PDA

View Full Version : Quad for her....?

xsr_racing28c
08-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Well guys, I'm looking to guage some comments from you all who may have g/f's or wives with quads.

I'm looking to get my fiance a quad and make a project of it for over the winter months. She knows how to use a clutch and shift well but doesn't have a ton of experience on a machine.

I'm looking to get something to build for mx ( just cuz I want to have another build ) haha...

Any opinions or comments would be great.

Thanks, Jay

Regular_Joe
08-25-2008, 08:46 AM
This is headed down a bad road. You have an MX build agenda. The quickest way to turn a women off from powersports (bikes, quads, motorcycles) is to get them what we think they should have. Been there done that. If you really want her to ride, you have to get something exclusively for her that she wants and that fits her riding style the best. I have been at this road many times with women. Ultimately I got what was best for my fiancee and things turn out much better. I didn't do that with the ex and it made her really not enjoy it at all. The current one I have into ATVs and motorcycling. Its been great.

For example, if she can clutch and shift, but doesn't care for it, a 250ex might be the best thing for her. Likely you'd dismiss it on the spot. Its not standard, its not fast, its not powerful, suspension is ok at best, etc. But likely she doesn't care about those things. She probably just wants to bop around with you. She wants shifting, but not to deal with an actual clutch.

Just food for thought.

bwamos
08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
IMHO.. 400ex. Easiest quad to ride IMHO. Stable. Very forgiving. Plenty, but not too much power. Good ergonomics. Tons of aftermarket. Looks good. Mechanically very simple.. she doesn't have to watch coolant levels, etc... Very reliable as well. Reverse & e-Start.

Benjithx
08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
I am with "Bwamos."

My girl has a 400ex (Pink) and its perfect for her.

250r4life
08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
the Raptor in my sig is for my wife... i and several of my buddies have raptors for out wives... we ride mostly dunes, and what is nice is they have so much torque that they can be a gear or even two gears too high, and it still has the power to lug them...

shoot, without dropping the front sprocket to a 12, the raptor 660's 2nd gear is so wide they could stay in it for most of the day...

mine is especially great, as it rides like a cadillac, but is also 6 inches wider and 2 inches longer, so it is super stable and i dont have to worry about her rolling it...

and, what i really like is after im beat up from several days of riding my YFZ, her dune cadillac is great for me to ride as it is so smooth and effortless to ride..

450raider
08-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Regular_Joe
For example, if she can clutch and shift, but doesn't care for it, a 250ex might be the best thing for her. Likely you'd dismiss it on the spot. Its not standard, its not fast, its not powerful, suspension is ok at best, etc. But likely she doesn't care about those things. She probably just wants to bop around with you. She wants shifting, but not to deal with an actual clutch.

Just food for thought.

agreed, i bought a 250ex for our mom a few years ago and for her its perfect and since our mom dont even ride that much, it also serves a purpose as our backup quad when one of the 450's are out of commission over a weekend we plan to go riding...... if it was totally up to me id trade it for a wolverine or raptor250 but my mom dont care for sporty or clutchin or none of that so ex it is...

RideRed84
08-25-2008, 12:59 PM
I agree with the 250 guys. The 250 in my sig was bought for my g/f and I also use it as a back up quad and if I want to take someone else out for a ride. She's a lot smaller than me and has almost no experience so it was a great choice. It has more than enough power for her.

Regular_Joe
08-25-2008, 01:11 PM
I just used the 250ex as an example, but it is most likely a good choice. I got one for my fiancee and she is in love with it. Its pretty light and handles well. It has plenty of power for her. I have actually been teaching her to do wheelies on it. She can now get it up and do 3 or 4 good pumps of the gas before she lets it back down.

Comparatively she hated my 400ex and wouldn't try anything on it. Just too much power and she didn't care for the manual clutch. She drives motorcycles and uses the clutch there just fine, but then its only at the occasional stop sign. On tight trails and stuff on an atv she hates the clutch and it takes away from the fun for her.

xsr_racing28c
08-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I've been looking real hard at the 08-09 Raptor 250 for her. She really likes it too.

It's either that or she's getting an 09 KTM SX.. That way I can enjoy it too! :)

Jay;)

powermadd400ex
08-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
I've been looking real hard at the 08-09 Raptor 250 for her. She really likes it too.

It's either that or she's getting an 09 KTM SX.. That way I can enjoy it too! :)

Jay;)

:eek2:
if you ever wanna kid, im always open for adoption :p

justin1022
08-25-2008, 02:57 PM
get er a ex.

Off-Road Maniac
08-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I would say a 400EX.

Also some good stuff in this review:

2008 ATV's (http://atv.off-road.com/atv/data/articlestandard//atv/312008/533394/article.pdf)

TRX450RACER174
08-25-2008, 04:34 PM
My wife is 5'1 and she has a 08 Raptor 250se and she loves it fits her perfect and she is not intimidated by it, get her what she likes have her sit on some and figure out what feels comfortable to her opinions are good but in the end it's up to the rider.

bens250ex
08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
my g/f started on a 250ex hated it cause it was "too slow" suspension suck and ect i let her ride my 400 and it was over she wouldn't give it back! well then she wanted a new bike or she wouldn't ride so i thought about buildin a blaster then i went to a race and after the race she was like lets go buy a bike... i was confused? she was like i will help pay for it and such and i was still confused after soakin it in i was like ok if we buy one were gettin a good one so i decided on an 08 ltr450. we rode a couple times at the track and such then she wanted hers faster. (it already had a 440 with exhaust and stuff with elkas and +3 a-arms. so i knew it needed a cam and carb. so i set it up as i rebuilt it how she wanted it. she loves the bike now took her on her first dune trip she didn't want to go home. she is ready to go back. sad news is i need to sell the ltr. its really not what i can use the most and bein in college it sucks havin a note even though she pays half of it. so the ltr is forsale but i will be gettin another bike just a cheaper one.. haha but anyways i went broke buildin up her bike now i am broke ha but she loves it and sure don't want to sell it.

krt400ex
08-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
IMHO.. 400ex. Easiest quad to ride IMHO. Stable. Very forgiving. Plenty, but not too much power. Good ergonomics. Tons of aftermarket. Looks good. Mechanically very simple.. she doesn't have to watch coolant levels, etc... Very reliable as well. Reverse & e-Start.

x2

08-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Get her the four inches of the seat you have leftover behind you. Why blow money on something she might not even go for. The 250ex shifts insanley hard, climb off a true manual once then get on that and try shifting, its like lifting a shift lever with 20 lbs hanging on the end of it.

flattrack450
08-25-2008, 08:40 PM
OHHHH BOY!!!!!

I've been wondering, Why haven't you returned my calls lately?

Regular_Joe
08-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Prodigal
Get her the four inches of the seat you have leftover behind you. Why blow money on something she might not even go for. The 250ex shifts insanley hard, climb off a true manual once then get on that and try shifting, its like lifting a shift lever with 20 lbs hanging on the end of it.

I had a 400ex and 250ex at the same time. The 250ex is not hard to shift at all, especially when you take advantage of the sport clutch too.