PDA

View Full Version : life after highschool

Mxjunkie
08-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Seem's like in todays day of age it's becoming even harder to get into colleges or finding your way to a trade school.. Is anyone else having trouble trying to get into schools? I was going to go to wyotech for auto body but they have a 2 year waiting list, UTI's collison repair school is down in Texas and I really can't afford to go down there.. There is one that is 45 minutes away from my house but with a v8 s10 I can't afford the damn gas all the way up there and back while driving to work everyday.. I can't sell the truck because at the time being that's my way to show people my work :o

Most of my friends are all in college to become engineers which are high salary jobs but I really couldn't see myself doing something such as that.. even affording the classes would be a challenge and a job like that isn't really creative the way I like.. Doing 2tone candy flip flops and flames seem a little more fun to me.. I know after 30-40 years all the chemicals will probably do something though.:p I'd love to get into doing custom work but a lot of places won't even look your way unless you have some kind of certification.

Get this though, in 5 towns in my area there is 17 body shops.. :p

How are some of you guys coming along?

08-28-2008, 07:10 AM
On my car forums, there are a lot of mechanics, few of them with 20+ years experience. And all of them say wyotech is the worst thing to happen to the auto repair industry. The classes teach you nothing, and anyone that knows anything would just as soon hire a parking lot mechanic at autozone than a wyotech grad. They also say stay away from dealerships. You'll get stuck doing all the crappy jobs while the mechanics with seniortiy take the cake jobs.

Mxjunkie
08-28-2008, 07:15 AM
That is true because I called and talked to the wyotech's body guy and I about fumbled him when I told him some of the stuff I do at work with some chains and a couple winches.. :devil: :p

Automotive training center is the closest one to me and I talked to them and they are going to teach me exactly what I can do now.. My boss told me to go there and play dumb then excel at everything.. :p

The guy had asked me if I've ever painted before and I told him I've done probaly 30 overall paint jobs and countless other jobs.. He asked how old I was and there was a silent moment till he finally said wait how old are you again? lol :blah:

I see life a little different I suppose because to me, restoring and working on cars for people gets your name out there and people will remember you by the cars in the up and coming years.. I can't see myself stocking a shelf at wal-mart so paco and taco can come and buy everything up, That's why it seems a little bumfumbling trying to find a career that's worth while, a lot of my friends are in the same boat too.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/Mxjunkie69/0822081510a.jpg

Nick110
08-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Josh I am kind of in the same situation as you. Most of my friends went away to college where as I didnt even apply to one . I can not see myself going to school another 4-6 years and then getting a job where I have to sit at a desk or something. I would much rather be working with my hands, doing physical labor, working outside, etc. So I had a plan to go to Wyotech too but the waiting list is a killer. I also thought about MMI the motorcycle mechanic place but found something even better. My friends dad owns a multi billion dollar demolition company with job sites all over the country. So I talked to him and just like us he was in the same place when he was a kid and he started this business. So I have a secure union job with him somewhere down south. He is also big into racing MX so he understands and helps me out with that. The best part is I start off at 45 an hour.:o

Mxjunkie
08-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Hell yeah Nick that's good to hear though! I could do the same thing and work for friends of the family but they all own some odd ball company's.. One guy power washes the underside of the boats at the marina so they can be put in storage and he makes enough money he just sits on his butt all winter and waits for the season to come back up.. Seem's laid back but I can't see spending a day sitting on my arse.. I have to be doing something, if not I go crazy.. Right now I have off work until wed and I'm going insane.. I think I've cleaned all our cars, washed the trailer, organized the garage and even cleaned my room :eek2:

Another huge thing in my area is growing mushrooms, hence the mushroom capital of the world.. I've pondered on the idea of getting into the business of building the mushroom houses.. Some of the projects the companies do here are 5-10 million dollar jobs. But to do so, you have to go to some sort of school for all the degrees needed and knowledge to fuss with the building inspectors. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.. :ermm:

416exfreak
08-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Im not out of Highschool yet, but im glad this thread was brought up.

I had no idea there was such an extensive waiting list, or that wyotech was such a joke. That saves me a couple options.

And for those who love hot rods or just building engines in general, theres a school in Texas called SAM. School of Automotive Machinsts... I'm planning on going there myself.

<a href="http://www.samracing.com/">S.A.M</a>

Just throwing it out there for anyone who reads through this thread:)

chevy
08-28-2008, 09:53 AM
i think highschools push the idea of college into students heads way to much.

I am in an welding engineering degree because i am booksmart and i like doing engineer work.

if in highschool i thought i was going to be a welder i would of became an apprentice. i think for skilled trades the best way to go is apprenticeship.

ZeroLogic
08-28-2008, 10:48 AM
I've been framing houses for $11.50 a hour since I got out of school. I like it, has its ups and downs just like anyother job but I want to go to a school for wood working. Lifes tough after highschool, so get left back as much as possible.:blah:

Quad18star
08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm with Chevy... if school really isn't your thing or if you really can't afford it .... try getting an apprenticeship. You'll learn the trade, earn money and get a certificate out of it in the end.

A lot of people think of Engineering as being behind a desk and pushing paper all day long ... but that's not always the case.

I'm taking an Engineering Technician program , which will allow me the chance to be in an office and be out in the field. My responsibilities won't be as much as an Engineer who went to University for 5 years and wears an iron ring ... also I won't be able to sign off on designs. I'll be the one out in the field gathering information or being on a job site coordinating the workers on what to do and how things should go together. I read the Engineers blueprints and make sure the bluecollars understand them.

I've taken Civil Engineering and now I'm taking Mining Engineering .... both offer a really good challenge and things are always changing , especially with mining. Everyday brings new problems and new scenarios so you don't get bored. And if I wanted to , I have the option of sitting in an office and crunching numbers.

Engineering offers a wide range of things to do .... and the Technician program is only 2 years in length.

roundsy
08-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star
A lot of people think of Engineering as being behind a desk and pushing paper all day long ... but that's not always the case.

I'm taking an Engineering Technician program , which will allow me the chance to be in an office and be out in the field. My responsibilities won't be as much as an Engineer who went to University for 5 years and wears an iron ring ... also I won't be able to sign off on designs. I'll be the one out in the field gathering information or being on a job site coordinating the workers on what to do and how things should go together. I read the Engineers blueprints and make sure the bluecollars understand them.

I've taken Civil Engineering and now I'm taking Mining Engineering .... both offer a really good challenge and things are always changing , especially with mining. Everyday brings new problems and new scenarios so you don't get bored. And if I wanted to , I have the option of sitting in an office and crunching numbers.

Engineering offers a wide range of things to do .... and the Technician program is only 2 years in length.

I know exactly what you mean, I started out in a 5 year engineering course (at the University of Waterloo...if you know where that is) but now I've transferred into a 3 year engineering technologist course and it has been the better decision so far. Sure I won't get to wear the ring and sign off on drawings but that's quite alright with me with all the risk involved today if you do make a mistake. I'd rather be out in the field and on the jobsite understanding the project in a real "hand-on" approach then stuffed behind a desk anyday. There will still be days I'll be in the office but it won't be all the time.

Where about's are you going to school?

Quad18star
08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by roundsy
I know exactly what you mean, I started out in a 5 year engineering course (at the University of Waterloo...if you know where that is) but now I've transferred into a 3 year engineering technologist course and it has been the better decision so far. Sure I won't get to wear the ring and sign off on drawings but that's quite alright with me with all the risk involved today if you do make a mistake. I'd rather be out in the field and on the jobsite understanding the project in a real "hand-on" approach then stuffed behind a desk anyday. There will still be days I'll be in the office but it won't be all the time.

Where about's are you going to school?

Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology.

What about you? What Technologist program are you taking? I'll probably end up taking the 3rd year. I get a Technician diploma after this year. :devil:

quad59
08-28-2008, 01:09 PM
For all of you guys looking to go to automotive trade schools check out Northwestern college in Lima Ohio. I went there untill I got burned out and joined the military. I had been working auto since I was 13 in my dads shop and his friends shops, started out studding tires, and doing lubes I had a change of heart and left to work on aircraft. It is good school and they have some Aftermarket industry type training programs. When I was there you went to school from 6 a.m to 12, 0r 12p.m to 6 p.m, 0r 6p.m to 12 a.m so there was alot of flexibility to get a job. The hopusing was a 3 bedroom apartment and you had you own room. Just check it out its worth a look.

roundsy
08-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology.

What about you? What Technologist program are you taking? I'll probably end up taking the 3rd year. I get a Technician diploma after this year. :devil:

Conestoga College for Mechanical Engineering - Design & Analysis. It's a 3 year Co-op program but I'll probably do a 4th year and upgrade it to a degree

ALAMX37
08-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Well I am currently taking a few semesters off. I was going to Auburn University and that junk is hectic. Between work, school, and frat duties college isn't much fun.
I am trying to get a degree in Chemical Engineering, but I am taking some time to figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. I went to JUCO right out of high school and have to say you can get a two year degree with very little effort. In today's world that little piece of paper will take you a long way.

Pappy
08-28-2008, 04:08 PM
All I ever wanted to be was a Marine and when that ended I planned on becoming involved in some form of police/investigative type career. That all ended when I got booted from the Corps with hearing loss.

With no other training beyond knowing how to put a bullet on target, I found myself with nothing besides what I was taught growing up working for my dad in a welding shop and the only schooling I ever completed(photography)

I make 50% of my income with a camera now:p And the welding knowledge adds to what I make a year along with the powdercoating. Point is, completing something has paid off and continues to pay off and this is true for most things after highschool no matter how basic it seems at the time and learning a trade is almost timeless when it comes to atleast surviving in the workplace.

Josh, if you cant get into a bigger school, give a few business classes a thought. Management/Business Management etc will help throughout your career and the hands on stuff your learning is 100% better then any classroom will teach. Your work is your diploma in a trade such as body work and painting, and teh field will weed out the bad people fairly quick.

08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
I was in the same boat as all you guys. I was framing with my dad for a while, and I absolutely hated it. After one week of working 12 hour work days(long story) I said F this. I start college in Jan. now. It's only a CC but, I'm getting all my general classes out of the way, and I'm taking an automotive program. So I end up with a college degree and I'll get my ASE certification's.

quad2xtreme
08-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
The best part is I start off at 45 an hour.:o

Guessing you don't realize that $45 an hour equates to $93,600 a year which puts you in the top 5% of money earners in the United States. Pretty damn good for someone just out of high school. I can promise you none of your buddies graduating from college will be making that for quite a few years. Many of the Phds at my company aren't making that and I have quite a few network engineers with their Masters and 10 years experience that are around that level. Add the union benefits and you have quite a package. Auto workers will be envious.

08-28-2008, 05:39 PM
i'm in my senior year of highschool so i still have 168 days left. I plan on going to community college for 2 years which is much cheaper schooling for the same degree at a university and i can live at home saving cash and stuff. Then i plan on going to UF for 2 more years or so to get my degree in business. Thats the only way I can get into UF is to go to community college 1st and thn major at the university because its so hard to get in. They are looking for students with 4.0GPA + with extra curricular things and athletes. Maybe if schools had ATV racing for sports lol Jobs arent so easy to find either. I have a job lined up for the summer working as an electrician for contractors which is pretty cool. Right now if I worked full time I can make $45,000 or so a year as a CAD/CAm designer or CNC machinest but working full time is not something I want to do.

LTandRaptorider
08-28-2008, 06:15 PM
Lots of good replies on here for you, Josh. But uppermost in my mind when I saw your thread... OMG! He's outta school already! :p Ahh... they grow up so fast...

Whatever you decide to do, make it work! Good luck bud. :cool:

Mxjunkie
08-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I really appreciate everyone chiming in and giving me and others in the same shoes some advice, There are so many kids out there in the same boat and it's a bummer to see people with a ton of talent go down the dumps of dead end jobs and a life time not worth while. A lot of my friends left school to help foot the bills at home, it seems bizzare to some but it's really out there.. Majority of the people I went to school with can't even think of going to a college or trade school.. I saw a couple buddies of mine that were driving around collecting scrap so he could put gas in his tank that next couple days for work.. It's a shame..

Oh yeah Bart I know, you'd think I've been 18 4 to 5 years ago by how long I've been working already... Growing up so quick sucks though I might add, I wouldn't mind going back to makin dirt jumps and half pipes in my back yard wondering what tricks or lines I could come up with next.. Now everyday I wonder how I'm going to save at least 10 grand or so for a different gas saving car, school, laptop and what ever else life may throw my way.. This isn't really the picture they had painted in school about growing up tell ya what lol.. :blah:

08-28-2008, 07:28 PM
best thing to do is go to college that really needs to be priority now days. My friend finished high school and never planned on college, he is 23 years old right now and he has a wife and kid to take care of. He spent some time in jail earlier after running for 3 years from the police but he figured it was the best thing that he got caught so he could get a real job and didnt have to hide anymore. He works all the time and is renting a house. I dont think things are going the best for him right now because when i went to call him last weekend his phone line said it was temporarily disconnected which probally means he couldnt pay the bills. I feel kinda bad because people without college now days normally cant go very far in life so i hope one day i'm rich so i can help people like that out.

Quad18star
08-28-2008, 07:38 PM
I know you said going to college is tough because of money and travelling and such , but here's another bit of suggestion.

If you really want to pursue the college route, buy yourself a $500 4banger that'll get you to and from school for dollars a week. I did it for a few years on my first stint in college. I didn't really care what I was driving .... I wasn't there to impress others ... I was there to get my papers. Hell now I'm back in college and driving a Saturn .... no impresing anybody over here. LOL

Also if you find that money is keeping you away from being able to attend school, look into bursaries or grants. You wouldn't believe how many bursaries are available out there .... most aren't advertised. Lots will be available if you've been out of school for a few years , some are geared towards specific programs and others are there to just help people that want to attend school but are struggling to pay for it. Great thing with bursaries .... you don't have to pay them back.

And if worse comes to worse , go out and get a student loan. I had to do it and there's no shame in doing it. I applied through our provincial government and they're going to help me out ... I even got accepted for a grant which will decrease the amount I have to pay back on the loan by $5000.

The number one thing you can invest in , is your education. You may have to put the toys on the back burner for a few years , borrow the money ... but once you're up and working full-time in a career , you pay off the loans in no time and then have the chance to buy the toys again. :devil:

TRX450RACER174
08-28-2008, 07:43 PM
All i can say is go out and do something you like for yourself and not to please someone else. I graduated in 91 have been working with cars since then and have done many fine things with my life in those 17yrs. I have a great job working for Honda have built many custom cars and trucks as well as boats and have many custom fields under my belt that i never went to school with just hung around the right people and got a chance to do myself. I agree i see guys that come straight out of UTI and they think they are the shiz but they soon get a reality check, imo get your foot in the door somewhere and work your butt off thats what i did and take pride in whatever you do.

Mxjunkie
08-29-2008, 06:09 AM
I found a college that was just put up about 5 miles from my house, of course they have automotive but it's mechanics instead of body repair.. Not really what I want to do but maybe it won't hurt to go just to get it and have it for the future, they also have construction classes as well.. :tired:

Courses
AUT 100 Introduction to Automotive Service Operation and Shop Practices 2
AUT 101 Automotive Electricity and Electronics 4
AUT 102 Automotive Engines 4
AUT 103 Automotive Brake Systems 4
AUT 114 Automotive Steering and Suspension Systems 4
AUT 115 Automotive Fuel I & II 2

Courses
AUTC 121 Automotive Engine Performance 3
AUTC 201 Automotive Chassis and Security Systems 2
AUTC 150 Automotive Air Conditioning 2
AUTC 151 Automotive Ignition Systems, Identification and Diagnosis 2
AUTC 152 Automotive Computer and Emission Diagnosis 3
AUTC 153 Automotive Manual Transmission/Transaxle and Clutches 3
AUTC 200 Automotive Automatic Transmission/Transaxle 4
AUTC 123 Automotive Computer Power Train Controls 2

trx400exxracer
08-29-2008, 08:22 AM
I am still in high school.(actually right now). I am taking classes at the Tech. College for 3 periods a day for AST (or what some people like to call it is a sheet metal class). In the program I will be able to do an internship when i get out highschool. I have heard its a really good program and I hope the rest of the year goes smooth.

sonof_perdition
08-29-2008, 09:25 AM
My advice is don't settle for less that what you want.

Dont let money or circumstances get in the way of having the life you want.

When it comes to your life and what you want, do not be resonable.

Be Unreasonable!

Otherwise you might end up being that overwieght guy sitting in his lazyboy drinking a budlight wearing a danzig shirt, sporting a mullet and thinking he should have moved to texas or wyoming or whatever no matter what it took. Not to sound cliche but luck does favor the prepared. So go prepare yourself.

trick450r
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
i dont understand why you guys are on such a long waiting list at wyotech...i have 5 friends down their right now and they all got in no problem? one only applied 2 months before he left.

Regular_Joe
08-29-2008, 11:03 AM
A college degree means many things.

The most obvious is that you learned quite a bit of THEORY about a subject. Unless you had an internship it is not accompanied by any real world experience. This is the part that most graduates lack. The real world experience.

The hidden things a degree holds is about your character and work ethic. Degrees are not given away or easy. If they were everyone would have them. It proves you can listen, learn, take direction, and work on a 2 to 4+ year goal and achieve it. You can manage your time, adhere to schedules, balance workloads, etc. All of these are critical skills needed in the work environment.

Regular_Joe
08-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Also your extra-curriculars play into this as well. Hobbies and interests show a well rounded individual. They generally are happier and much easier to work with. The easier it is to work with you, the more work your employees are able to pull off (as a group). Plus these aren't the guys who are going to show up to work one day with a gun and blow everyone away.

younggun95
08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
I guess I could chime in here. I actually just started my first week of college at UNLV. Major as of now is Business Management. Originally thought I wanted to study Mechanical engineering, but it all came down to what was most important to me. My racing career. Eng would take me a few more years to complete, and the classes would have been slightly tougher so I decided to go with something a bit easier. And I can still use my degree to get some kind of job in the ATV industry when I'm finished.
I scheduled all my classes really early so I could get exactly what I want. I don't start class on Monday until 10 am incase I'm late coming back from a race. I'm done with class by 12:45 on thursday, and nothing Friday so I can leave for races.

I-7
08-30-2008, 03:31 PM
My advice is to join the military. Try going into some mechanic or technical job field and get paid to go to school... after four years or however long you stay in, you come out with all the background and money you need to take the next step in your life. I am personally majoring in Criminal Justice right now at a State school. I originally wanted to be a police officer after school but I am pretty sure I will be joining the Navy or Coast Guard afterwards and go in as an officer. After that I can go into a police force with rank.

ZeroLogic
08-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
I found a college that was just put up about 5 miles from my house, of course they have automotive but it's mechanics instead of body repair.. Not really what I want to do but maybe it won't hurt to go just to get it and have it for the future, they also have construction classes as well.. :tired:

Courses
AUT 100 Introduction to Automotive Service Operation and Shop Practices 2
AUT 101 Automotive Electricity and Electronics 4
AUT 102 Automotive Engines 4
AUT 103 Automotive Brake Systems 4
AUT 114 Automotive Steering and Suspension Systems 4
AUT 115 Automotive Fuel I & II 2

Courses
AUTC 121 Automotive Engine Performance 3
AUTC 201 Automotive Chassis and Security Systems 2
AUTC 150 Automotive Air Conditioning 2
AUTC 151 Automotive Ignition Systems, Identification and Diagnosis 2
AUTC 152 Automotive Computer and Emission Diagnosis 3
AUTC 153 Automotive Manual Transmission/Transaxle and Clutches 3
AUTC 200 Automotive Automatic Transmission/Transaxle 4
AUTC 123 Automotive Computer Power Train Controls 2

What school is that Josh?

Mxjunkie
08-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
What school is that Josh?

It's a branch of delaware community college, It's literally about 5 miles down the road.. We use to ride quads where the place was put up, I was actually up there a couple nights past cutting circles in pinky lol :blah:

http://www.dccc.edu/locations/chestertech.html

Warnerade
08-31-2008, 09:17 AM
life after highschool?

Couldnt ask for any better

Went to a trade school, got into a good *** tool and die job...I run a boring mill that is big enough you can park a car on my table, they are paying for my college. I work as many hours a week that I want, 40 if needed or 70 when I'm feeling broke. I'm on pace to make 50g's this year...have 2 bad *** quads, a race rig...and I'm doin nationals next year.

Livin' the dream I guess you could say...

phatswinn
08-31-2008, 09:54 AM
hey all, i havent been on this site in ages but ill offer you the wisdom ive learned in the past few years. 2 years ago when all of my friends went to school i buckled down and found a full time job, while my friends are in debts now upwards for $25000 to get a degree in something thier going to make $35,000- $40,000 a year in eventually, ive worked my arse off focusing on my own future, its my belief that when you actually work hard at something you'll get rewarded in return. anyway while thier all broke in college i picked up a minumum wage labor job as a bridge mechanic for the county i live in, worked my butt off, and am now fulltime making 35k a year, and also drive a tow truck for a very busy, and well paying tow company here and make approx. 45k a year doing that just on the weekends. and with absolutly no loans to pay off, the county job has also offered to send me to RIT in two years to egt a 4 year degree in civil technology and civil engineering to be thier new bridge engineer in 6 years.

what i am trying to say for you mxjunkie is to start looking for apprenticships in high quality, and busy body shops in your area, they will see your potential, show iniative and get the job the old fashioned way, imo college isnt exactly for trades. and will never amount to what you learn on the job.

ridered11
08-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I will be going to college to play lacrosse, and earn a degree in the criminal justice field. Upon graduation I plan on pursuing the job of a federal agent ( secret service, US marshal, DEA agent, ATF agent, FBI)

Now I just have to decide what school I want to go to.....

extremeblastr
08-31-2008, 11:17 AM
well i've purused a few different routes and i think i finally found the one thats easiest to work out, i was originally going to uconn for track and field (discus and javelin) but tore up my shoulder on my quad (that would be my luck) so i found a job with a casting company that makes parts for GE, Pratt and Whitney and the likes and after a while their decided spending 40 yrs at a job i hate and will never be paid well at i'm now at school taking criminal justice treatment courses with the intent of beginning training as a corrections officer about 2 years from now...

there is a lot of good advice in this thread, its just a matter of finding out which option is right for you, if your really into the body work then your best bet would be to go find a shop that is willing to give you a chance and show em what you can do.

79400ex
09-01-2008, 04:48 PM
A job you might look at is at a power plant or for power company. This what I a do for a university. The pay is good and we are under paid compared to the private area. Alot of the starting pay in the private area is over $15 an hour or higher with pay topping out over $30 to $45 a hour. The only draw back to these jobs are the hours of work.