PDA

View Full Version : k&n or uni?

monkeyballs
08-27-2008, 01:04 PM
I have a honda 400ex with a full system yosh pipe and no air box lid. But stock filter :-s. And I am debating on getting a k&n w/ pre charger or a uni. I do all types of riding. Bush, road, sand, and finally I go through enough watter. What should I go with? Is there such thing as to much air flow? ty

brian76708
08-27-2008, 01:09 PM
go with uni i have had both the knn and uni i feel a lot safer with a uni and it still flows better then stock and i would do the outerwears airbox mod

mooseracerX
08-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd say Uni I run them for motocross and they are super easy to clean, they filter really good and flow better than stock. I've read many people won't use K&Ns because the extra flow lets dirt in.

bean2080
08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
i have a k&n and i love it, this is my second k&n on my second bike and i never had any problems with either of them. i ride XC type trails and the only problem i have is getting all the small leaves and everything caught in the fins. what i do with mine is, get some panty hose and put around the filter, it dont restrict the air any but it dont let anything get wedged in the slots in the filter.

08-27-2008, 01:31 PM
i'm rockin a K&N and I love it. I ride 95% sand and 5% clay and the K&N with outerwears made maintainance easier, more power, better protected than the stock filter. I run an outerwears on both the filter and over the top of the airbox now and it makes life simple. Sand and water that splashes up doesnt get to my filter and the outerwears is like a dust blocker. There are tons of debates against filters and it really comes down to what you ride in. Quad magazine did a write up about the 2 air filters and said if you ride sand get a K&N if you ride dust get a foam. You can alter the K&N with outerwears to keep the dust out as well. Don't tell me I backing up something because thats what I own because I have both K&N and UNI air filters in my garage and the K&N is for my riding the best setup.

hornetgod13
08-27-2008, 02:54 PM
It's that time again everyone. The monthly K&N/Uni debate.

johnnynonails
08-27-2008, 02:55 PM
i also run a k&n filter with what we call in the uk outerwears,on both filter and open airbox .i race mx tracks that are sometimes dusty and sometimes wet and the k&n with outer wears performs very well in both.my old ex had a uni filter,and it did the job,but i like the k&n better. john

REDRIDDER
08-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Like FoxHondaRider said you cant beat a K&N with a prefilter!

brian76708
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13

haha how true

mooseracerX
08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Yes that is so true. I really think we should have this sticky-ed in every topic forum.
How to Search a Three Letter Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282498)
BTW I didn't mean to come off rude or anything.

sc400ex_rider
08-29-2008, 06:31 AM
Ya dont start this again. they are both great filters. clean the k-n properly use the proper oil. dont try to use spray pam or something LOL

MtnEX
08-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
Yes that is so true. I really think we should have this sticky-ed in every topic forum.
How to Search a Three Letter Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=282498)
BTW I didn't mean to come off rude or anything.

Thanks for the link... I didn't know that about the search... LOL....
That will be very useful.

As for the K&N or UNI debate....
You know, you'd think there would be some tested proof.
I mean air filters are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.

You'd think there would be some testing on the actual filtering abilities... and in the process they would be tested to see how much they are able to flow.

I had mine hooked up and ended up with Yoshi and K&N.
It seems to do well as-is in a stock airbox setup... clean-wise.
It turns out I'm running too rich though... not jetted right I guess.
I'm running no lid to see how far off it is.
I'm glad it's been rainy because I've seen what a K&N looks like ran this way.

monkeyballs
08-31-2008, 02:44 PM
So how is it running in the rain?
Then what jets are u running right now. Cuz I just got the k&n and im going 2 take off my air box lid and I have a full yosh (no spark arrestor .. And they are saying 2 put the c clip on the 3rd notche down on the needle then run a 170 main jet and have the air mixture screw 3.5 turns out. I wonder if that will be ok?

And can u send me a link or somthing 2 a good after market air box.. Cuz I dont understand how a air box can be high preformance.

Then for sure.. I will always keep it nice and clean. Around here its the worst.. There is so much riding.. Mud, bush, sand, AND MORE MUD!, and watter..... lol

and btw I also got a pre charger with the filter.
ty

MtnEX
08-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
So how is it running in the rain?
Then what jets are u running right now. Cuz I just got the k&n and im going 2 take off my air box lid and I have a full yosh (no spark arrestor .. And they are saying 2 put the c clip on the 3rd notche down on the needle then run a 170 main jet and have the air mixture screw 3.5 turns out. I wonder if that will be ok?

And can u send me a link or somthing 2 a good after market air box.. Cuz I dont understand how a air box can be high preformance.

Then for sure.. I will always keep it nice and clean. Around here its the worst.. There is so much riding.. Mud, bush, sand, AND MORE MUD!, and watter..... lol

and btw I also got a pre charger with the filter.
ty

I wish I knew more about my own jetting so that I could guide you in the proper direction... But I don't know a thing about my carb settings. I didn't do the work.

All I know is that I am running too rich. Also, I ran into another guy on one of my rides that had a 400EX... he had one of those sweet aluminum airboxes that relocates your battery and wiring inside (looks soooo clean and would make dealing with fender removal/replacement easier).

Anyways, we were checking out each other's mods. He was running a K&N like mine in his airbox with no lid. His was NASTY compared to mine.

If you are going to run no airbox lid, the filter needs an outerwear cover on it to catch most of the mess.

There are also aftermarket outerwears for the box with no lid... there are aftermarket airbox lids with cutouts and outerwears built in... and I think even K&N makes one with a filter in a lid cutout.

To be honest with you, I don't even know how much you can really gain by opening up the airbox or getting a custom lid. I myself haven't noticed a lot of difference in mine with it off. Not enough for me to want to keep the lid off, or spend money to. I'd rather spend the money on a trick airbox with lid to relocate the battery, etc.. Might be because I am still a bit rich????

I don't know... yall can be the judge... my last plug reading showed everything black, but part of the center electrode is brown. It doesn't seem like I'd be that far off for me to be unable to judge the airbox lid difference.

monkeyballs
09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Mhm.. My k&n has a pre charger. Then if I take off the lid im going 2 put some panty hose on top lol. I hear it works wonders. If u ever figure out what you are runing it would be nice lol. Cuz u pretty much have the same set up as me... Then the guy that you talked 2, what mods did he have? well peace ty

09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
removing the airbox lid is a good gain if what your ride allows it. heres te gain on a stock 400ex just the lid removed and not even jetted. Notice the fall on top which can easily be cured by rejetting and it will be an all around gain over stock.

monkeyballs
09-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Awsome. But what do you mean by "what your ride allows"? And where do you get the charts? Ty

09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by monkeyballs
Awsome. But what do you mean by "what your ride allows"? And where do you get the charts? Ty

i meant if you ride in real watery places removing the airbox lid isnt the best idea. THe charts I have tons saved from all different test done that i've collected over a long period of time. its always good to have a dyno chart reference lol

slouis
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
what do you guys think about a pro design set up is it worth the extra money to get one

BlasterEaten250
09-10-2008, 04:45 PM
If you get a K&N make sure it is always clean before you ride and replace it when it starts showing signs of wear. Don't learn that the hard way

slouis
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
is it worth spending for lil over $100 for the foam air filter kit or should i just get a uni filter