PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a Quad without a Title...

FATANDFAST
08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I see a lot of quads available with only a "Bill of Sale". What are the downsides of buying one of these?

wykyd450R
08-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Makes it hard to get rid of. May be stolen, may have a lein ( Where the bank, etc holds the title til its paid in full )against the machine. There has to be a reason why the owner wouldnt have the title, and most likely it's not cause they lost it.

Honda5
08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
all states don't have titles if you go to de. and buy a new one with cash you get a bill of sale from the dealer if you want to title it in md. you have to pay the title fee and the 6% sales tax that md. would have gotted if you bought it in md. and if you sell it to someone else in md. they pay 6% of the sale price on down the line. and alot of people go to wv. to get them also and I'm pretty sure they don't title them it's $500 I'll spend on goodies.

wykyd450R
08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I am also from Maryland, and I try to buy out of state to avoid the taxes. Every quad that I have ever gotten came with a certificate of origin atleast. Never bought one in Maryland thats new, so I dunno.

KBooth
08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
If you buy a new quad in new york when you register it they take the title and give you a transferable registration. So if you buy a quad with a bill of sale only you have to have the owner sign some papers saying that he has owned the quad for more than a year and its not stolen.

mojavedude
08-28-2008, 09:22 PM
(i think) with the right forms, you can get a new title too. i think the cops have to get the vin numbers off the quad.

guy310
08-29-2008, 05:24 AM
In Indiana you don't have to register your quad so you don't get a title. Saying that most quads without a title are stolen is a broad generalization that is not really true. I have had about 12 quads in the last 10 years some new and some old, and I have never had a title. If you buy a used one, use the same caution you would when making any large purchase. Get some info from the seller and get a VIN check. If they have a problem with you getting a VIN check, you probably don't want to deal with them.

mojavedude
08-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by guy310
Saying that most quads without a title are stolen is a broad generalization that is not really true.

true, ive bought 5 quads over the last few years and only 1 of them had a title, the rest the guy just wrote out something like "i (name) have sold (atv) to (buyers name) on (date) for ($)"

speedy00793
08-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Indiana now requires every quad to have a title. They changed the law a couple years ago. I believe its so they can tax them.

Originally posted by guy310
In Indiana you don't have to register your quad so you don't get a title. Saying that most quads without a title are stolen is a broad generalization that is not really true. I have had about 12 quads in the last 10 years some new and some old, and I have never had a title. If you buy a used one, use the same caution you would when making any large purchase. Get some info from the seller and get a VIN check. If they have a problem with you getting a VIN check, you probably don't want to deal with them.

drag93ex
09-12-2008, 11:50 AM
no title needed for ky, its just extra taxes youve got to pay. i have had 3 quads that at no titles, i sold all of them to people out of state who apparently had no issues either.

but i have heard that if you live in state that requires a title, your screwed trying to get rid of it. i have gotten smart, only buy quads that have titles!!

derekhonda
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by speedy00793
Indiana now requires every quad to have a title. They changed the law a couple years ago. I believe its so they can tax them.

Uhh...you sure on that?

drag93ex
09-13-2008, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by speedy00793

wrong

the Z Man
09-13-2008, 08:14 AM
Iowa requires title and registration, its like pulling teeth to get it without prior titles and the ladies down there will not budge....
And the dnr patrol the parks like the sheriff looking for dui's, if you roll it off the trailer with out registration its 80 bucks and you still can't ride...

WOLFPACK
09-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by drag93ex
wrong No, he is correct! Indiana as of January 2006 is requiring titles on everything. That means anything purchased new after that date, taxes will be collected by the dealer and a title will be issued by the state.

I'll never purchase anything without a title again. I bought a 2007 RMZ450 from guy (aroracer72) off this site and it turned out to be stolen. Now i'm out $5000.