PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Repacking??

wellsj54
08-28-2008, 07:56 AM
I bought some packing for my 250x exhaust last night. The guy at the local dealer told me the stringy looking type stuff was better. I have seen both the string looking stuff as well as the sheet type that you wrap around the core. This is Moose brand and I went ahead and bought the string type. Do you think this is fine. Its an older Graydon Proline full exhaust system. thanks

bwamos
08-28-2008, 08:10 AM
Yes, the "stringy" type works better than the cheap fiberglass packing.

It should work fine. ;)

sparks427
08-28-2008, 08:11 AM
just curious, but whats the diffrence.

wellsj54
09-02-2008, 08:22 AM
They have a type in a bag that looks like yarn or just string and then they have it in sheets that you wrap around the core. The sting type is much easier to pack. It made a noticeable difference. I took the core out and there was no packing in it at all. Sounds much deeper now.

dirtdawg
09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
you could also use steel wool, just thought i'd tell you. just get the 0000 grade, you'll need 2 packages of it. it's cheaper than buying that other stuff.

bwamos
09-04-2008, 09:22 AM
If sound limitations are an issue it doesn't dampen sound quite as well, though. The thing about having a better packing material is that it allows a little better flow while maintinaing the same sound level as a slightly more restricted silencer w/ the lower quality packing material.