PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to race gas?

Kevslatvin
08-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm going to race flattrack next week at the fair. Would there be any advantage to using race gas. I don't know my compression ratio. It had the 440 kit when I got it and I don't know which one it is. I've used 93 in it to this point and it has ran good with no problems. Should I just stick to 93 or mix it 50/50. Thanks

Banshee_370
08-27-2008, 05:14 PM
no gain unless your bike is tuned for it..it will smell good...thats about it

08-27-2008, 06:01 PM
quad magazine tested most of the race gas out there and they showed very little gains on a stock motor. Unless you have high compression its not doing you good. You might just shoot flames out the exhaust lol. I'm pretty sure race gas makes you run cooler, thats an advantage but you wont really see a power gain from it. You said its a 440 so it has to have at least 10:1 compression I would assume. If you run fine on 93 why bother paying more for a higher octane

Honda#4
08-27-2008, 07:13 PM
quad magazine tested most of the race gas out there and they showed very little gains on a stock motor. Unless you have high compression its not doing you good. You might just shoot flames out the exhaust lol. I'm pretty sure race gas makes you run cooler, thats an advantage but you wont really see a power gain from it. You said its a 440 so it has to have at least 10:1 compression I would assume. If you run fine on 93 why bother paying more for a higher octane

I agree, I bought the mag to read up on that. Very nice write up they did on it to.

Kevslatvin
08-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks. I'll probably stick to 93. I'm almost too cheap to buy the other if it's not going to do anything for me.

Glamis400ex
08-28-2008, 06:21 AM
When I still had my 426ex I ran 50/50 of 91 pump and VPC12. It ran very, very good like that. I could run straight 91 on the trails but the sand dunes I needed a little bit of race gas. Sand is a killer on these air cooled motors.

Kevslatvin
09-04-2008, 06:31 PM
I ended up getting 1.5 gal of Sunoco 110 and mixing it with 3 gallons of 93. It didn't feel any stronger but it did seem like it ran smoother. Almost seemed to have a better idle as well.

leasureryan
09-04-2008, 07:20 PM
it will....it's better fuel all around. They don't make that stuff by the millions of gallons....it's a smaller scale, therefore more time and effort is spent making it, and the requirements are alot higher for it to be considered race fuel. They can't just wing it if ya know what I mean.

it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see 93 octane and 87 coming out of the same tank

jrsmith_80
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
[i]
it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see 93 octane and 87 coming out of the same tank [/B]

I have heard the same thing. I have been told numerous times that "alot of times when ther is fuel left over in the tanker they just go ahead and dump it into whatever tank needs a little more." I know they are not supposed to but that is why there are inspection stickers on the pumps but I have seen and know a fuel inspector and for the money they get paid, they dont care.

MtnEX
09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I ran some straight race gas in mine and really could not tell a difference other than it smelled better. I don't know if I'm just tripping or what, but to me, it seemed to be a tad better on mid-range and weaker on low end.

I really couldn't tell much of an operating temperature difference either. My legs couldn't tell the difference anyways....

No question it is better fuel, but for the cost I'm not so sure it makes sense anymore. It's not a big gain. But I can see where you'd need it on a race gas motor. But not sure building a motor that needs race gas makes much sense either... LOL.