PDA

View Full Version : Metal shavings in oil

jackson020
08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi,I just got a 2003 Kawasaki Mojave 250 last weekend.It seems to run excellent and all but I gave it a oil change today and saw a few very small aluminum(I think)metal shavings in the oil.Is it normal to have a small ammount of metal in the oil when you change it?The previous owner told me it hasn't had an oil change in a while.I didn't pay alot for it but would like to make sure it stays running.Also,this is my 1st 4 stroke engine.Do they make a deep almost almost klunking sound ay low rpm when under strain?I'm not sure what it is supposed to sound like since this is my 1st 4 stroke.The noise isn't there at mid and high rpm.Other than that there are no noises.Thanks in advance for all responses.Hopefully I am being paranoid because it does run great.

mfr422
08-28-2008, 05:53 PM
jackson020,
A small amount of filings is normal, especially if the oil hasen't been changed in awhile. These are usually from the clutch, however if you have shavings or chunks, you should be concerned. filings are small enough to pass through the filter where shavings will get caught in it. Mojaves have a little piston slap at low rpm high load situations, this is normal. Good luck with your new machine, Roost on!!!

jackson020
08-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks alot for the reply,I feel a little better now.Glad I found this forum.I didn't see any chunks in the oil filter so that is good.I will give this another oil change in a couple weeks just to see what it looks like.I do remember a guy who had a new Yamaha 4 stroke that made the same sort of sound when he took off,kind of a knocking sound so I assume it is normal.The last time I had a 4 stroke was 1987 so it will take a while to get used to.These things sure have come a long way.Great useable power.Now just to soften up the suspension a little and I'll be ready to go.