PDA

View Full Version : polishing the side cases

exrider2004
12-07-2002, 11:11 PM
can i leave the side cases on the quad and polish them i dont want to buy a new head gasket???....what have you guys polished before...and how do u take the clutch and break lever off to polish??

oregonrider89
12-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Why would you need to replace your head gasket if you removed your side cases? Just wondering.

oregonrider89

DantheEXman
12-08-2002, 02:13 PM
Any time you take the sidecases off... you need to replace the gasket in between the sidecase and the motor.

Chef
12-08-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
Any time you take the sidecases off... you need to replace the gasket in between the sidecase and the motor.

But thats not the head gasket...lol. Heres some motivation.,

12-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Alky472

But thats not the head gasket...lol. Heres some motivation.,

Sir, please refrain to posting obscene pictures, it really pisses a lot of members off.

ChadEXer
12-09-2002, 10:10 AM
I wouldnt try to polish them without taking the side covers off,,,that would make it hard and almost impossible to do a good job i would think,,,the side cover gaskets are pretty cheap so its best to just do it that way!
Are you talking about taking the clutch and brake lever off to get to the cases, or polishing the brake a lever themselves??? I wouldnt polish the brake lever and shifter, they are both steel,,,they would look OK but not for long,,,the best thing to do is just buy some aftermarket aluminum ones,,,,the same thing with the motor mounts,,,you can get some billet aluminum ones from UMI and they look sweet!!

Str8Wicked
12-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Most gaskets you can buy from your local dealer for 2-5 bucks........ Won't be bad at all

2k2-300exnj
12-09-2002, 02:20 PM
are the side cases aluminum?:huh
wouldnt they rust... if they are steel i dont want to do all that work for them to rust away

DantheEXman
12-09-2002, 02:35 PM
Aluminum doesent rust. And I think the break and clutch levers are aluminum.. I polished mine.. and they looked like chrome.. And they are very flexable so I dont think that they are steel.

zephead400ex
12-09-2002, 05:02 PM
are the side cases aluminum?
Are they?

Sparks425Ex
12-09-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by DantheEXman
Aluminum doesent rust. And I think the break and clutch levers are aluminum.. I polished mine.. and they looked like chrome.. And they are very flexable so I dont think that they are steel.

He is talking about the brake Pedal and the Shifter. They are not aluminum.

I think.:cool:

ChadEXer
12-10-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by NACS425Ex

He is talking about the brake Pedal and the Shifter. They are not aluminum.

I think.:cool: Yeah he was talking about the shifter and brake pedal, and they are made of mild stell, so they will definately rust if you take the paint off them and polish them,,,that why I got my a Pro Desigshifter and getting a Hinson brake lever!!

Extremeracer167
12-10-2002, 10:00 AM
good god i spent 2 hours polishing my oil filter cover. I couldnt imagine how long it would take to do a whole side cover!? Now i just need to put my filter cover to the buffing wheel and it will be done. Is it normal to have the real tiny scrathes in b4 the buffing process, or should those all be out by now??

OCCRA288
12-10-2002, 10:08 AM
ALKY's quads are trailer queens

J/K

ChadEXer
12-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
good god i spent 2 hours polishing my oil filter cover. I couldnt imagine how long it would take to do a whole side cover!? Now i just need to put my filter cover to the buffing wheel and it will be done. Is it normal to have the real tiny scrathes in b4 the buffing process, or should those all be out by now??
Yes you will still have tiny scratches before the buffing that will come out!! Im glad that STM Billet hooked me up:D They sent me this oil cover and i didnt have to polish my stocker,,it fits over the stock oil cover!!!

ChadEXer
12-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Here is the starter cover!!

Str8Wicked
12-10-2002, 03:36 PM
My RMW flammed skull billet oil filter cover looks much cleaner than that. Also if you polisher the stock starter cover it look much better than the cover they make to go over it. Or you can buy polished starter assemblies on E-bay for 65.00

I skrewed the first one up so I painted it red. Bought another starter cover for 20.00 from the dealer and than polished that one which came out great.

http://www.rmwbillet.com/ct_ihon-ofc-skull.JPG

ChadEXer
12-10-2002, 03:49 PM
I think the skull looks pretty cool but I personally like the ones I have a lot better, probably because they match the rest of the billet pieces on my bike and they are polished like a mirror, and maybe its because they were all free!!! Why does the stock cover polished look better than that one to you??? I definately dont think it does!!

Str8Wicked
12-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Like I always say.. If it's for free it's for me.... lol

As for flamed billet. It just looks trick instead of the usual billet every other company makes. I would have probably bought every piece they made if I didn't already have it from RIS... whi has killer billet as well.

As far as the stock starter covers looking nicer.... there is no contest. There is no way a flat cover will replace the rounded look of the stock starter cover. Have you polished a stock cover... it just gives off so much more than any of my billet pieces. Of coarse this is my opinion..... But just think about a stock case polished and a big piece of flat metal polished covering it. I'm sure the stock case would look nicer right?

To each his own