PDA

View Full Version : Rotor a little bent but. is it Okay?

shok47
08-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Hi, Im new to the ATV world, just got my first 2003 400ex and its been fun until I rode me and my buddy so he could show me some trails around the town. Bad idea, the chain got stretched big time so as Im waiting for my new chain and sprockets, Ive taken apart most of the 400ex to clean.

I have noticed that the rotor was touching the pads at one spot, but not too much. When I give the tires a good spin it will spin but it does slow it down. I can also see the caliper move to the left a little when it hits that spot.

when i inspected the brake pads they looked fine, alot of life left on them. Im just curious if it will be ok to run it since it hasnt caused me or my friend, the previous owner, any problems. I did a search and some say it will melt the bearings but nothing has happened.

bjg696
08-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Well i would say change it. Their not that high in price, but it will wear the pads out3 times as fast according to how bent it is. But if it were me i would go ahead and change it, b/c it gets hot enough with it straight. I bet that thing is cooking after a long ride.

08-28-2008, 07:21 PM
that has to rob some power too if its rubbing. Nothing huge probally but I would get it fixed like bjg696 you will wear out the pads faster

jeepthing07
08-28-2008, 08:18 PM
rocky mountain atv sells tusk 400ex rotors for like $30 replace it.

sc400ex_rider
08-29-2008, 06:35 AM
prolly get one off ebay for $15-20 shipped

shok47
08-29-2008, 09:06 AM
thanks for the replies.

luckily I already have a set of pads and rotorsnew in the package so I will do that after I get my chain and sprocket and see how it rides.

I think this wasnt such a good idea. I was hammering it while it was on the hub and it did straighten it some but Im sure that is bad for the axle or bearings :o in some way. No more of that.

coryatver
08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
You don't have to buy a new chain if your chain stretches it has adjustment to tighten your chain. There is a point that the chain gets to stretched out you can tell by how it rides in the sprocket and how much space is in between the rollers.

If your rotor is just tweeked a little can easily be straightened just use a large cresent wrench to bend it back at that spot I have done it to mine before. I wouldn't worry about the bearings from hammering on it that shouldn't do anything just imagine the side to side torque put on them when riding they can take a lot.

shok47
08-29-2008, 10:20 AM
that sounds good.

well I brought my chain to the local valley motorsports and he said the chain was shot, too much play between the links. The front sprocket was shot as well, shark teeth were forming, and the rear sprocket could be used more but since Im getting a new chain I mind as well get a everything new.

I would still be riding if I didnt take 1 too many links off the chain :mad: