PDA

View Full Version : Members with 416 kits please step inside.

RAPTORAZ
12-08-2002, 06:53 AM
I've finally decided to wake up my EX. And it seems like the best bang for the buck is a high compression 416 piston and a stage II Hot Cam. I'm leaning towards using a Ross piston, because of their light weight and pin options. My questions are: What gaskets should I use, and who has the best deals on Hot Cams and Ross pistons? I'm also interested in others opinions on this combo and it's components. Thanks in advance.

crashinmatt
12-08-2002, 07:57 AM
as for the gaskets to use, i would suggest a xr head gasket, and a cometic base gasket. some people dont use a base gasket and put silicone on there, but im not sure how good that is. i cant tell u who has the best deals on these peices, but what ur lookin at gettin looks pretty good. but i have heard some really good things about sparks and tc cams.

YZROOSTINYA
12-09-2002, 04:15 AM
look at sig

i have cometic but will be switching to stock honda when i do the valves in the nect couple months. if you have alot oh hours on your head i would suggest getting new valves as the stage 2 has a lot of lift and is harder on the valves seat and valve face. there is a small collection of dirt on a section of my head gasket but it doesn't seam to be leaking. i am taking my head off to get new valves and a 3 angle with clean up port soon so i will be getting a xr head gasket

knighttime
12-09-2002, 07:43 AM
my 416 kit may not have the most hp, but it is almost bulletproof, with the XR400 cam u dont need to change the springs and valves, rockers, etc. Viton valve seals are the only upgrade u need. I used a cometic gasket kit. The parts for it cost around $300.00

YZROOSTINYA
12-09-2002, 07:45 AM
hot cams are same material as stock cam and with 25 hours now no probs, stock valves,rockers, springs.....

hot cams for 100-130 on ebay

knighttime
12-09-2002, 08:11 AM
yeah i have heard they work real well, i probably would have went with a hot-cam, but they werent out yet when i had my engine apart

OCCRA288
12-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by RAPTORAZ
I've finally decided to wake up my EX. And it seems like the best bang for the buck is a high compression 416 piston and a stage II Hot Cam. I'm leaning towards using a Ross piston, because of their light weight and pin options. My questions are: What gaskets should I use, and who has the best deals on Hot Cams and Ross pistons? I'm also interested in others opinions on this combo and it's components. Thanks in advance.

If you want a light weight piston try a wiseco or JE. Ross builds heavy pistons for more TORQUE. compare a Ross to a Wiseco you'll see that Ross pistons are heavier than others on the market.(no flame intended)

RAPTORAZ
12-09-2002, 09:38 AM
According to the manufactures weight specs, the Ross pistons are 16 grams lighter than the JE pistons. The Ross piston is 275 grams and the JE piston is 291 grams. Those numbers are straight off their websites. I just ordered the 415 piston from Ross. I should see it in a couple of days. Now all I need is the cam and gaskets.

YZROOSTINYA
12-09-2002, 09:50 AM
WEIGHT does NOT give you more torque!

ross and je were designed by the same guy.

RAPTORAZ
12-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
WEIGHT does NOT give you more torque!

Correct. Weight just gives you a slower revving motor. That's why I wanted the lightest piston available. Quick revs!:D

12-09-2002, 10:17 AM
RAPTORAZ, Your on the right path man. Just a few thoughts.

1. gaskets kits give you most everything but not normally the best of any, even cometic has diff styles of gaskets and you would be better to get what you need rather than what is in some kit.

2. Very important here.. get your deck height measurement with which ever gasket and then decide on the base and head gasket thickness based on your findings so you dont get too low or high compression.

You will need to either work some formulas or use one of the online calculators but thats the only way to set things up right.

RAPTORAZ
12-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
RAPTORAZ, Your on the right path man. Just a few thoughts.

1. gaskets kits give you most everything but not normally the best of any, even cometic has diff styles of gaskets and you would be better to get what you need rather than what is in some kit.

2. Very important here.. get your deck height measurement with which ever gasket and then decide on the base and head gasket thickness based on your findings so you dont get too low or high compression.

You will need to either work some formulas or use one of the online calculators but thats the only way to set things up right.

I think I've pretty much decided on getting gaskets for an EX instead of an XR. Even though the Ross piston was designed for an XR motor. I'd rather sacrifice a minute amount of compression for the added chain tension and piston-to-valve clearance. Not to mention that the lower compression will generate less heat and be less detonation prone on pump gas. Any thoughts on gasket compositions and brand?

F-16Guy
12-09-2002, 05:40 PM
Just reading this thread, here's my two cents-
I agree with 440ex4me, test fit your piston and take deck height measurements, and then do the math to get your CR as close to what Ross advertises as possible (be sure to use the compressed gasket thickness when calculating). As far as gaskets go, I would go with a 3 piece stainless steel head and a good quality fiber base, I used Cometic. Also, a lot of people recommend using larger head studs, but a guy I talked to at Cometic said that you can take the stock studs out, chase the threads with an end tap, and gain 2-3 threads when reinstalled. I didn't do this on mine, but it sounds like a good idea to keep higher CR motors from blowing head gaskets.

12-09-2002, 08:46 PM
I'd rather sacrifice a minute amount of compression for the added chain tension and piston-to-valve clearance.

Its not really minute or small in any way, and this is the only way you will know what you really have.

What I am saying is that you will never get the exact comp listed to the piston and depending on the actual measurements you could be much higher or lower.

You should deff be safe with your thinking but safe doesnt = hp. :D