PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r not starting

ajackson25
08-28-2008, 05:43 AM
I've looked through the forums for an answer before i decided to post a thread. Couldn't find a definite answer so heres my problem. My 05 trx450r has been sitting for about 6 months now. I changed the gas in it before i tried to start it. It will not even attempt to turn over. I noticed also when i turn the key on the heat indicator light does not even come on. I know that light comes on for a couple of seconds when the key is turned on. I went to the dealership yesterday to get some answers they said its the carburator. I think its more than just the carborator. I'm new to this site and have never ran into this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

HAVOK
08-28-2008, 07:04 AM
The light on 04-05 will only come on after the quad has been started. There is no power to light it up, prior to start up. Did it run fine the last time u ran it? Did you drain the carb? Turn the gas on and open up the carb drain and let it run for a few min.

08-28-2008, 07:25 AM
For once the dealer is correct. You need to disassemble the carb and clean out the jets. Especially the pilot jet.

Havok is right about the temp light. No battery no power until started.

ajackson25
08-28-2008, 08:08 AM
I'll tear apart the carb this weekend. I know that heat temp light always came on for just a couple of seconds when I turned the key in the on position, it didn't stay on. I know the headlights do not come on till the quad is running. Thanks for the help guys.

ajackson25
08-28-2008, 08:09 AM
The bike ran great before I put it away for those 6 months.

08-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ajackson25
I'll tear apart the carb this weekend. I know that heat temp light always came on for just a couple of seconds when I turned the key in the on position, it didn't stay on. I know the headlights do not come on till the quad is running. Thanks for the help guys.

That's impossible. There is no power until you start it. No battery no power. Think about it.

ajackson25
08-28-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm telling you it always came on just for a couple seconds once that key was turned in the on position. You all are like what the heck but i'm serious it would come on. I'll focus on the carb this weekend thanks haha

Scro
08-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
That's impossible. There is no power until you start it. No battery no power. Think about it.

There is a small capacitor somewhere in the wiring that holds enough charge to make the light come on. I believe this same capacitor also sends an initial spark to the engine on startup if I remember correctly.

IrideMHSC
08-28-2008, 09:13 AM
my 04 when i turn the key on never turns the light on... the only time the heat light would come on was when i first start the bike.... same thing with my dads 05??

HAVOK
08-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Their is no capacitor that holds power for the temp light or spark plug. Power is created when the quad is kick over the same as the 250R and about every other kickstart quad and bike.
No battery= no power

ajackson25
08-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Not trying to get everyone heated up guys so thanks for the help. I'll let you all know the outcome once the carb has been cleaned. Thanks haha

Scro
08-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ajackson25
Not trying to get everyone heated up guys so thanks for the help. I'll let you all know the outcome once the carb has been cleaned. Thanks haha

Nobody's getting heated - just typically forum discussion:p Well, they are calling what I'm talking about a condenser in the microfiche. It's under the hood on the 04's on the right side I believe with two wires coming out of the top. Isn't that what a condenser is designed to do - store energy?

HAVOK
08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
yes a condenser/ capacitor stores power. they also are used as filters in many differant ways.

Bridgewater
08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
u leave gas in the tank before u put it away..?
hmm done this b4 on a utility. took of the carb/gas tank/and gas and air filter. clean out the gas tank VERY good along with the carb. make sure all the valves r clean and the lines r also all clean. probably just got gumed up gas EVERYWHERE throughout the 4 wheeler.

once everything is cleaned, charge the bettery and u should b good to go.
might even consider just buying a new battery.
gl with it..i know it took me sometime on a utility

d3ktrix
08-28-2008, 06:21 PM
TRX450R_Racer and HAVOK are both correct.

I'd bet my life savings and my quad that the oil light DOES NOT come on when you turn the key on with the 04/05 bikes.
Only comes on once the bike is started.

And I agree that you need to clean your carb.
Gas sitting in your carb for 6 months pretty much turns into varnish and totally clogs up your jets. It's very common.
I even had to clean out the carb on my pressure washer last month cuz my dad left it siting for 4 months and forgot to drain the carb.

Next time before you put it away for a long time, emtpy the carb out using the float drain.
Should really drain the entire tank, but most people won't go through the hassle. Nor do they think about the octain in the fuel dropping over time :P