PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell?

HondaRaceReady
08-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Last night I changed the oil and transmission fluid. When I took out the oil check bolt for the transmission nothing came out, but that was when the engine was cold. So I warmed it up and let it cool and checked and still nothing. So I was adding some more, nothing came out after I poured a lot. I figured the engine cooled down too much so I warmed it up again and cooled it down again and checked. Now it came slowly dripping out, but I left the bolt out for like 4 minutes and it was coming out the whole time. So then I thought the level was right and rode the bike. Next night I took out the bike and checked the level warm and some oil was at the hole but not dripping out. I let it warm up again because I wanted to ride it and I smelled something burning. It smelled exactly like when you blow out birthday candles. Would the temp light come on if the clutch or gears overheated? Because the engine oil was dead on. It had to be the transmission right?

08-24-2008, 07:46 PM
How long has it been since you changed the transmission oil? Is the clutch adjusted properly? If you clutch isn't adjusted right, it could constantly slip and burn up the fibers. That would make the oil really nasty and thick. I would pull the clutch cover and check it out.

REPOMAN
08-24-2008, 07:53 PM
i wouldnt think it would smell like blown out candles

ss440ex
08-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by REPOMAN
i wouldnt think it would smell like blown out candles

Thats what I was thinking!!!

And thats Birthday candles!!!

08-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Maybe they use asbestos in the candles in his neighborhood.

HondaRaceReady
08-24-2008, 08:46 PM
The bike is only like 3 weeks old so it was the first transmission fluid change. I dont think the clutch could be adjusted wrong, and the fluid I drained looked clean. It seriously did smell exactly like birthday candles though.

REPOMAN
08-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
The bike is only like 3 weeks old so it was the first transmission fluid change. I dont think the clutch could be adjusted wrong, and the fluid I drained looked clean. It seriously did smell exactly like birthday candles though. i believe you i just dont know what would make that smell

d3ktrix
08-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Prolly just the smell of hot metal from warming it up.
The OEM headers cook pretty good.

I doubt its related to the tranny oil.

BTW according to a Honda service bulletin they put out last year. They say your supposed to fill the tranny by volume and not the check bolt anymore.

Ever since like the 2nd oil change I gave my bike I gave up on the lil check bolt BS. I just poor in the correct CC's and go.
IMO they should of put a sight glass on that side too. Would be nice =)

08-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by HondaRaceReady
The bike is only like 3 weeks old so it was the first transmission fluid change. I dont think the clutch could be adjusted wrong, and the fluid I drained looked clean. It seriously did smell exactly like birthday candles though.

Just because it is new that doesn't mean the clutch is adjusted right. There are plenty of retards working at the motorcycle shops. How do you know the even put oil in that side. Maybe they filled the engine and didn't relize oil need to go on the other side. Maybe it was empty and that's why you got the burning smell. Maybe the oil came out clean because you just put it in. Somethings to think about.

represent618
08-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Dead on, I do the same thing.

Originally posted by d3ktrix

BTW according to a Honda service bulletin they put out last year. They say your supposed to fill the tranny by volume and not the check bolt anymore.

HondaRaceReady
08-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok, figured out the smell. The funnel I used melted to the heat sheild a little. So let me get this strait. Everyone says to fill up the transmission with the engine cold until oil comes out of the check bolt. The honda manual says to let it warm and cool so that the oil sits on the clutch and gears and that would mean you need more oil to have enough to make it come out of the bolt. It says to add from that. I did what the manual said, but which one is better?

08-25-2008, 07:04 PM
They are saying measure out how much the manual calls for and don't worry about the check bolt. that's what I have done since day 1. I've never taken that bolt out.

represent618
08-26-2008, 05:56 AM
exactly, if you are using 1 quart bottles you can pour out a little into another bottle and have the exact amount you need, pour it in.

or a measuring cup sure makes it simple.