PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas. Custom mini for physically challenged

mcwilly
08-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Quick background. Our youngest son (Andrew) was born w/ a condition called Ulna Dysplasia. His hands were not completely formed. He has 1 finger on his right hand, and 2 fingers on his left. As if that wasnt enough for him to overcome, he is also unable to bend his arms because he was also born without elbows....he has one long bone from his shoulders to his wrists in both arms. (try going 5 minutes in your life without being able to bend your arms).
He will be 4 years old in December. Despite his challenges, he doesnt let it stop him from doing most anything. He rides a bike and fly's around on his 'hopped up' Powerwheels (double voltage and bigger/faster motors). He's wanting to follow in his older brother's footsteps and ride 4-wheelers. (his brother rides/races a DRR 50) We currently have an '07 TRX90EX ready and waiting for him when we (mom and dad) feel he's ready for it. Only problem is, it will have to be modified for him to ride it. That's where you guys come in. :D
I was thinking of a foot controlled throttle similar to what is used on the Powerwheels. The brakes could be used w/ the factory foot brake. They make an electronic shifter here (http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/) but I'm not sure how to incorporate all 3 (brakes, throttle, shifter) to be controlled by his feet. (he cant use hand brakes or a twist throttle) Any idea's? I know a LOT of you are creative when it comes to this kind of stuff and was hoping somebody could help. Thanks
Ryan

mcwilly
08-25-2008, 12:08 PM
this was taken last year....

Honda5
08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
thats a sharp looking boy. how about using something like a heel toe shifter for the rear brakes and throttle on the right and shifter and front brakes on the left all four levers would need tom work independent from eachother. and if you could find some bars that had a the shape of a set of harley ape hangers they would sweep more then turn.
I should have stayed in college with my design classes. I'm going to think some more about this and when I come up some more ideas I'll let you know.

mcrider29
08-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Cute boy. I do allot of fab work. Frame building an swing armsan things. We are more into drag racing. I am trying to understand what he can use. You said he rides an electric atv. So the challenge is just in the controls not the steering? He has no problem with using his feet for controls? Just trying to get a feel of what you are needing.

mcwilly
08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by mcrider29
Cute boy. I do allot of fab work. Frame building an swing armsan things. We are more into drag racing. I am trying to understand what he can use. You said he rides an electric atv. So the challenge is just in the controls not the steering? He has no problem with using his feet for controls? Just trying to get a feel of what you are needing.

Correct, it's the controls he has trouble with. He can steer just fine. The handlebars will probably get 'adjusted' for him (like mentioned above) to make it a little easier for him to control.

mcrider29
08-25-2008, 02:17 PM
I will do some thinking. Just off of my head my polaris scrambler uses a foot brake that controls front an back brakes. The throttle I have to think about. A simple foot one may not be the safest. I have to think about that one. It may be the only way you can do it.

etondaddy
08-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey man that's one good looking young man there......... I'm sure someone will come up with something to get my man rolling . There's a lot of smart fellows on this site (not me...lol) he'll be tearing it up in no time. Looks like the wheels are turning all ready.

Mike Kozura

drr5
08-25-2008, 04:49 PM
not sure if this will help but the older jetskis used a finger pull throttle which could be used on either side , like i said dont know if this will help, and if i can think of anything else i will post i hope we can help to make this happen for this little guy great to see he doesnt let it slow him down.

BradLoomis
08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
If you come off of the bottom of the right foot peg with a piano hinge, you could build a plate that will hinge and you could mount a standard thumb throttle against it to act as the thottle linkage. Do the opposite on the backside of the the peg for the brakes. And with the plates at the bottom of the footpeg, his weight would be on the footpeg and not on the plates. He also can't hit the gas and brakes at the same time. You can also put a spring on the throttle plate to increase the stiffness so that you are not relying only on the thumb throttle spring to return the throttle to idle. The shifter can be modified with a lever out the back, so that he only needs to push down on the left hand levers to engage and dis-engage the gears. If the front brakes are hydraulic, get a longer banjo bolt and marry the front and rear brakes together at the foot pedal. That way when he hits the brakes, all of the brakes will apply.

jetta75
08-25-2008, 06:16 PM
I would check out the Eton rover thread about 20 threads down. Foot operated gas/brakes and a steering wheel. They deff. look cool.

neveready
08-25-2008, 07:20 PM
We knew a guy who raced KTM Bikes the had only one hand and created a throttle device that he incorperated in a mouthpiece, the harder he would bite down the harder it would pull the throttle. Just another Idea, I'll keep thinking

etondaddy
08-25-2008, 08:21 PM
I knew we'd here from you Brad...... your the first person I thought of when I read the thread. This is right up your alley.

Mike Kozura

BradLoomis
08-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanx Mike!

Lord knows I've built enough off the wall mini quads, that I wouldn't know what to do if I had to build a straight forward race quad :eek2:

Bill Lemans
08-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Seems like foot brake on the right and foot throttle on the left with a mouthpiece shifter would be a good idea.
Have you considered getting a cvt to take the shifting out of the equation ? If that's not in the plan , it seems like keeping the quad design close to what he's got on his electric one would be the best bet, for now. Of course, these little ones adapt and learn so fast, maybe it doesn't matter.
:D
I'm assuming he needs his fingers for holding on so the possibility for a pushbutton shifter is out of the question ?

Like any other Dad who reads this , kinda makes me wish I could help with more than ideas.
With that being said, my back ground is in tool and die, cnc programming, and tooling design. I have access to cnc equipment, CadCam software,and all the manual machines needed to help. Please don't hesitate to drop me a message if you are in need of parts to get this stuff up and running. I realize this may be more of a fab job , but don't leave out any good ideas because of a possible need in any of the above areas.

I have my buddy's 2003 trx 90 to use as a guinea pig as well...

Bill Lemans

Bill Lemans
08-26-2008, 07:55 AM
So , get done writing that last post and decided to pose the idea to my kids.
Within minutes , my 10 yr. old son came up with an idea that seems to have merit and simple in theory.

Keep the stock foot brake where it is, and incorporate the shifter and throttle, independently, on the left side. Have a foot pedal on the floor board and fab up a shifter right above it. His reasoning is because you have to let off the gas to shift, you can use the same foot to shift.
So if you place the shifter above the gas pedal with enough clearance to get his foot in and out easily to upshift and downshift, it should be easy. As well as it's not much different than the regular quads except the foot pedal throttle.

Just throwin' it out there........:cool:

mcwilly
08-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by drr5
not sure if this will help but the older jetskis used a finger pull throttle which could be used on either side , like i said dont know if this will help, and if i can think of anything else i will post i hope we can help to make this happen for this little guy great to see he doesnt let it slow him down.

Great idea, but I dont think it would work for him. He'll need both hands and all his fingers on the handlebars at all times. ;)

If you come off of the bottom of the right foot peg with a piano hinge, you could build a plate that will hinge and you could mount a standard thumb throttle against it to act as the thottle linkage. Do the opposite on the backside of the the peg for the brakes. And with the plates at the bottom of the footpeg, his weight would be on the footpeg and not on the plates. He also can't hit the gas and brakes at the same time. You can also put a spring on the throttle plate to increase the stiffness so that you are not relying only on the thumb throttle spring to return the throttle to idle. The shifter can be modified with a lever out the back, so that he only needs to push down on the left hand levers to engage and dis-engage the gears. If the front brakes are hydraulic, get a longer banjo bolt and marry the front and rear brakes together at the foot pedal. That way when he hits the brakes, all of the brakes will apply.

Brad, I've had idea's along those lines as well. You're saying to 're-mount' the thumb throttle under the plate and use the pressure from the plate to engage the factory thumb throttle?

I would check out the Eton rover thread about 20 threads down. Foot operated gas/brakes and a steering wheel. They deff. look cool.

Jetta, I havent seen that thread. I'll check it out. Thanks

We knew a guy who raced KTM Bikes the had only one hand and created a throttle device that he incorperated in a mouthpiece, the harder he would bite down the harder it would pull the throttle. Just another Idea, I'll keep thinking

That's a cool idea, and definately one I never thought of. How did he do in 'close call' situations? I know I've had a few close calls myself and more than just my teeth were clinched. :D

mcwilly
08-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Bill Lemans
So , get done writing that last post and decided to pose the idea to my kids.
Within minutes , my 10 yr. old son came up with an idea that seems to have merit and simple in theory.

Keep the stock foot brake where it is, and incorporate the shifter and throttle, independently, on the left side. Have a foot pedal on the floor board and fab up a shifter right above it. His reasoning is because you have to let off the gas to shift, you can use the same foot to shift.
So if you place the shifter above the gas pedal with enough clearance to get his foot in and out easily to upshift and downshift, it should be easy. As well as it's not much different than the regular quads except the foot pedal throttle.

Just throwin' it out there........:cool:

Brad, a cvt is definately not out of the question. Actually, if need be, we're even open to the idea of ditching the Honda altogether to get an automatic quad if this turns out to be too difficult and/or costly.
I like your sons idea! Throttle and upshifting would work great, but I think he would have to physically lift his foot up off the peg to downshift. I'm not sure if there's enough upward foot travel to be able to push up on the shifter as well as pushing down to downshift. Make sense?

The Honda was originally bought for our older son to ride on local trails and tracks. Well, he decided he wanted to race. After adding up the costs to get the Honda 'race ready' we found it would cost just as much (actually less) to get him a DRR....so we bought one through Gary.
So, the Honda became Andrew's and we planned on modifying it for him. We COULD sell the Honda if need be in exhange for an automatic quad, but I'd still wind up having to mod the auto quad as well.

Guys, thanks for all of the input and ideas!

Bill Lemans
08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
That's a cool idea, and definately one I never thought of. How did he do in 'close call' situations? I know I've had a few close calls myself and more than just my teeth were clinched.

That's some funny stuff right there !!:D

I wonder if you could incorporate a toe pedal that allowed him to lift up and push down in the same space without having to lift up any higher to come down on the shifter.Kinda like they have on regular bikes . Non restrictive and safe.

BradLoomis
08-26-2008, 12:19 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc52/X-Stream_Composites/footcontrols.jpg

Sorry for the quick sketch, but here is the concept. I usually just build what is in my head alot quicker than trying to draw it out.

mcwilly
08-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Brad and Bill....your ideas comments made me realize I am making this over-complicated.
If I could somehow make a foot pedal (like Brad has pictured) that uses the existing throttle cable and works the same as the pedal on the powerwheels - it should work. (not necessarily using the thumb throttle, but a resitive, spring-back approach similar to clutch/brake levers) He would push down on the pedal (left foot) and the shifter would stay the same....as it is now. He would have to let off the pedal to shift anyway, so it shouldnt be a problem. Surely somebody's made and/or distributes such a foot pedal. The brakes would be controlled of course by the right foot pedal. I would modify it though so that it operates the front and rear (maybe a 40/60 ratio or 30/70, if able). I have tons of pics of his quad on Photobucket for reference, but they've blocked Photobucket for me at work now. :rolleyes: The floor boards would most likely have to be modified, but I think it would still work if I put on nerf bars instead.
I'm not TOO concerned about the shifting as of yet (him shifting). When he's ready, he'll learn the same way his brother did....I'll put it in second gear and let him stay in that gear. As he gets better/more comfortable, I'll begin teaching him shifting gears.

mcwilly
08-27-2008, 03:02 PM
link for a foot throttle (http://www.superioroutdoorpower.com/accessories.htm)

Still looking, but at least I know they're out there.

Bill Lemans
08-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Simple and easy.........if you can see it :D

http://www12.file-upload.net/thumb/28.08.08/qx1i4i.JPG (http://www.file-upload.net/en/view-1072977/pedal.JPG.html)

jerkyboy
09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
From the picture your son he has 2 fingers on his left hand .
Would it be possible to use a twist throtle just another idea.

mcwilly
09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jerkyboy
From the picture your son he has 2 fingers on his left hand .
Would it be possible to use a twist throtle just another idea.

Unfortunately, no. He has a Powerwheels 4-wheeler and dirtbike that have a twist throttle for use as a "turbo"....he has a tough time getting it to work (he has to use his forearm and somewhat rotate it back/down to get it to work). I've modified it so that the twist "turbo" is bypassed and works continuously.
Hard to explain, but if he uses his two fingers for twisting of the throttle, it takes away from his limited ability to steer/control with the handlebars. So not only is it difficult from a physical standpoint for him, it's also a safety issue as well.

Again guys, thanks for the input.
All of his Powerwheels are modified for more speed. I've doubled the voltage and added bigger motors and tweaked the gearboxes for him. :devil: I put rubber tires on his 4-wheeler Powerwheel so he can have more traction in the dirt and on hills. We took it out to his brothers race this past weekend and he was cruising all over the 'pit' area on it doing tricks. :D
His brother has a race this weekend, and they're allowing Powerwheels to race on the track durning each intermission, so that should be fun as hell for him.....he's ready. :macho

mcwilly
09-18-2008, 08:23 AM
http://images.craigslist.org/111148132ZZZZZZZZZ89hc6e7d725fbb11601.jpg

Does anybody know if Eton sells foot-brakes for this model (50cc)? (owner does not know year) I found this on CL for pretty cheap. He says its an automatic w/ only hand-brakes. I've seen some at the tracks (kids riding them in the pits) and it's just the right size for Andrew. I already have a lead on a foot throttle.
I know several of you are familiar w/ Etons and DRR's....anybody think the DRR foot-brake pedal could be mounted to an Eton?

BradLoomis
09-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I don't think that they would have a foot brake for it since it has mechanical brakes.

The DRR foot brake was actually first designed as a replacement for the Polaris hand brake assembly. I ran the cable over the top of the pivot and to the lever. It was then redesigned for the hydraulic brake assembly. You could also swap in a whole DRR axle / brake system.

Check your PM's for a screaming deal on a quad.

Ryko racing
09-18-2008, 11:47 AM
i think that a Kasea Brake pedal would possibly fit that little quad. Kasea had a foot brake with mechanical brakes, and youcould modify it to fit either or both sides and possibly use one for throttle and one for brakes

ZSK
09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
A little off topic but have you thought about prosthetic for his hands? My cousin was born with a similar condition that required amputation of both legs, she has only her thumb on her right hand but she has a normal left hand. She used to have a strap that when on her forearm would allow her to grasp objects with her right hand. Think like crab/lobster pinchers.

For your application what about something similar to a molded glove that attaches at the forearm? Allows him to better grasp the bars if the terrain gets a bit rough.

86trizinger
09-29-2008, 08:41 PM
I am no expert by any means... But couldn't you just go with a CVT engine.. No need for shifting..

You could run the rear brakes off of the existing brake pedal on the right side.. The fronts brakes could be run right with the rear brake but using balance bar so the brake biasing could be adjusted.

On the left side you could modify the thumb throttle or buy one from that link that was posted online... The only thing I would take into consideration is to make some sort of throttle cut if the brakes are applied.. That away he couldn't accidently hit the gas and brake...

I think this could be done in a weekend and be pretty reliable.. hardest part will be adjusting the brake BIAS.

mcwilly
09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ZSK
A little off topic but have you thought about prosthetic for his hands? My cousin was born with a similar condition that required amputation of both legs, she has only her thumb on her right hand but she has a normal left hand. She used to have a strap that when on her forearm would allow her to grasp objects with her right hand. Think like crab/lobster pinchers.

For your application what about something similar to a molded glove that attaches at the forearm? Allows him to better grasp the bars if the terrain gets a bit rough.

Yes, prosthetics have been discussed w/ my wife and I along w/ his doctors. Prosthetics are EXTREMELY advanced now. There are several (hand and arm prosthetics) that allow full movement from brain activity by leads connected to muscle fiber/tendons/activity in the person's chest muscles. It's still an open discussion but one that I feel should be more of his decision than ours (as his parents). But that's a discussion for another time. :D

I am no expert by any means... But couldn't you just go with a CVT engine.. No need for shifting..

We're on the same page. CVT is not ruled out, but as for now, I think we're gonna stick w/ the stock tranny and just leave it in 1st or 2nd gear until he learns the quad a little better. After he gets more comfortable we'll decide on what to do about the tranny.
I've been talking w/ the company that fabs the foot throttle found here (http://www.superioroutdoorpower.com/accessories.htm). They're made for any quad, but they have to have that particular quad on hand to work off of. He said he has a friend at a local Honda dealership that will let him borrow a 90EX to work with. I asked if it could be mounted on the left side instead of the right, and he doesnt think it will be an issue. So hopefully, soon we'll have the throttle portion squared away. Then it'll be time to work on braking and possibly adjusting the handlebars.
I cant stress it enough....thanks for all the input!

86trizinger
09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I would see if you can put some sort of throttle cut for when the brakes are applied.. That away if tires to stop without releasing the throttle the bije will cut out.

My 8 yr is just starting to ride the trx90 and he just puts it in 2 nd or 3 gear.. It has no problem starting off in third even with him weighing 70 lbs.

I'm glad your making some headways.

national #9
10-03-2008, 09:03 AM
would this work? for the throttle attach with a strap to his wrist with a lever that would work the throttle if he leans forward or back to release it. for the shifter you could use a lock out clutch like the big bikes do, and for the brake, an adapter could be made to work all 3 brakes from the stock foot brake. If you could make it simple, other kids could still use the bike, and it wouldn't cost alot for the conversion.

mxdad423
10-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Looks like alot of great idea's so far. I spoke to Dave Carter today and he told me he was going to put something togeather for you, just wanted to let you know you got the right man on the job, (Dave). If it can be done, and I think it can, Dave is the guy to get it done. Keep us all updated on the progress, can't wait to see that handsome little guy tareing it up.......

Kevin Smitley

mcwilly
10-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by national #9
would this work? for the throttle attach with a strap to his wrist with a lever that would work the throttle if he leans forward or back to release it. for the shifter you could use a lock out clutch like the big bikes do, and for the brake, an adapter could be made to work all 3 brakes from the stock foot brake. If you could make it simple, other kids could still use the bike, and it wouldn't cost alot for the conversion.

Sorry national, I somehow missed your post.
The strap's not a bad idea either. Only thing that concerns me would be if he was 'jolted' forward for some reason….thus causing the bike to accelerate.
The lock-out clutch….do you mean something similar to the Rekluse clutches?
The brakes (all working from the single foot brake) is definitely part of the plan.

mcwilly
10-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by mxdad423
Looks like alot of great idea's so far. I spoke to Dave Carter today and he told me he was going to put something togeather for you, just wanted to let you know you got the right man on the job, (Dave). If it can be done, and I think it can, Dave is the guy to get it done. Keep us all updated on the progress, can't wait to see that handsome little guy tareing it up.......

Kevin Smitley

Yes sir. Dave and I spoke over the phone yesterday afternoon. He sounded genuinely excited to be part of it.
The feedback from the boards has been overwhelming. Thanks again, guys.
I told Andrew yesterday that we were gonna start working on his 4-wheeler so he could ride it....to say he was thrilled is an understatement.

jread14
10-15-2008, 08:38 PM
Ryan,

This is awesome! I am glad to see that you have something going for the little guy. I cant wait to see him out there getting with it.

mcwilly
10-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by jread14
Ryan,

This is awesome! I am glad to see that you have something going for the little guy. I cant wait to see him out there getting with it.

LOL, you looked at me like I was crazy when I first mentioned this to you (at North Forty, I think). I meant to call you yesterday but I left my cell in my truck. Wife and I are pretty excited.
He's won two races at a track by the house on his Powerwheels...he's starting to get an ego. LOL
I'll give you a call this afternoon.

jread14
10-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Still waiting on that call... How has Jacob been?

That little boy can ride a powerwheel like nobodys buisness, and these older boys had better get ready for when he gets on the real thing....

I dealt with that ego thing for a short time this year. You know me though, it didnt take long to break him of that... I made sure he saw me taking pictures of his quads, and when he asked me what I was doing I told him that I had people wanting to see more pics of them... He kinda sat there for a minuite and said why do they want to see pictures of them. That is when I told him due to his attitude I have decided to sell them. Needless to say, it is amzing how quick they can change their attitude! Kind of a cruel trick, but hey it works... HAHAHA!!!

national #9
10-22-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly
Sorry national, I somehow missed your post.
The strap's not a bad idea either. Only thing that concerns me would be if he was 'jolted' forward for some reason….thus causing the bike to accelerate.
The lock-out clutch….do you mean something similar to the Rekluse clutches?
The brakes (all working from the single foot brake) is definitely part of the plan.
the strap, would only be attached to his wrist, so it would be similar to riding with a twist throttle, he wouldn't actually be attached to the quad by it so all he would have to do is turn his wrist to release it, it could also be attached by velcro so it would be break away on the event of a crash. The clutch could be like the rekluse, or search the pit bike web sites all of their parts fit the trx.

dcarter
11-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Hey Ryan i spoke with jarod last night and he has a truck coming to dallas today and he can pick up the quad, give me a all and we can get the bike up here. thanks dave

mcwilly
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
Andrew will be riding soon enough! Dave called me this morning to tell me that the 4-wheeler is ready to ride! :macho
Dave, honestly, I cannot thank you enough for all you've done for us. You have no idea how much this means to my entire family. THANK YOU!
And thank you to everybody who offered their input and ideas for this project!
We'll be making a road trip this weekend to pick it up.
Here's a couple of pics that Dave sent me. I'm hoping he'll chime in here and I'll let him fill you guys in with all the details.
And Gary, a special thanks too you to with your help in getting the nerf bars to Dave!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/HONDA1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/HONDA2.jpg

dcarter
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
hey Ryan, i can not waite to meet you and your family this weekend. I think he will be happy with the set up, if i can ride it any one can. Have a great week and i will see you this weekend. dave

ww228king
11-17-2008, 12:59 PM
this story has been awsome... i would not be suprised it makes it to the tv.. great going

jread14
11-17-2008, 01:51 PM
DC,

What you have done for this special little boy is remarkable. The great thing about it is that I think you are more excited about it than anyone. Every time I have spoken with you about it you can hear the smile on your face in your voice. Your dedication to this sport has really made it a no brainer for me when it comes down to buying the inovative products you have designed.

Ryan,

Cant wait to see the little buddy in action.

mxdad423
11-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Dave,

Again another great job, the set up looks great and looks like it is going to work really well for the little guy. I wish I could be there to see the smile on the little guys face when he gets on it, that will be priceless.
I am proud to have my son as one of your riders, the things that you do for all the little guys and gals in this sport is AWSOME, and taking the time to fix up this little mini for that little guy is really a CLASS ACT and shows what kind of person you are. Keep up the great work.
For those of you that don't know Dave, if you ever have a chance to meet him or do bussiness with him please don't hesitate, he is a great person and always goes out of his way to help. Brandon and I would be lost without him, Thanks Dave.

Ryan,
Please keep us updated on the little guy, get some pics up of him, I can't wait to see him tareing it up on that machine, again that will be priceless. Have a safe trip up to Green Brier, AR this weekend. I know Dave is really excited to meet your family, I talk to him on a daily basis and that is all he has been talking about.

Kevin Smitley

:) :) :)

Nichols Atvs
11-17-2008, 07:41 PM
GO ANDREW ----GO ANDREW---------- ITS YOUR BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!:D :D He will have a great time Im sure. Post up some video we all want to see the smile on your boys face when he first sees it and that first ride. Dave the work is awesome .

Heath Nichols

lilman
11-19-2008, 12:26 PM
this has been great my son damon has read it as well,he had some good ideas as well . hats off to all who got involved when he read this he said when we upgrade its has to be done by dave! i must agree.

dcarter
11-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Okay everyone,
here is the skinny on the foot controls. The set up was really simple to do after we got the nerfs on the bike and about a half of a dozen diet coke's. The reason the foot controls come out the front of the bike was because i could not run it out the back or he would not have been able to change a sprocket with out removing the gas pedal assembly. Ryan sent me a picture of andrew with his foot on the foot peg of his brothers bike that is how i knew where to put the pedal. The pedal assembly looks tall, but i had to do this to get the right ratio. I did not want andrew to have to push the pedal down to far because that would make it to easy for his foot to slip off the pegs. The mounting plate has a peice of tube cut in half in the front and it slips over the front tube where the nerf bar bolts on, the rear bolts into the factory plate. The pedal assembly bolts into a cross tube that has bearings in it so that it will move freely and not bind up(we would not want him going for a ride at mach 1 with the throttle stuck wide open). I set the assembly up just like a thumb throttle the pedal has a slot machined in it and the cable holder has a threaded bung so that the throttle can still be adjusted just like the factory. i shortened the shifter and also told ryan we could do a heal shifter if needed. The rear brake was reworked to line up with the nerfs on the right side. Matt my youngest son rode it around in the shop wednesday and said it worked great. I am really excited to meet andrew and his family doing the project reminded me why i got into this sport in the first place and that was the love of quads and meeting people and having fun. Ryan have a safe trip and i will see you sunday. Dave

mini racer #39
11-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Dave you give new meaning to the Miracle Worker!!! With the Holidays right around the corner I am sure that you will get more then a lump of coal from Santa this year!!! :D :D :D

11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Dave you have got to be the biggest HEARTED man i have ever heard of . You have got all of my RESPECT. Good Things Come To Those Who Do Good Things but You Did Great Things for Andrew, Wow,

dcarter
11-24-2008, 06:42 AM
it is done!!!!!!!!!! Ryan and his family came up yesterday and i got to meet andrew and jacob!! When he hooped on the bike he was really excited then i noticed his feet liked 3" from reaching the foot pegs, i did not say anything but my brain went into overdrive on how to make changes. After a diet coke and a little time we came up with an idea we made some riser's for the pegs and the gas and brake pedal . It was so so so cool watching andrew on the bike!!!! I had the best time with the whole family and andrew loved our puppies!!! I can not wieght to see video of him blasting around the track. i will try to get a few pic;s up later today. Dave

mcwilly
11-24-2008, 09:00 AM
You beat me to it, Dave. :D
I'm gonna let all of you guys in on a little secret about DC motorsports. Dave's younger son is actually the one who runs the show. :p
Dave, it was great meeting you and your family and getting to hang out for a while. Andrew asked me 3 times on the way home if his 4-wheeler was still in the back of the truck. And when we stopped for gas, he wanted to get out and sit on it again. :D
I know you're probably tired of hearing me say it, but again, THANK YOU.
When we got home last night, we all went straight to bed. I'll try to get some pics up tonight after work.

Nichols Atvs
11-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Cant wait !! for the pics and video!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

mcwilly
11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Most of them came out really blurry for some reason.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/img_0612.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/img_0616.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/img_0627.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/img_0639.jpg

etondaddy
11-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Cool stuff...........

Mike Kozura

Nichols Atvs
11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Thats some good photos right there blurry on not that will always be a special day to remember. Good luck in your future riding .

mcwilly
12-01-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanksgiving morning, Andrew wanted to "ride the 4-wheeler around the block". So he and I took off for a ride. I steered for the first half while letting him operate the gas and brakes. We mostly worked on stopping. He had it wound out a few times in first gear. A throttle stop is definitely next on the list! :D I let him steer the 2nd half of the ride. He worked the gas, brakes and steering all on his own (with my hands hovering the grips). He was pretty damn excited, to say the least.
:macho

ww228king
12-01-2008, 02:17 PM
that is awesome!!!.... i bet that is all he talk about now... lol
That is just great...

12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
McWilly I am glad to hear Andrew has got to ride his quad. I bet he enjoys every minute of it. You and and Dave have made Andrews year or maybe even years. Your an awsome dad and for you Dave you are just full of heart. I bet Andrew will never forget you. Happy Holidays McWilly and Family and to you to Dave and Family.

mcwilly
02-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Well, I FINALLY got around to getting some decent pics of Andrew and his DC custom quad. :D We're still slowly getting him accustomed to riding the quad. As of now, he loves to control the gas and brakes while I handle the steering. A few weeks ago, we got him some Fox riding gear and he wears it just about everyday. When we took him to try on his boots, he wore them the entire day...from the time he tried them on in the store until he had to get ready for bed. :D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1176.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1147.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1128.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1117.jpg

etondaddy
02-23-2009, 09:30 AM
Great pics.............that is so cool.

Mike Kozura

mxdad423
02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Those are some great pics, glad to see the little guy enjoying his new ride. Keep the pics coming.

Kevin Smitley

mcwilly
02-23-2009, 09:43 AM
As most of you know, Dave was also in talks with Mark at Fox Shox. When Mark heard what Dave had done, he wanted to be involved as well. So he sent a set of Fox Air shox for Andrews quad. :eek2: I cant believe the difference in the ride with these shocks! Andrew had no idea what they were when they arrived but he was excited as hell. LOL

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1164.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1156.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1173.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1170.jpg

mxdad423
02-23-2009, 09:57 AM
That is AWSOME, I have been dealing with Dave for about 5 years and Mark for a couple of years. They are 2 class act guys, they really treat us good, glad to see both of them involved in your boys project.

Kevin Smitley

ZSK
12-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Updates?

tri5ron
12-22-2009, 05:37 PM
As the father of a special needs child myself, I can not begin to describe how FANTASTIC, reading this thread has made me feel.

Even though this is a year old, it is still one of the best things I've read all year, and I'm glad I saw it.

To EVERYONE who was involved in this project, to make this happen for a special little dude, I commend you.

Hero's don't come around very often, and they usually don't think of themselfs that way,.. but YOU GUY'S, are certainly in the HERO catagory in my book !

This is ABSOLUTELY the COOLEST thing I have seen, and you guys made it happen. High 5's to ALL of you ! This is AWESOME !

if any of you are ever in So. Cal., please look me up, send me a PM, or email. I'd LOVE to shake your hand, and buy you dinner. heck, if it could work out, a camping trip, and good quad ride, are on me. I MEAN IT !!!

I am in the process of setting up a quad for my own special needs son, and we are just about there.
All I need is one more sprocket, and my boy will be hitting the trails with us this spring. I can't wait !

I am also looking forward to hearing how this has developed for Andrew. so please post up some more pics, and even better yet, some vids !

This is BY FAR, the BEST Thread I have EVER read on this Forum.
You GO Andrew, and you too Jacob !

mcwilly
12-23-2009, 10:57 AM
lol my favorite thread. Yeah, we’ve got lots of updates. Andrew’s been riding his quad every chance we get (me riding with him). Not so much in the past few weeks because of the weather though. A couple of months ago I talked to Kenny Vaughn from Kfab (he lives not too far from me) about my other son’s DRR and we got to talking about Andrew’s quad. (He knew what Dave and everybody else was doing/did for us). Andrew was having a hard time reaching the handlebars. When we’d ride, he’d control the gas and brakes (mostly just the gas):eek2: while I took care of the steering. After looking over the quad, Kenny wanted to make a set of custom handlebars. He made them out of stainless steel (looks cool since it matches the frame) and brought them back 4” and lowered 1”. We put new grips and a bar pad on and all was set.
Dave came down to Texas for one of our local TQRA races. It’s all Andrew talked about for the weeks leading up to the race. We got to hang out with Dave, his wife and youngest son for the weekend. Andrew and I rode around the pits on his quad with him controlling the steering, gas and brakes. The TQRA coordinators even let me out on the track with him to let us ride the practice session with the mini quads. After practice was over our TQRA pro rider and sponsor Johnny Hale gave Andrew a trophy and an autographed jersey. (Jason, Kelly, Dara do you still have the pics?)
He’s met pro riders Cody Miller, Hunter Miller and Thomas Brown a couple of times before and they were at the race as well. He got to see them again as well as Chase Snapp, Caleb Moore and the bomb squad crew. He snagged a few more autographed posters and had them all sign his favorite dvd movie….Transformers…which got some pretty good reactions from the riders. :D Thanks again, guys. He (as well as my older son, Jacob) really look up to you guys.
He turned five earlier this month and he is DETERMINED that he’s going to race this coming season. We plan on practicing more with him and see how it goes.
I'll try to get some more pics up over the holidays.
I know everybody's tired of hearing me say it, but THANK YOU again to everybody involved.

etondaddy
12-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Good deal.....Merry Christmas guys

I'm parting out Kyles trx90....if you need something let me know. I'd like to help if I can.

Mike Kozura

dcarter
12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
hey tri5ron if youneed any help with the set up for your bike let me know and i will try to help. i have some new cad software that really helps me out and i can do more now, so if i can help cive me a call. dave

etondaddy
12-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by dcarter
hey tri5ron if youneed any help with the set up for your bike let me know and i will try to help. i have some new cad software that really helps me out and i can do more now, so if i can help cive me a call. dave
I thought you were done with this site.......:devil: :devil:

Just kiddin Dave Happy Holidays from all of us at KMK Motorsports

Missy, Mike, & Kyle #5

dcarter
12-30-2009, 05:39 PM
hey mike are you going to run the north part of the nat's next year? if you do lookme up if you have any problems i will be there with our welding set up and more machine tools next year. tell kyle if he has any problems to look me up. dave

mcwilly
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM

The TQRA coordinators even let me out on the track with him to let us ride the practice session with the mini quads. After practice was over our TQRA pro rider and sponsor Johnny Hale gave Andrew a trophy and an autographed jersey.

I was given this pic last weekend from the above mentioned race...thought I'd share.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/ALL031.jpg

mcwilly
03-08-2010, 04:26 PM
practicing with the mini's

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/ALL022.jpg

mcwilly
03-08-2010, 04:27 PM
At the gate....

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/ALL001.jpg

dcarter
03-10-2010, 02:43 AM
hey dad, is that some new protype googles you are wearing on the track? man andrew is growing! how is my buddy doing this year. does he still want to sleep in his riding gear? Tell him i will make it done this year to watch him. Dave

airmobile101
03-10-2010, 04:45 AM
As most of you know, Dave was also in talks with Mark at Fox Shox. When Mark heard what Dave had done, he wanted to be involved as well. So he sent a set of Fox Air shox for Andrews quad. :eek2: I cant believe the difference in the ride with these shocks! Andrew had no idea what they were when they arrived but he was excited as hell. LOL

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1164.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1156.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1173.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/IMG_1170.jpg
Are those Fox shocks for mountain bikes? That quad looks sweet with those on there.

dcarter
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
yes those shocks were pulled right out of the race trailor and sent to us. mark was so help ful with this. i can not say enough good things about mark and fox. dave

AK321
03-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Thats a pretty sweet shock set up there David. And to the boy and his father, I hope every thing turns out good to get him out there. Im glad to see that nothing will stop him.:cool:

mcwilly
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by dcarter
does he still want to sleep in his riding gear? Tell him i will make it done this year to watch him. Dave

:D Pretty much. He woke us up last weekend at 6am wearing all of his gear asking if it was time to head to the track.
I'll tell him when it gets a little closer.....otherwise he'll be asking every race if you're gonna be there! lol

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/122738501_iSpjnsBn_3051.jpg

dcarter
03-18-2010, 02:26 AM
when we have our first two week break in the nat's i will try my best to come down! good luck this year. dc

mcwilly
11-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Just thought I’d give an update as it was a huge weekend for Andrew.
Last week I sent Dave a text telling him not to be surprised if he got a phone call from Andrew Saturday evening because Andrew was going to be in his first official race.
Rewind back several weeks ago. We were at a local track by our house for our oldest son to get some seat time. We always take Andrews quad with us and I usually ride around the pits with him or sometimes on the makeshift kids practice track with him at the controls. This night he wanted to try to ride the quad on his own. He’d never ridden it by himself up to this point. I put the quad in 1st gear and several times I had him start then stop after 10ft or so. Then I would walk/jog and have him follow me doing “figure 8’s”. After a few minutes of this, he wanted to try the kids track. I put it in 2nd gear and ran behind him the entire lap in case he decided to get out of control or too fast I could grab him or tell him to slow down. He rode flawlessly. The second lap I caught my breath lol and let him go on his own (we were the only ones on the track) while I would walk to certain points in the track to keep my eye on him. Again, flawless. He rode 3 or 4 laps by himself. After that, he wanted to ride on the main track. The track was empty so he headed out. He rode the entire track no problem. Before he went out he told me “I’m going to just learn the track first” (I tell his brother that each time we go to a race before practice). He wound up doing 3 laps.
Since then, everytime we go out there to practice, Andrew gets his laps in as well and he’s now riding around in 3rd gear. A couple of weeks ago he wanted to ride the trails by our house. So I got on my quad and we rode in the woods. He rode everywhere I did with no trouble. We rode for nearly two hours on the trails.
Last week (Halloween weekend) there was a race at the local track (same one) and Andrew wanted to race. I talked to the track owner and she said she would talk to the parents of the dirt bike training wheels class to see if they were ok with him riding a quad in their class. In the meantime, he could ride the track at intermission, which he did…..but he only rode one lap because they were having “pit trick-or-treating” at intermission and he didn’t want to cut into his candy time.
This past week I talked to the owner and she said to bring him out and she’d let him race w/ the training wheels class. He was excited as hell and talked about it all week. They combined classes so he raced w/ the pee wee and training wheels classes. There was one other kid in the training wheels class. He got the holeshot against him in both motos. At one point he tried to pass Andrew on a straight (wich made me nervous as hell) but Andrew floored it to stay ahead. I told the kids dad that I was going to have Andrew pull off to let his son pass so they wouldn’t accidentally get tangled up. I stopped him and the kid went around. 10 seconds later, Andrew passed him back in a turn LOL, so much for that.
For the 2nd moto I told the other father that I would hold Andrew at the gate so his son would get out front….again, I didn’t want them to get tangled up. (They bumped wheels at the start of the first moto….the track is geared towards dirtbikes so I’m trying not to step on any toes and keep other parents’ nervousness to a minimum as well as mine) The gate dropped for the 2nd moto and I’m holding the grab bar as the other bikes take off. Andrew is flooring it trying to figure out why it’s not going. After they get 10-20 feet out, I let him go…..and he passed him again for the holeshot LOL. He jumped a little bit on a jump and I had to get on to him to slow down but other than that, he did great! He came off the track so excited he could barely get the words out quick enough. He was going to call Dave on the way home, but he was asleep in the truck before we made it to the road. I called Dave and told him about it this morning.
Yesterday he learned how to ride his bike without training wheels. Took all of two tries. After that he was riding around everywhere like he’d been doing it for years. I bought him a new bike a couple of weeks ago and modified the neck and handlebars so he could hold on better….his old spiderman bike was just too tough for him to control.
I got lots of video, I just need to upload it. Sorry for the long read, but it was a HUGE weekend for him.
Thanks again to everybody that helped out!!!!
HUGE thanks to Dave Carter and Kenny Vaughn for their time and awesome fab work!

etondaddy
11-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Good deal that just made my day......... Andrew you are the man, keep it up dude.

Mike Kozura

tri5ron
11-08-2010, 11:57 AM
McWilly,
I can not begint to describe to you how TOTALLY COOL I think that is !
I know that us big tough guys don't cry,... But I'll be honest with you here,
I was starting to "tear-up" a little bit, about halfway through your post, lol!
you must be the absolutely PROUDEST Dad on the PLANET !!!
I SO wish we lived closer, and could have Andrew and Nickolas ride together ! That would be Awesome !
(can you imagine just how much of a "Chick Magnets" they would be together ??? LOL !)
but seriously,

Please give Andrew a message for me,...
tell him he is FANTASTIC, and tell him he is one of my best-est-est Hero's !
Tell him he makes Mr. Incredible, look like a Mama's boy ! LMAO !

Also tell him that I would LOVE to have an autographed picture of him to frame and hang it Nickolas' room.

MAN, what a GREAT STORY,.... You Deffinately made my day,

Andrew ROCKS !!!

Ron

p.s. (on edit)...
I don't know if you saw the post I made a while back,..
But last time we were out, Nickolas DID A 8 MILE RIDE !, with Me and Cameron !.
( So that just may make you, the SECOND proudest dad on the Planet ), :D

etondaddy
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Ok you were man enough to bring up the tear-up part....lol

I did to..........

Great job buddy

Mike Kozura

CJM
11-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I got teary eyed reading it too, good stuff. Everyone deserves thanks here for helping your son, good job to all but especially mcwilly for enabling his son to take part in something he wont ever forget.

:cool:

mcwilly
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
McWilly,
I can not begint to describe to you how TOTALLY COOL I think that is !
I know that us big tough guys don't cry,... But I'll be honest with you here,
I was starting to "tear-up" a little bit, about halfway through your post, lol!
you must be the absolutely PROUDEST Dad on the PLANET !!!
I SO wish we lived closer, and could have Andrew and Nickolas ride together ! That would be Awesome !
(can you imagine just how much of a "Chick Magnets" they would be together ??? LOL !)
but seriously,

Please give Andrew a message for me,...
tell him he is FANTASTIC, and tell him he is one of my best-est-est Hero's !
Tell him he makes Mr. Incredible, look like a Mama's boy ! LMAO !

Also tell him that I would LOVE to have an autographed picture of him to frame and hang it Nickolas' room.

MAN, what a GREAT STORY,.... You Deffinately made my day,

Andrew ROCKS !!!

Ron

p.s. (on edit)...
I don't know if you saw the post I made a while back,..
But last time we were out, Nickolas DID A 8 MILE RIDE !, with Me and Cameron !.
( So that just may make you, the SECOND proudest dad on the Planet ), :D

:D Thanks Ron!
Yeah, I read and remember the thread....I think I posted in the thread. That's when he kept falling asleep at the wheel, right? LOL classic

Mike, thanks. We were just talking about you the other day at my house...I was showing the wife the grab bar on Kyles 300 build. Is his arm all healed up?

CJM, thanks! Enabling? Nah, I dont have a choice, I'm just trying to keep up with him! LOL

etondaddy
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM

Mike, thanks. We were just talking about you the other day at my house...I was showing the wife the grab bar on Kyles 300 build. Is his arm all healed up?
Man your welcome...... yea we love the grab bar. Yep arms all good, after the arm we went racing and the motor came apart....wow what a year. He just got done with two months of soccer and now he's got a girlfriend.......oboy here we go.

I am so happy for Andrew......I know how you feel it's a dad thing.

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/img001.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/img010.jpg

Bill Lemans
11-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Been outta the quad seen for awhile and haven't been on here in over a year-divorce sucks......

Anyway, I was still getting email updates and re read this whole post and it literally brought a tear to my eye.It's truly remarkable to see people pull together from around the country and states to help this young man. It defines the term "humanity". I can honestly say that it's the people like the members on this site that make the world a better place!
Everyone involved from Dad /family to someone with a vote of encouragement have impacted this boys life forever.
Not only in the present, but when he fully realizes the scope of the magic performed by giving selflessly, after reading these posts 10 yrs. from now. It will ,without a doubt, help him to become a compassionate and selfless person in his own right-once again making Dad and Mom even more proud....if that's even possible!! lol:D

Congradulations to all involved.It's awesome, just awesome!
This is the stuff that should be on the news and tv shows, not the other silly crap:D

Just my .02

Oh and mike, i was chuckling at your soccer pics....here's Zach's. bad pic but green and white
:)

etondaddy
11-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Glad to here from yea Bill…….. hope all is as well as it could be.

Yea man the people of this forum are incredible, always have been. It feels good to know there’s still good people left in this world.

Hey Mcwilly ware’s the latest pics…..???

Yea Bill love the colors…… there growing up fast. We had his soccer banquet last night it was the first year in Giebel Catholic High School boys soccer team history they made the playoffs. I’m proud of all of them.

Mike Kozura

CBRSLIDER
11-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Awesome story!!!!!

Mcwilly you make me proud of you!! As a father of a little girl with limb deficiencies, I too am struggling to think about how to enhance her life. Your story has given me inspiration to work on giving her the wonderful experience of atving that I was so thankfully given as a child. Though my daughter is only 3, she sees her two older brothers riding their quads and wants to ride. I worry and struggle with how I can make that happen for her when she finally gets to that age.

To see how these wonderful people pulled together for you, show's that even though we constantly see the bad things going on in our world, we still have heros among us. My hats off to all you guys for taking the time and effort to help this young man experience life to it's fullest. Seeing a smile on a child's face is the most wonderful thing in the world. YOU GUYS DID IT!!!

"I know that us big tough guys don't cry,... But I'll be honest with you here,
I was starting to "tear-up" a little bit, about halfway through your post, lol!"
****I read this post from start to finish while sitting here at work and began to tear up. Nothing like the big tough guy in full uniform with tears in my eyes. When it comes to our kids and kids in general, I think that we all have a special place in our hearts for them. Tough or not, we feel for them.

I think that in Andrew's case, after hearing his story, we all have learned that he's a special person that will achieve greatness in life. His and his family's determination will affect positively on so many lives around them. Just look at the effect it has had on all the people just here on this website. Best of luck to Andrew and his family.

Dave, words can't explain how I feel about your efforts to help these kids. It seems that it's not only in Andrew's case that you have touched the lives of kids and their family's. The world was blessed when the good Lord gave us someone like you. I can only imagine the satisfaction you feel when helping these people. All I can really say is Thanks.

Have a great day everyone.

Ray

mcwilly
11-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by etondaddy
Glad to here from yea Bill…….. hope all is as well as it could be.

Hey Mcwilly ware’s the latest pics…..???

Mike Kozura

My computer decided to die on me…I’ve got a friend fixing it for us. In the meantime we’re using one of our neighbors laptops. I’ll see about getting some pics/videos up one day this week hopefully.
Bill, good to see you around again! Sorry to hear about the divorce.
CBRSLIDER, shoot me a PM!

mcwilly
03-15-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, Andrew had his first race with our local series TQRA (Texoma Quad Racing Association, www.tqra.com) this past weekend in Oklahoma at Valley Motorsports MX track. Unfortunately I had to work on Saturday so I wasn’t able to make it for practice, but my wife stepped up to the plate and hauled my truck, trailer and two quads from Dallas. I was a little concerned about him being out on the track with all the mini’s (there were a lot out there) but Andrews good friends, pro rider, Johnny Hale and youth rider Cory Gonzalez took turns riding behind Andrew during practices. Thanks guys! He was exhausted after the first practice so he sat out the second one. But after that, he rode every round of practice even after his older brother and friends had called it a day.
I left straight from work on Saturday and arrived at the track that evening before heading to the hotel.
Sunday morning was race day. He got in his two pre-race practice laps in and looked good. He wasn’t nervous at all, he was just ready for the race to start. He raced the Pee Wee Jr. class and was gated with his brother in the Pee Wee Sr. class. Andrew raced against another boy on a DRR 50 and got 2nd place. Surprisingly, he came off the track upset with 2nd place because he swore he was faster than the other kid lol. He went 2-2 for his moto’s. After the finish of the second moto I caught him after the finish line to ride me back to the pits when everybody cheered and clapped for him before he waved to the crowd lol.
Later during the day he had a quick interview over the intercom about his race….when I say quick, I mean all of his answers were either “yes” or “no” lol.
To say he had fun is a HUGE understatement. He’s already talking about next weekend’s race and wanting to practice more.
Special thanks to the TQRA family for everything they did this weekend to make this a success!
I’ll be uploading video later this week……

etondaddy
03-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow that's cool....... tell him we all said great job here at KMK Motorsports.

Mike, Missy, & Kyle #5

nordic quad
03-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Well done Andrew.looking fovard too see the video.Sounds like he really loves riding,he has comed a long way.
Stein A
Wiik Hansen Racing

tri5ron
03-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Andrew,
Ride Hard, Ride Safe, and Keep the Rubber Side Down

You Rock Little Dude !

I've got a big Camping trip, and a GIANT Desert, just waiting for you to go riding in, with Me, my Family, and all my Buddies.

Tell your Dad to bring you and your brother out here, and I'll have a big Toyhauler full of toys just waiting for you.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/Emoticons%20and%20funny%20pics/smiley16.gif

mcwilly
03-16-2011, 02:37 PM
http://www.atvriders.com/atvracing/tqra-atv-mx-racing-2011-02-race-report.html

mcwilly
03-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Thanks guys.
Ron, if we ever make it up that way you can count us in!

tri5ron
03-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Mcwilly,
did you get my email reguarding the magazine article?

mcwilly
06-29-2011, 11:52 AM
from a local track by the house

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/rx3732_1305640989905.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/rx3732_1305640989932.jpg

mcwilly
06-29-2011, 11:53 AM
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/rx3732/DSC_0031.jpg

mcwilly
06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Andrew's doing great so far this year with his racing. He won first place overall in the beginner quad Spring series at our local track which is where he first rode the quad on his own. It's a really kid friendly track/atmosphere and he enjoys riding out there.
He’s currently in 2nd place in the Pee Wee Jr. class in the TQRA series with 6 of 10 races in the books so far. :macho The bigger tracks in TQRA are a little more difficult for him but he’s doing great. I’ve still got some idea’s in mind to incorporate onto the quad to help keep his hands better secured on the bars when he gets into the really rough sections of the tracks.
Also, forgot to mention, Mike (etondaddy) it was great to meet you and Kevin at Steel City in Pennsylvania. I made it a point to look for you so I could shake your hand and tell you “thank you” in person. My older son got 3rd overall at that race in the 50cvt class…not bad for his first National race. :macho I was a nervous wreck all weekend though!

edit: posted some updated pics on the previous page

mcwilly
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Mcwilly,
did you get my email reguarding the magazine article?

I actually got an email from Terry yesterday. He's currently on family vacation but once he gets back, he'll be working on it. :cool:

etondaddy
06-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Also, forgot to mention, Mike (etondaddy) it was great to meet you and Kevin at Steel City in Pennsylvania. I made it a point to look for you so I could shake your hand and tell you “thank you” in person.

Hey man same here....... Kyle got a 4th overall at Steel City. Leaving for Sunday Creek Thursday after work looks like I'll be seeing ole' DC..... Dave Carter text me this morning to see if we were going........good luck the rest of the year, tell dude we all said super great job. Check out the new nat pics on Kyle's web site.

www.kylekozura.com

Mike Kozura

mxdad423
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
it was great to meet you and Kevin at Steel City in Pennsylvania.

edit: posted some updated pics on the previous page

Same here, was finally glad to put a face with a name. Andrew, keep up the GREAT riding, you are AWSOME. We are also getting ready to take off for Sunday Creek, Hope to see you guys again.:) :) :)

Kevin, Andria, and Brandon Smiltley #423

jweidner
07-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Wow Guys,

That's a story with a great ending, I hope Andrew kicks some butt out there!!! Looks like a hell of a kid... and he is on his way.

Dave, you did a GREAT JOB... We need more people like you!!!

Jason Weidner
Precision Motor Worx

mcwilly
07-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Online magazine article on Andrew!
Thanks Ron! And thanks Terry!

http://www.toyhauleradventures.com/2011/07/meet-andrew/
"brief" write-up about his quad, his condition and his racing 'career' :D

mcwilly
07-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Video Footage

Thanks to Levi (L16Films), I have some video footage of Andrew at one of our TQRA races a few weeks ago in Oklahoma.
The first half of the video is my 8yo on his orange 50 and his black/blue 70. We raced the AMA Nationals at Steel City in Pennsylvania on his 50 and he won 3rd overall.
The second half is Andrew (he wound up getting 2nd place in this race)
I watch him every race and I cant tell you how many times I've told him to slow down and/or ride smart (which really irritates him because he's trying so hard to win) but seeing him in the video, I cant believe just how fast he's going considering he has half the bike (in terms of speed and handling) of the other kids, on top of his physical "limitations". He's come a long way.
Levi, just so you know, the boys LOVE the video (so do Mom and I) so be prepared for some more work :D

YouTube Link (http://www.youtube.com/user/L16Films#p/a/u/1/m5pZ2yPGcaw)

mcwilly
07-20-2011, 08:56 AM
July's Quad of the Month winner!

http://www.atvriders.com/qotm/quad-of-the-month-2011-07-honda-trx90-atv.html

http://www.atvriders.com/images/qotm/2011/jul/qotm-2011-july-honda-trx90-atv-header.jpg

http://www.atvriders.com/images/qotm/2011/jul/qotm-2011-july-honda-trx90-atv-side.jpg

http://www.atvriders.com/images/qotm/2011/jul/qotm-2011-july-honda-trx90-atv-roost.jpg

http://www.atvriders.com/images/qotm/2011/jul/qotm-2011-july-honda-trx90-atv-jump.jpg

etondaddy
07-20-2011, 09:40 AM
sweet..............

Mike Kozura

coffing918
07-20-2011, 09:41 AM
wow. i give Andrew alot of credit, he is one tough little dude to be able to hold on like that and still be going that fast,, He is an inspiration!

mcwilly
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
Here are a couple of compilation video's of Andrew and his older brother, Jacob from 3 of our TQRA races.
Andrew wound up finishing 3rd overall in the Pee Wee Jr. class this season in TQRA!! :macho
Jacob finished 2nd overall in Pee Wee Sr. (50cvt) behind AMA 50cvt champ, Bryce Ford.

Andrew
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k94uqEWCIak?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k94uqEWCIak?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94uqEWCIak

Older brother, Jacob
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6XL0b-NecE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M6XL0b-NecE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6XL0b-NecE

etondaddy
08-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Cool stuff

nordic quad
08-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Great racing by both boys;)

Stein A