it really all depends on how much you want to spend.

vAnS_77
08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Just get a new quad imo, save your 400ex for a girlfriend or your kid. If your ready to upgrade to higher bore, go 450. There are tons more things you can get for them...I guess you wouldn't have to worry about power.

sonof_perdition
08-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by vAnS_77
Just get a new quad imo, save your 400ex for a girlfriend or your kid. If your ready to upgrade to higher bore, go 450. There are tons more things you can get for them...I guess you wouldn't have to worry about power.

True.

But if your stuck with it, the 416 with cam, rejetted, and full exhaust system. Gives you the best bag for your buck... Save up and get better suspension first.

MtnEX
08-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I've been considering the same question since I've been wondering if I'm nearing a rebuild.

From all I have taken in so far, I don't think I'd go 440... but that's just "me".

So I have been trying to figure out what the build life might be on a bore... like if I am going to wear everything else out on the engine's second go-round, why not just do a 426 or whatever? If the rest is going to last and last, then maybe I want to go with the smallest possible upsize so it can be rebuilt like 3 times... 406, 416, 426...

Also, for what it is worth to some.... coming off a 450, I don't think the 450 class bikes are the answer to everything.

They do make more power, and to me they can be more sensible than upgrading an EX in some cases. I've even suggested it myself.

But the 450's are NOT a blanket answer. Even when modded they don't have a lot of low-end balls. Sometimes I wish I could turn back time and work a lot with re-gearing a 450, but then again I'm not sure it would have worked, and I'm not sure I wanted to deal with the additional 450 maintenance.

08-30-2008, 10:33 PM
i would have to say 416 just because you still have room to go. 416 can be built up to be pretty fast. I've seen good 416 pushing numbers that 440's do. I say lightly mod the motor for performance, dump money into suspension/handling, comfort. then go for more power if you need it