PDA

View Full Version : Help checking timing chain and tensioner (external)

MtnEX
08-26-2008, 12:37 AM
I swear I read instructions here on how to do this, but can't find the post....

Something about you take the center screw out of the tension lifter "plunger"....

Turn the screw inside there with a mini screwdriver this way and that... and by how it responds you can tell what's good and bad.

Anyone???????????????????????????????????????????

fastredrider44
08-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Not sure what you are wanting to know.

REDRIDDER
08-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Does the spring in the tensioner have tension on it? really only thing to check/go wrong is the spring breaking.

blaaze416
08-26-2008, 09:12 AM
use a philips head to take out the screw 'cap' on the tensioner. Underneath is a small flat screw you'll turn to the left to release tension on the chain. when you let go of the flat screw, it should snap back to the chain guide to keep it tight. if it does not snap back, or you can turn it to the right....your tensioner is bad. dont try and force it to the right either!

MtnEX
08-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by blaaze416
use a philips head to take out the screw 'cap' on the tensioner. Underneath is a small flat screw you'll turn to the left to release tension on the chain. when you let go of the flat screw, it should snap back to the chain guide to keep it tight. if it does not snap back, or you can turn it to the right....your tensioner is bad. dont try and force it to the right either!

Yep... that's the instructions I was looking for.

Now what about the chain? Can you tell anything about it while doing this?

bean2080
08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
stick a flat head in there and just feel how loose it is. i changed mine about 3 months ago and thats what i did.

blaaze416
08-26-2008, 07:40 PM
about the only thing you can tell is if the chain is stretched more than the tensioner will extend/apply tension. I think the way to do this is to make sure the tensioner is tight on the chain guide, then take out the tensioner. If you can, put the flat head driver in the adjuster screw while you take out the tensioner.
If the flat head driver turns to the right as you loosen the tensioner bolts...your chain is not totally stretched out. Make sure to turn the adjuster screw back to the left before fully tightening the tensioner bolts, or you may damage the tensioner, chain or guide.
man...typing with one hand sucks! Broke my collarbone Saturday riding!! :macho