PDA

View Full Version : Tires

Fear250r
08-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm looking to get a new set of rear tires. I've been looking at the ITP GNCC tires and the Maxxis IRazr's. I like these two because of their more open lug design. I think a lot of other tires have lugs spaced too closely together, like the HD's and the Razr's.

Anybody have any experience with either? I do mostly trails with some mud mixed in and pits. We do have a small play track, but nothing to write home about. I liked that the ITP's have a 21" rear, but I thought I read somewhere that the 21" is actually closer to 20". Anywho, let me know what you think. Thanks

dynofox
08-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I've tried many different tires throughout the years and one of my favorite rear tires is the ohtus radials (stock tires on the 88-89 250R and 400ex). They have an open lug design for good clean out, slide well, are lightweight and ride nice. The only down fall is they are more puncture prone than the aftermarket xc tires which are mainly 6-ply. I'm currently running them in the rear with razr 2's on the front of my R, nice set up for the areas I ride (upstate NY trails).

250Renvy
08-27-2008, 06:23 PM
I've never ridden on them but you may want to consider the ITP tracstar. They are kind of like a radial and should have good cleanout. If I was in the market for an all around trail tire, I think I'd try them as they are a little more reasonably priced than the GNCC's which I hear wear quite quickly.

YFZRob
08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
I researched tires quite a bit for my 250R which had OEM Ohtsu rears and 450R OEM front Dunlops. It steered like crap and hooked up just okay. I needed a better set for deep ruts and some mud since I am now racing my 250R in hare scrambles. Well, the open lug spacing isn't a benefit in FL type terrain, maybe so in more clay type areas. I ended up going with the Maxxis Razr 2s F and R. WOW....these things hook!!! Before with the Ohtsus, I'd do a lot of spinning in 1st-3rd...now it hooks up and goes like a 4 stroke. Steering is night and day...the crappy 450R dunlops did NOTHING for the light front end of the 250R. I would always struggle to get the front end to point where I was steering it. Now it actually turns and still slides with ease....perfect for racing hare scrambles.

All250R
08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I was thinking about trying the ITP MXR6 in the rear. Has anyone tried it? I ride loose sandy desert if I'm not in the dunes. The stock ohtsu's are nice and light and are great for getting the tires spinning in a straight line, but they slide too much in that loose stuff. Braking is aweful and the rear wants to 180 on me too much for my liking... I want a light tire.

mineralgrey01gt
08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by All250R
I was thinking about trying the ITP MXR6 in the rear. Has anyone tried it? I ride loose sandy desert if I'm not in the dunes. The stock ohtsu's are nice and light and are great for getting the tires spinning in a straight line, but they slide too much in that loose stuff. Braking is aweful and the rear wants to 180 on me too much for my liking... I want a light tire.

ive used them in sand and in fields, let me say that they hook their *** off. I had a time trying to get them to break loose in a field I was riding in. My brother has them on his 250r now and he said they hook well with his 310

All250R
08-28-2008, 11:50 PM
cool thanks!

trx310R#24
08-29-2008, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by All250R

i would say go with 23" front 22" rear itp holeshot xct. thats what i got if i take a bike in the sand

Fear250r
08-29-2008, 01:07 AM
Any chance of getting back to the GNCC tires??