PDA

View Full Version : Denton's LT250R?

rooster300ex
08-24-2008, 01:20 PM
What kind of tires are these. They look like stock trx250r rear tires but 18in, and lower profiled. Anybody know?

08-24-2008, 01:35 PM
At first I thought it was those Kenda Klaw MX 18x10.5x9 but I checked and they arn't.

ATV403
08-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Ohtsu did make several different race tires. The Pro-Comps were a very good XC tire. The front Pro-Comps looked just like the stock 250R front tires but were much heavier. They also made MX size tires for the front and rear that had the 250R tread design. I would say thats what you see here.

rooster300ex
08-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by ATV403
Ohtsu did make several different race tires. The Pro-Comps were a very good XC tire. The front Pro-Comps looked just like the stock 250R front tires but were much heavier. They also made MX size tires for the front and rear that had the 250R tread design. I would say thats what you see here.

Wish they still made them. I loved my stock 250r rear tires.

deathman53
09-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Ohtsu did sell exact tread as the stock 85-87(atc and trx tires), but in mx sizes. They were very hard to get and mostly only the pro honda guys were able to get them. They were ruled out for use, due to that normal people couldn't get them. I read about Mike Coe writing about how the pro team used them and they were told they couldn't use them abruptly. Strangely, the honda team didn't use ANY mugen parts. They could only use certain tires(in which they hated for the most part) and Paul Turner was soley the supplier for engine parts. Marty Hart seamed to get the best stuff and everybody else got the "middle" stuff. He was saying that it was quite embarrassing to be tucked in top speed and "fast eddie", team dg and other priviteers were shfting gears past them. If team honda used used mugen parts and other aftermarket parts, he beleives they could have done alot better.

He recalls, the reason why Curtis Sparks did so good was because he didn't use team honda's parts suppliers. He did all the engine work himself and bought parts from aftermarket suppliers and had everything so well tuned. Everything that Sparks used was able to be purchased by "normal" people and the big difference was he took extra time to get everything "just right". The rest of team honda using Paul Turner(except for Hart), was setup kinda generic and not finely tuned.

KingpinsEx
09-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Great info deathman, very interesting stuff. Those due look like some real nice biters, any other pics of dentons ride?

400exrider707
09-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Good info!

Look at that swingarm on that quad! Crazy!

800screws
01-18-2009, 12:39 PM
where did u find that pic? are there more of that quad? can u post a link. thanks

i tried searching on here, but i couldn't locate where u got it from.

ScottB125
01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Someones been on 3wheeler World..lol. I read Mike's stories on there, great stuff.

I liked the one where they confiscated Mike's trike and put his jug on Marty's bike....seems Pauls gave Mike all the seconds and Mike finally got tired of it. When he got a good running bike, they confiscated it and put those parts on Marty's trike.

swstandring
01-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Deathman hit the nail on the head, custom Otshu's from the late 80's team Honda days.

I have some pics of Denton's 88 TRX250R from the Southwick National.

Frame: Stock
A-Arms and Swingarm: Stock
Front Shocks: Stock
Rear Shock: Race Tech Revalved Stock
Tires: 21x7x10 custom Otshu Front
18 x 11 x 8 Grooved Turf Tamer's Rear

Amazing how stock even the Championship bikes were back then!

deathman53
01-21-2009, 05:25 PM
whats funny is the team honda atc's were far from stock. Until it was ruled out, alot of custom frames were used. Also, different clyinders, almost every bike had a different swingarm, most of them used mugen front forks, they had custom lightweight hubs, 10" front hubs. Almost every bike that Mike Coe had was different from race to race. I remember reading how Marty Hart almost always had custom frames. He recall about the atc500r, they had a few test bikes, more forward body positioning, shorter swingarm, pegs moved, different forks, maybe also leading axle front end. They copied it as far as they could, it handled alot better. The 200cc 2 strokes were a whole different matter, most were atc200x frame replicas, mtx200 motor, very different axle, swingarm and almost all custom. Look in the pictures section of 3ww, you will see some of the crazy creations they had. The 4 wheeled atv's were alo of stock. I have a dirtwheels article of the race atv's for 87 or 88. They look very stock.

swstandring
01-22-2009, 04:16 AM
I remember the old Team Honda got a lot of heat for running "works" stuff on their Fourtrax 250r's n '86 and '87 when Wright and Gentry won the Grand National Champoinships.

Lots of stuff on their bikes that no one else could get, including the tires that started this thread.

I know Gust has avocated for this for years but I'm still surprised that the ATVA has not set up a true "stock" class for the pro's to run. Suzuki, Polaris, Yamaha, KTM, and Can-Am all have 2009 bikes that would work well in MX right off the dealer floor...certainly much better then a stock Honda, Suzuki, or Kawasaki 250cc 2-stroke would have in the late 80's / early 90's.

I'd love to see the top racers out there running bikes with stock frames, suspension, engines etc. and see what those guys are capable of doing with equipment that is almost identical to what any average Joe can grab off the dealer floor.

Maybe allow some simple and basic setup and safety changes (kill switch, nerfs, tires, handlebars, contrls) nothing that affects performance...

deathman53
01-22-2009, 05:45 PM
actually most use stock frames, ruling doesn't allow aftermarket frames in pro production class(that most run). If aftermarket frames were still allowed in pro class, 250r's and hybrids would still be winning. Ruling has done with alway with aftermarket frames and that drove the nail for 250r's and hybrids.

Which 450?
01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Good info!

Look at that swingarm on that quad! Crazy!

thats stock on a '85-'86