PDA

View Full Version : blaster clutch

jonnyd350
08-27-2008, 11:11 AM
i am working on a blaster for a friend of mine right now. i have zero adjustment left in the cable and when you shift to first the quad jumps and stalls with the clutch lever pulled in all the way. time for new clutch?? thanks

yfzrider310
08-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I wouldn't buy a new clutch. My blaster had the same problem and all that it needed was an adjustment in the clutch (not on handlebars). I can't remember what the adjustment was but if you can figure it out it would save you the money of a new clutch.

86 Quad R
09-02-2008, 09:19 AM
do as mentioned. i usually adjust with the tolerances about as they would be for adjusting valves(about .004") and then lock the jam nut down. take this time to inspect things inside. inner hub, basket, plates and steels ect.

you may find that the plates may be sticking to the disks. this is common if the quad sets for a period of time.

jonnyd350
09-02-2008, 12:13 PM
yes i ripped it open before i bought a new one and the discs are like new, but they were all stuck together, how do i keep them from sticking? thanks

86 Quad R
09-02-2008, 12:27 PM
not sure. if there is a way. i'd like to know. it's a common thing if allowed to set for a while and i cant blame it on poor grade of oil. may be from moisture or something. :rolleyes:

jonnyd350
09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
yeah the oil was a bit milky

John451
09-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Ahaah i had the same problem on my blaster. You put the clutch pressure plate on wrong. There's a circle marking on the pressure plate and another one on the clutchh boss that you need to line up. Either that or adjust the handle adjustment all the way in and open the side cover and take thhe pressure plate off and loosen the nut on the outside of the middle which is 10mm and loosen it then turn the stud to screw it in towards the engine. ALSO BEWARE OF THE BALL!!! if you take the pressure plate out with the rod there's a ball in tere that rests on the pushrod for te clutch that ALWAYS falls out. so dont loose it, that might be your problem already. if the clutch just pulls in the ball's gone, if it doesnt pulll at alll its misaligned, if it pullls in like a clutch but doesnt work its thhe adjustment. After working on that, i can now take a blaster full of oil apart in 3.6 mins

jonnyd350
09-05-2008, 08:29 AM
thanks for all the replys, whats the best oil to use in the case on these?

John451
09-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd say problably 30w but, i just use that in mine because i can get it for $3 a gallon and it's a fix and sell quad.

It might say in the pdf repair/ maitnence manual that i have on my computer.. I can send you a copy if you want. I paid like $7 for it on ebay

fmftrx300ex
09-06-2008, 12:05 PM
i read somewhere how to lossen sticking clutch plates. im pretty sure u get ur clutch in a justment then slip the clutch by leting it out part way and hit the gas it should losten them but dont do that for more then a couple seconds or ull ned a new clutch